Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 12:15 PM

8,400 posts, read 4,654,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I still get these amazed looks from my mom's friends when I speak Spanish. "For a gringa, she speaks so well!"
Hahaha nice! TBH I’ve just been lazy. Languages aren’t that hard for me, I just haven’t put in the effort I should have.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
This is the second time you've called me arrogant and Hispanics in general. I think you've had a traumatizing personal experience and extrapolated it to millions of others.
It is arrogance to act like Hispanics are more friendly, accepting and inviting of those outside of their ethnic group. Hispanics don't hold the corner of the market on that and yet you singled them out for that. Eat your own words!

I have not had a "traumatizing" personal experience with them or any others. Stop with the melodramatics! I oppose illegal immigration for valid reasons and that is why Spanish is becoming prevalent in this country and native English speakers are being discriminated against in hiring practices. Hispanics here legally or that are citizens of our country are usually bi-lingual so they know English. Remain in denial if you wish!

It also reeks of arrogance that so many Hispanics in our country want open borders so that more of their ethnic group can get into our country and want amnesty for those who violated our immigration laws. It's a tribal mentality.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-18-2021 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 12:52 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
You didn't address the separation of religious groups and Native Americans, which means you have no issues with them. Just Hispanics. Noted.
I don't even know what you are talking about! I have no issue with groups that learn and speak English. All the Amerindians (they are no more native to this country than the Europeans were) that I know only speak English in this country.

Hispanics here illegally of course I have an issue with them and one of the downfalls of that is the increased use of Spanish out in mainstream America. Why wouldn't you find fault with that?

Old 09-18-2021, 03:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Ive traveled overseas before where I was not given the option to select English and therefore I had to figure it out on my own real quick if I wanted to get by. I dont go to other countries expecting them to cater to me and I dont think our country should either. Enabling allows laziness.
I think it's great when other countries cater to me and other foreigners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
if you dont know English your out of luck.
Well this is awkward...

Old 09-18-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I agree, I have been studying modern standard Chinese for years. In some ways it is so simple (grammar wise) ... but there are almost no cognates with Indo-European languages, it takes a while to learn to distinguish the tones and a long time to learn enough of the writing characters to be functional in it.
I can read Chinese just fine, but can't write. I'm not sure it's that necessary in the modern era of IMes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Gonna ramp up like crazy. FL already is a new Cuba.
About 70% of people in Florida speak only English.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Try and get a job in Miami without knowing Spanish. Good luck with that!
You're obviously just making things up as you go along here, which is generally how fear-mongering (the entire point of this thread) works.

Quote:
You pushed learning Spanish yourself! In order to get hired for many jobs these days one needs to know Spanish because of these illegal invaders and other arrogant Spanish speakers that refuse to learn or speak English. Is that a good reason to learn Spanish in this English speaking country? Hell no, it isn't! Your whole post reeks of anti-Americanism!
Before the pandemic hit the unemployment rate was what something like 3%? Clearly the existence of jobs that require Spanish isn't the boogeyman you're making it out to be.

Quote:
Why would there be a requirement to speak Spanish to get a job in this country in the first place? That's discriminating against native English speakers.
I suspect most jobs requiring someone to speak Spanish are that way because it makes that person more effective in that job. It's not discrimination anymore than me posting a software developer job requiring someone can code in Python because that's our dev stack. Go apply for a different job you're qualified for instead of playing victim.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The USA is very close to splitting apart.
No it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
AGREE. Excellent candidates aren't even considered for jobs - including those in the federal government! - unless they know Spanish, and a much lesser candidate - often the offspring of a Spanish-speaking immigrant, is selected instead
Your definition of "excellent" is probably out of wack.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:59 PM

It's interesting how high a percentage of population in many other countries speak English.

Netherlands = 90%
Norway = 90%
Sweden = 89%
Denmark = 86%
Singapore = 83%
Austria = 73%
Finland = 70%
Malaysia = 63%
Sri Lanka = 62%

I wonder if they are starting threads somewhere fretting about English everywhere, or accepting that population/language is a non-binary development driven by both convenience and economic necessity. Singapore went so far as to make English one of their official languages.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:13 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Spanish is only useful if you want to communicate better with your house cleaner or yard worker who is an immigrant from a Central American country.
Wow. Baiting I guess .

Old 09-18-2021, 04:14 PM

1,829 posts, read 803,916 times
after looking at that stuff in del rio on the news, about three days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.