Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 01:41 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
Personal attacks aren't allowed.

And the point is that the job requirement would never have BEEN to speak Spanish if our government wasn't kowtowing to Spanish immigrants, including illegals, who won't learn English.

And if someone is here and naturalized, they would have been required to learn English to become a citizen. Why then are we still forcing OUR own citizens to learn THEIR language? THEY should be learning OURS.
Thanks for the reminder Karen.

So you must speak Navajo then?

Also, if you think that someone who has gone through the naturalization process walks away with proficiency in English...well, you would think that so never mind.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:51 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
What does that have to do with anything I wrote? And what does your response have to do with anything related to the title of this thread? A question was asked and I answered it. Try to follow the logic if you can.

You have some serious anger issues calling people "invaders" and "arrogant" because they speak their primary language. Who made you the authority on what someone can or cannot speak? How do you know if someone who speaks Spanish is here legally or illegally or what Spanish speaking country they are from?

Seriously, get some therapy or some meds.
The Portuguese coming here legally is a whole different thing than these illegal aliens coming here illegally. You don't know the difference? Those here illegally are invaders! WTH does an ample description of them have to do with anger? And yes, immigrants who come here and refuse to learn or speak English are arrogant!

Where did I say that if someone is speaking Spanish that they must be here illegally? I never said that nor do I think that!

You need some therapy and meds for your angry, unawarranted response to me!

Old 09-17-2021, 01:58 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Well DUH. If the job requirement is to speak Spanish why would they be considered for the job?

Here we go again with the "native - born American" crap. So if someone is here and naturalized, I guess they shouldn't be allowed to get that job because they aren't "native-born"?

Also, news flash "Native Americans" didn't speak English either.

Your ignorance is astounding.
Why would there be a requirement to speak Spanish to get a job in this country in the first place? That's discriminating against native English speakers. Most Spanish speakers here legally are bi-lingual. Are you unaware that there are millions of other people in this country who speak a different native language other than Spanish? Should knowing all of their languages be a job requirement to?

Who in heck said that a naturalized citizen shouldn't be able to get a job in our country but they have to know English in order to become one in the first place.

Everyone born in this country to citizen or legal immigrant parents is a native born American citizen. There are no special ones. All of our distant relatives migrated here from somewhere else including the Amerindians. Since when don't most of these Amerindians alive today speak English?

Now who's the ignorant one?

Old 09-17-2021, 02:03 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would there be a requirement to speak Spanish to get a job in this country in the first place? That's discriminating against native English speakers. Most Spanish speakers here legally are bi-lingual. Are you unaware that there are millions of other people in this country who speak a different native language other than Spanish? Should knowing all of their languages be a job requirement to?

Who in heck said that a naturalized citizen shouldn't be able to get a job in our country but they have to know English in order to become one in the first place.

Everyone born in this country to citizen or legal immigrant parents is a native born American citizen. There are no special ones. All of our distant relatives migrated here from somewhere else including the Amerindians. Since when don't most of these Amerindians alive today speak English?

Now who's the ignorant one?

Why would you hire anyone who never dedicated themselves to learning a 2nd (or 3rd) language when you had the option of hiring someone who did?

Old 09-17-2021, 02:08 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
When we purchased those states from MX, the fine print stated: these areas of the U.S. will Always remain bi-lingual.

Americans are the laziest people in the world when it comes to learning a foreign language. If you lived in Germany, you'd have to know a little Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, English. The most multi-lingual people in the world are in Europe.

Americans have the easiest language in the world to learn, Spanish, and they can't even do that! Pure laziness!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:09 PM

1,109 posts, read 745,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Having items labeled in both languages doesn't hurt you, but it helps people who are learning English with obscure food names, something I could have used when living in Mexico!
You don't actually believe new immigrants are trying to learn English, do you? Maybe very few. My wife's Chinese, and nearly all of her friends have no intention of assimilating. They get along just find in their communities without learning English, and even send their kids to Chinese-speaking private schools.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:22 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
The ignorance behind the unwillingness to communicate with others along with the lack of respect for the country that gave them an opportunity, is appalling.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:54 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
it's not uncommon in Miami to run into Cubans that came here 40 years ago as kids....Mariel boatlift....and still can't speak English...after 40 years
Even so they are a very tiny portion of Cubans who probably live in Hialeah and have no need to learn English in the small & limited world they live in.
The vast majority of Cubans in Miami are Bi-Lingual.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:55 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
You don't actually believe new immigrants are trying to learn English, do you? Maybe very few. My wife's Chinese, and nearly all of her friends have no intention of assimilating. They get along just find in their communities without learning English, and even send their kids to Chinese-speaking private schools.

My mom taught ESL for many years, and I have volunteered teaching English to adults for more than a decade. Yes, I absolutely know new immigrants are trying to learn English. I also know how exceptionally difficult it is to learn a new language as an adult.

For the record, my family has been here for over 100 years and I still have no intention of assimilating. It's a priority to me to send my kids to cultural-specific schools and programs so they don't lose it the way their parents and grandparents did.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:00 PM

962 posts, read 540,365 times
Anyone who believes Spanish will be the majority spoken language has never interacted with the children of immigrants. The kids speak English better than they speak Spanish.

30 years from now, the number of Spanish speakers will be a fraction of what it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies