Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2022, 03:03 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
OMG! A poster on City Data PoC that makes rational sense. You, sir, are a rarity.
It's rational to you to embrace a foreign culture who's presence here is much due to illegal immigration and their ethnocentric supporters and you said you're not pro-illegal?????

Old 03-05-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I don't view this as an issue. I should probably learn spanish anyway.
Illegal immigration isn't an issue with you? Why should you learn Spanish? Hispanics here legally and/or are citizens of our country know how to speak English to communicate with you.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:19 PM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
A long long time.

I hear Spanish a lot but I still think it won't be a Spanish majority if ever in this country. Gut check. Could be wrong, I don't know.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A long long time.

I hear Spanish a lot but I still think it won't be a Spanish majority if ever in this country. Gut check. Could be wrong, I don't know.
As I said, it all depends on whether this invasion is stopped and we deport those here illegally.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:27 PM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, it all depends on whether this invasion is ended and we deport those here illegally.
I know your positions on this subject and I largely agree.

But know this in your heart, you should disabuse yourself of the idea that the current illegals here are ever going to get deported is a pipe dream. Will not ever happen

I don't agree with it but it will never happen..l know it and you do do too.

Old 03-05-2022, 04:02 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
A long long time.

I think it's just logical. The Spanish-speaking illegal population is too small compared to the overall population of the USA to turn the country into a majority Spanish-language country. But it will, and already has, changed our language. Some Spanish words will become commonly used in English.

Already people who don't otherwise speak Spanish say "see you manana" or use terms like "bodega". That has happened with other languages' influence on English in the past.

Again, this is just how human language works. Que sera, sera.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I know your positions on this subject and I largely agree.

But know this in your heart, you should disabuse yourself of the idea that the current illegals here are ever going to get deported is a pipe dream. Will not ever happen

I don't agree with it but it will never happen..l know it and you do do too.
No, I don't know it as I don't have a defeatist attitude. Why do you suppose there hasn't another amnesty since 1986? Remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will leave on their own and the rest can be deported as they make themselves known. Removing the incentives will encourage fewer of them to continue to come here to along with finishing the wall. Will we rid our country entirely of them? No, of course not but we can put a serious dent in it.

I didn't serve several years in the military to help protect our country to roll over and accept an illegal invasion on our own border and will continue to fight for what is right for my fellow Americans till by dying breath. How anyone can say that I'm a hater based on that is beyond ridiculous. I guess if you object to rapists, murderers, thieves, etc. that also makes you a hater then according to some in here? Huh?

Old 03-05-2022, 10:23 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So we aren't entitled to secure our border and deport these illegal aliens? We should embrace them and their culture and language instead? There are only 50 million Hispanics in our country (including the illegal ones) vs over 330 million people total, total.

Nothing wrong with being bi-lingual but assimilation to English is desirable for the obvious reasons. I don't see two opposing cultures as a strength. Why would it be? Bush had an Hispanic daughter-in-law. He also pushed amnesty for illegal aliens. Go figure.

No, we don't need to embrace a foreign culture competing with ours especially since that culture is growing via illegal immigration. Are you kidding me?

The reality of our country is that we have immigration laws and that's all that counts in regards to this issue. We have several other minority, foreign cultures living in our country why should we embrace the Hispanic one specifically when it is growing via illegal immigration? We need to deport these people not embrace them and their culture. You're no conservative if you think so.
On most issues we are on the same side. On this issue we stand apart. Also I do take issue with your statement that I am no conservative. I support small government, our constitutional liberties and capitalism. I am also a strong supporter of traditional values. I believe my conservative credentials are quite strong.

I also want to clear up something that you obviously have misunderstood about me. I do not support illegal immigration, amnesty and I support the deportation of illegal immigrants. I also support prosecution of those who employ or harbor illegal immigrants (sanctuary city officials). I believe I take a tough stance on illegal immigration just like you do. Where we part ways obviously is my support for legal immigration. All Hispanics I have ever known are here legally. Most could speak English and made an effort to assimilate. They also are some of the hardest working people I have known. I also believe their culture enhances ours. It seems you see their culture as a threat. I just do not see it that way. I see a place for them in the conservative movement, as I said in a previous post they are hard working, entrepreneurial and many hold traditional values. As a conservative who believes in capitalism and traditional values myself I see them as natural political allies. Why should we allow the left to court Hispanics when ideologically they could become good republicans? I believe George W Bush saw it that way too.

A full 20 percent of our country is Hispanic and that is not going to change. The Hispanic presence in our country is old and it enriches our culture. My point is that we should embrace it and celebrate it. Doing so is not a threat to our Anglophone traditions.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:35 PM

8,942 posts, read 11,732,271 times
I learned Spanish in school and have forgotten most of it.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
On most issues we are on the same side. On this issue we stand apart. Also I do take issue with your statement that I am no conservative. I support small government, our constitutional liberties and capitalism. I am also a strong supporter of traditional values. I believe my conservative credentials are quite strong.

I also want to clear up something that you obviously have misunderstood about me. I do not support illegal immigration, amnesty and I support the deportation of illegal immigrants. I also support prosecution of those who employ or harbor illegal immigrants (sanctuary city officials). I believe I take a tough stance on illegal immigration just like you do. Where we part ways obviously is my support for legal immigration. All Hispanics I have ever known are here legally. Most could speak English and made an effort to assimilate. They also are some of the hardest working people I have known. I also believe their culture enhances ours. It seems you see their culture as a threat. I just do not see it that way. I see a place for them in the conservative movement, as I said in a previous post they are hard working, entrepreneurial and many hold traditional values. As a conservative who believes in capitalism and traditional values myself I see them as natural political allies. Why should we allow the left to court Hispanics when ideologically they could become good republicans? I believe George W Bush saw it that way too.

A full 20 percent of our country is Hispanic and that is not going to change. The Hispanic presence in our country is old and it enriches our culture. My point is that we should embrace it and celebrate it. Doing so is not a threat to our Anglophone traditions.
Since all the Hispanics you know are here legally that means that there aren't millions of them here illegally? Huh? I never said that Hispanics here legally don't know English either. My remarks are about those here illegally and that is why we hear so much Spanish being spoken in our country. How does the Hispanic culture enhance ours? They are entirely two different cultures and incorporating them together just dilutes ours. I don't want us to be known as another Hispanic country there are several of them already on the Western Hemisphere and certainly don't want to incorporate their culture into ours because of illegal immigration.

No ethnic group holds the corner of the market for being hard working either. To me that just borders on racism to make such a claim. As long as the Democrats keep promising their ethnic group amnesty Hispanics will continue to vote for them in large numbers regardless of any so-called conservative values they might have. George Bush courted them on the same premise as he pushed an amnesty and he also had an Hispanic daughter-in-law. Go figure.

Again, with the claim that Hispanic or any other culture enriches ours? How does another culture enrich ours all it does is dilute it and it shouldn't be enriched or diluted via illegal immigration as that is neither natural nor lawful.

I don't have a problem with legal Hispanics here except for those who want amnesty for their illegal amigos. That's a tribal mentality that trumps our immigration laws. Is that enriching us? Why would we embrace that?

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-06-2022 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.