Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 06:36 PM

947 posts, read 295,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The 2 richest countries in the western hemisphere are predominantly English-speaking.

Educational standards have fallen in the United States as more Spanish speakers have infiltrated this country.

Is this any coincidence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Educational outcomes have fallen for many reasons. Having bilingual people is low on a weighted list of reasons.
The poster said educational standards have fallen as more Spanish speakers have infiltrated the country. He said nothing about bilingual.

And certainly, having students in American classrooms who can't speak English is a negative to the caliber of instruction.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 724,751 times
Coming to you soon in the Southwest U.S.: "Press 2 for English."

Yes or no?

Old 09-19-2021, 06:47 PM

8,400 posts, read 4,654,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Coming to you soon in the Southwest U.S.: "Press 2 for English."

Yes or no?
Since Spanish was there long before English...it would just be coming full circle, as another poster said.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:48 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketties View Post
Depends if they go to public school with a white teacher. This term is an invention by white liberals that no one in my community would know unless they are brainwashed by far left non-Latinos.
I would not dispute that. As I said, the older Latinos I've asked about it have been "WTF?"

Quote:
Still makes me cringe when a white person uses that abhorrent term.
I cringe and I'm not even Latino. I can't even figure out that would be pronounced in Spanish.

It's one of those "problems" that should have been left to the Latino community to resolve in their own way...if they even consider it a problem.

It's rather arrogant for white liberals to have "solved" it for them.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Educational outcomes have fallen for many reasons. Having bilingual people is low on a weighted list of reasons.
Because you say so? We aren't talking about bi-linguals we are talking about non-English speaking, Spanish speaking illegal aliens enrolling in our schools en masse.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:56 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Spanish was the first European language spoken in this territory - so maybe now going full circle?
No, it's an illegal invasion from south of our border by Spanish speakers. What difference does it make what first European language was spoken in the U.S.? We made English our national de facto language, not Spanish. The Ameridian's languages were the first ones spoken here anyway.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:01 PM

8,293 posts, read 3,785,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketties View Post
No, I stand by my word. And you’re an embarrassment to my great state. Reading your replies, no surprise you are a lawyer. Leeches is a kind word. RINOS would be those idiots who supported every war against brown people and started drug trades and wars in our countries...

my Latinos (LatinX LMAO)...
If you don't like me and other conservatives in the Great State of Texas, you're in the wrong state. Sorry, but we're not going to flip to your liberal kind. You're embarrassed not by me but by your own liberal views in a state that doesn't stand for your nonsense.

It's telling that you put down my profession and those of us who work hard. Perhaps why you Latinos get a bad rep. Perhaps you should try hard work sometime.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:01 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Si, yo hablo Espanol?

Muy poquito.

For now, get the babble subscription and buckle up son, this is not you 're country anymore.

I guess the Mexicans did indeed get it back.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:08 PM

141 posts, read 47,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Only a fool would believe that with the constant influx of Spanish speaking illegals into our country that English won't lose its place as the dominant and identifying language of our country. Stick your heads in the sand if you wish. Those of us who are wide awake won't.
You shouldn't conflate the two. The influx of immigrants without visas/greencards is a major problem and should be a top priority. Whether they speak Spanish or not does not matter. Our identifying languages such as English and Spanish are sound. Today English is dominant and tomorrow Spanish might be, but English is not going anywhere (and neither is Spanish).

We need to focus on keeping people who shouldn't be here out.

Last edited by OldFarmerAmerican; 09-19-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,535,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
It's hard on the ear and takes way too many syllables to say anything

House = Casa 1 vs 2
Please = Por favor 1 vs 3
Thanks = Gracias 1 vs 3
But they can ditch the pronoun, which makes a big difference with the most common verbs, which also happen to among the highest frequency words.

I saw = vi 2 vs 1
I go = voy 2 vs 1
They are = son 2 vs 1
You give = das 2 vs 1
etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
They mispronounce many letters
Wouldn't they say the same thing about you? By the way why waste time with the double "t" there when it doesn't change the pronunciation, "letra" is easier to write than "letter" right?

As long as you're complaining about pronunciation, weigh vs. tough vs. through? How efficient is it to have letters you sometimes don't pronounce, and sometimes do?

Last edited by lieqiang; 09-19-2021 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.