Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 09:24 PM

141 posts, read 47,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
True, to a minor degree, but no language butchers letters like spanish. None.

It''s far worse that the way Scots speak.

IF you want to prove it to yourself, go somewhere that they have signs saying the same thing in different languages, and see which one is not only longer but also the most syllables.
Quote:
Read post 331.

BTW, the French are as bad.

Recent storm Henri is mispronounced in French as if it were spelled OnRee. The correct pronunciation for Henri or Henry is Hen (like a chicken) Ree (like reed or deed without the "d")
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
French is bad (albeit not as bad as English), but Spanish (only second to Italian, from what I understand), stays fairly close to archaic Latin's usage of letters (which carries over to classic Latin).
Quote:
Just remember this.

English is the Universal Language of all that matters.

As far as I am concerned, English IS the Gold Standard, and I'm sticking to it.
How is English the gold standard compared to Latin and its closer derivatives like Italian and Spanish? When you discuss languages that butcher letters, English is not even close to the Gold Standard.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:47 AM

27,271 posts, read 28,339,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
Currently, nobody should worry about English being the “go to” language for commerce, negotiations, etc….

But your children and grandkids better learn Chinese and Spanish as English will become the “French” of today.
I will be waiting for when the Chinese or the Latin Americans develop the most powerful military or create the next disruptive technology.

Or even landing a man on the moon would be a start (kind of).

Old 09-21-2021, 07:59 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
It will never happen. Most native Spanish speakers descendants speak English as there first language after a generation or two. Same as it always has been.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:18 PM

2,400 posts, read 775,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
I still can't tell if you're trolling or not.

I would have thought that no one would suggest that a language 'butchers letters' just because some of the letters of the alphabet are used to represent different sounds than they are in English, but all sorts come out on these forums so it's hard to tell.

I would not refer to any language as butchering letters, but I suppose there are two instances in which you could make that argument:

One is if they use the letters to represent sounds differently to how they were originally done in the first language to use the alphabet, ie Latin. In that case, English and pretty much every other modern European language butchers the letters as much as Spanish does.

The other instance would be if a language is internally inconsistent with its phonetics. If the letter C for example sometimes makes a hard 'k' sound (eg can) and sometimes makes a soft 's' sound (eg cent) and sometimes makes a 'sh' sound (eg suspicion) then I suppose you could say it butchers letters. Again, English seems to be a major culprit here.

English rules all of import.

Aviation
Diplomacy
Int'l Commerce
Computing
etc.

Spanish rabbits on endlessly. Syllable after syllable.

French is silly
German is ok
English RULES

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You're free to think whatever you wish.

I do agree, however English offers its own challenges. Such as Pacific. A hard and soft "c" in one word.
Nevertheless, it is compact, efficient and rules!!

Old 09-21-2021, 12:21 PM

2,400 posts, read 775,860 times
Quote:
Currently, nobody should worry about English being the “go to” language for commerce, negotiations, etc….

But your children and grandkids better learn Chinese and Spanish as English will become the “French” of today.
Chinese, possibly.

Spanish, never (nobody of any consequence speaks it, with the possible exception of Spain, but I don't see them as a major player anymore).

Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM

14,462 posts, read 11,207,014 times
Quote:

Based on what information?

Old 09-21-2021, 02:43 PM

28,568 posts, read 18,579,280 times
Quote:
Chinese, possibly.
The Chinese prefer others leave their language alone...they will speak English.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:47 PM

28,568 posts, read 18,579,280 times
Quote:
I do agree, however English offers its own challenges. Such as Pacific. A hard and soft "c" in one word.
Nevertheless, it is compact, efficient and rules!!
I seems to me that the big advantage of English is that a person can totally hose the grammar, but still be understandable as long as vocabulary and word order are correct. It's hard to get perfect, but easy to get intelligible.

It seems with other languages that if you get practically anything wrong, the sentence becomes gibberish to them. Or at least that's they way they act.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:04 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,145,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Eh, about half of my family is Hispanic and 1/2 again speak some Spanish, the rest have fell away over the last 100 years. If your in the SW for more than a couple generations you more than likely have some people in your family speaking at least some Spanish.
If learning/speaking Spanish has value then people will learn it and keep it. The relative value of Spanish has increased dramatically in the last 40 years. Being bilingual has become almost a necessity in certain parts of the country and in certain occupations.

Spanish is different than other languages because of the sheer number of people who speak it. In the Western Hemisphere, South America has a population of 434 million and North America has a population of 596 million, for a combined population of more than a billion. Only about a third of those speak English.

About 60 million Americans speak Spanish(almost 20% of the country), and that number should continue to rise.

The only reason English is so broadly spoken is because it is the language of business(IE the language of money). If Latin-America caught-up economically to the United States there would be a significant push to learn Spanish.

Also, white people are seemingly incapable of replacing themselves.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 09-21-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-21-2021, 03:06 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,240,942 times
Agitprop pearl-clutching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies