Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,686,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
1) FDR's last year as President was 1945. That means that only someone 76 years old or older was alive during has last year in office. Most people aren't really plugged into politics until the age of 20 or so (most, much later than that). Ergo, anyone younger than 96 years old has no adult memory of his Presidency.
2) History books lie. As such, unless you were alive to witness his Presidency, your opinion is probably based on misinformation. Historians are already saying Obama was a great POTUS, when those of us who experienced his dumpster fire of an administration know better.

3) It will be interesting to how many 96+ year olds respond to this thread, since everyone else's responses lack credibility (through no fault of their own).
There is hard data from that period that one can review, economic and other statistics, speech transcripts, many things

Old 09-19-2021, 05:57 PM

9,365 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
There is hard data from that period that one can review, economic and other statistics, speech transcripts, many things
You're probably right, but I've become so jaded with the media and academia over the last 10 years or so that I believe almost nothing any more.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:31 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
1) FDR's last year as President was 1945. That means that only someone 76 years old or older was alive during has last year in office. Most people aren't really plugged into politics until the age of 20 or so (most, much later than that). Ergo, anyone younger than 96 years old has no adult memory of his Presidency.
2) History books lie. As such, unless you were alive to witness his Presidency, your opinion is probably based on misinformation. Historians are already saying Obama was a great POTUS, when those of us who experienced his dumpster fire of an administration know better.

3) It will be interesting to how many 96+ year olds respond to this thread, since everyone else's responses lack credibility (through no fault of their own).
True
My grandpa was actually born in-between FDR winning his first term and him actually taking office and remembers basically nothing about him

Old 09-19-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why is that? Because Roosevelt wasn't a Republican, like Hoover?
They're both awful presidents

Old 09-19-2021, 09:34 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
They're both awful presidents
What about Coolidge, the one actually responsible.

Isn't he worshipped by the republicans like Ben Shapiro?

Old 09-19-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Roosevelt was such a bad president against the country then explain how in the heck did he win reelection in 1936 by 61%. The Republican only got 36.5%. Do you theorize Americans were even more vastly ignorant during the 1930s than they are now?
I already answered this question earlier
People are sheep

Someone winning office doesnt automatically make them a good president
It's an utterly meaningless way to judge how good someone was at their job

We have tons of lifelong politicians that's are awful at their jobs

I'm far more considered with what he actually did in office than how people voted

Old 09-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Why would I care what Ben Shapiro thinks?
Why do you think if I trash FDR I have to align myself with Shapiro?

Why are you incapable of not being placed into a box politically?

It's actually comical at this point that you can say you don't like something politically and people just assume if you don't like x then you have to like y from the other side.You don't. Well in a sense comical but also really sad.

I've had similar things happen in other threads where for example I criticized Biden for something and someone says oh yea well Trump did x y and z when I haven't said anything good about those things either.

FDR absolutely did not cause the Depression. Anyone who thinks he did is a fool. That doesn't make him a good president.

If the title of this thread was Coolidge a good president that's who I'd be talking about

Old 09-19-2021, 11:37 PM

13,289 posts, read 4,123,131 times
Quote:
What a joke, is was Coolidge and Hoover's policies that caused the great depression.

The Great Depression had nothing to do with a government policy. The Great Depression hit world wide and hit Europe hard that force Spain in a Civil War and brought the Nazis to power, Fascists to take over Italy and a civil war in China and other unrest countries to the extreme and force Japan to expand, the list is endless. It began after the market crash of 1929. There wasn't a government policy that would have prevented for what was coming which ended in WW 2. The Federal Reserved was a problem and We all know a President doesn't tell the Federal Reserved how to run the economy side of this nation. Presidents bow down to the Reserve.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,247,175 times
Quote:

Collidge (and Hoover) were minor players not venerated by anybody; Hoover and his cronies actually pushed for more economic meddling before Roosevelt was elected.

That didn't work, of course; the real key to the end of the Great Depression was the Supreme Court's invalidation of the National Recovery Act in the spring of 1935. For almost two years afterward, the economy ralied -- until the Democrats started beatung the "tax-and-spend" war drums again.

But you'll never hear this from the Left-leaning dream merchants of the mass electronic media.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
The Great Depression had nothing to do with a government policy. The Great Depression hit world wide and hit Europe hard that force Spain in a Civil War and brought the Nazis to power, Fascists to take over Italy and a civil war in China and other unrest countries to the extreme and force Japan to expand, the list is endless. It began after the market crash of 1929. There wasn't a government policy that would have prevented for what was coming which ended in WW 2. The Federal Reserved was a problem and We all know a President doesn't tell the Federal Reserved how to run the economy side of this nation. Presidents bow down to the Reserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Collidge (and Hoover) were minor players not venerated by anybody; Hoover and his cronies actually pushed for more economic meddling before Roosevelt was elected.

That didn't work, of course; the real key to the end of the Great Depression was the Supreme Court's invalidation of the National Recovery Act in the spring of 1935. For almost two years afterward, the economy ralied -- until the Democrats started beatung the "tax-and-spend" war drums again.

But you'll never hear this from the Left-leaning dream merchants of the mass electronic media.
Too bad the two of you will never see the policies of Collidge as the main cause. You believe government intervention caused the depression when the new deal ended any depression until after the roll-backs from 1971-1999 from which time the great recession hit.

You are so inoculated in your desires to believe the laisse-faire policies the world had adopted in the 1920s were totally innocent.

Small investors were hooked on borrowed money, expenditures in the market, and what happened cannot be blamed on the reaction several years after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies