Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 08:20 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
Is that why Spanish immigrants have trouble learning English, and require signs and labels in Spanish, when immigrants from France and Italy and China and elsewhere apparently have less difficulty? (At least that's what I surmise since you don't see grocery labels in French, or Italian, or Chinese.) They just never learned a complex language and only spoke a simple one all their lives?
There are plenty of Chinese language signs in supermarkets and shops these days. Plenty of products that are written in Chinese too.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
I'm hardly inferior, first in my class in high school AND college, but go ahead and start off your response with an insult. (So typical for libs. Why do liberals have to smear and insult people all the time? Unless they're illegals, of course - then then defend them.) And "Karen" is a racist slap, too.

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS - and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens in Spanish.

If Spanish immigrants were willing to learn English, and thus not prevent otherwise highly qualified Americans from getting jobs, there wouldn't be so much resentment against them. They are making it worse for Americans born here, and liberals like you are fine with that because, as we all know, liberals put immigrants ahead of Americans.
You realize you are admitting that you were not the most highly qualified for the job, right? They wanted somebody who speaks Spanish, and you don't. By definition, you are not the most qualified.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:23 PM

947 posts, read 297,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
There are plenty of Chinese language signs in supermarkets and shops these days. Plenty of products that are written in Chinese too.
Not where I am. Aisles are marked with English and Spanish, and many products in English and Spanish. Advertising flyers are in English and Spanish. The option at checkout is English or Spanish. I see nothing in Chinese, other than the labels on the Chinese food products.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You realize you are admitting that you were not the most highly qualified for the job, right? They wanted somebody who speaks Spanish, and you don't. By definition, you are not the most qualified.
No. I'm pointing out that I *WAS* the most qualified based on my knowledge of the industry and my experience with the job tasks. The fact that the U.S. government now requires its employees to communicate to naturalized immigrants in Spanish, when these immigrants were required to learn English for their citizenship, is ridiculous.

Analogy: The want someone who knows how to develop XYS products, with specific experience in XYS Version 2.2 highly desired. They also want someone who can curl his tongue. Now, there are two candidates: one who has twenty years with XYS products, and five years with Version 2.2, AND a national award for his work with 2.2. The other candidate has ten years with XYS products, none with Version 2.2 and he can curl his tongue. So he gets the job.

The first candidate was better qualified because the requirement to be able to curl one's tongue was ridiculous. So too is having to explain taxpayer-paid benefits to U.S. citizens in a foreign language instead of English.

It's just a bunch of virtue-signaling by our left-leaning government.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
Not where I am. Aisles are marked with English and Spanish, and many products in English and Spanish. Advertising flyers are in English and Spanish. The option at checkout is English or Spanish. I see nothing in Chinese, other than the labels on the Chinese food products.
It depends on which part of the USA you live.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
It depends on which part of the USA you live.
I live in Washington, DC.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:57 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Is that why Spanish immigrants have trouble learning English, and require signs and labels in Spanish, when immigrants from France and Italy and China and elsewhere apparently have less difficulty? (At least that's what I surmise since you don't see grocery labels in French, or Italian, or Chinese.) They just never learned a complex language and only spoke a simple one all their lives?
Many immigrants that come are older. Language is not as easy to learn after a certain age. My friend’s mom was a physicist, yet never got the English or driving. Some never had a formal education. Yes, there’s still a lot of illiteracy in the world.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:59 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
I live in Washington, DC.
When I visited NY I noticed more Chinese on TV etc. Washington had a lot of Salvadorians at one time.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:06 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I can communicate with everyone in Miami. Never been an issue for me. And I don't need to have anything in common with someone to participate with them in civic life. That's weird that you want everyone to be like you. B-O-R-I-N-G. (Seriously, get that pastel de guava. It'll change your life. Happy to send you a dozen next time I visit my mom.)

And we are talking about language, not illegal immigration, which I have quite strong feelings about. My parents came here through a lot of red tape and eventually became citizens. My cousins took a decade to arrive, too. Other than refugees, asylum seekers and migrant workers, everyone should go through the same process. But again, we are talking about language, which includes the languages of LEGAL immigrants.

Our identifying culture is made up of the cultures brought over by immigrants over hundreds of years. Why don't you love the fabric of America?
I loved it when it was a melting pot not a salad bowl and assimilation into the main culture and learning and speaking English was the norm, not so today! Why don't you love the fabric that this country was founded on instead of the balkinization of today? And no, opposites don't attract. More homogenous societies are a lot happier and when immigrants assimilate into their society not the other way around.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:08 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Latinos influx into this country is large and constant. It's much cheaper for them to have children here (especially with welfare systems in place) and they greatly outnumber other races when it comes to birthrates.

Is this trend going to slow down or ramp up?
Yes it is and their children automatically become citizens. This is what I don't understand about states wanting to make abortion harder to get. They want these kids born but then complain about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies