Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 07:28 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I was watching a documentary about 9/11 & part of it was talking about how the EPA was saying the "air was safe". They lady was interviewed & remembered her saying that after the buildings came down.

Years later most people know what's happened. Thousands are either dead, dying or suffering in some way or another from exposure to so much bad that came from the towers falling.

So I thought. Sounds familiar. Because right now we have the government saying the vaccine is safe. Well, what happens if they find out in 5 years that it's not as safe as they thought. Maybe the find out the babies have a birth defect from the vaccine that mothers passed on.

Point is I see so many people belittling people who choose not to get the vaccine & I look at the example I just pointed out. If you are relatively healthy, under the age of 40 or 50, no underlying conditions, maybe even already had covid-19 & it wasn't anymore than a bad cold. Why would you subjective yourself to this knowing it's very possible it could have harmful effects years later?

For the record I'm not anti-vax. I got the vaccine & I think anybody over the age of 55 or has under lying conditions or over weight etc. SHOULD get the vaccine. But it's really sad that so many people get hated on because they do not feel it's in their best interest to get the vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
That controversy has already come and gone with covid, where at first it was not deemed to be airborne(air was safe) and then it was.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That controversy has already come and gone with covid, where at first it was not deemed to be airborne(air was safe) and then it was.
Congratulations! You completely missed the point.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 AM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Incidentally, a relative told us his boss had some folks visiting them in NYC around the 20th anniversary of 9/11. They were fully looking forward to visiting the 9/11 memorial museum. They went online to book tickets only to find vaccination is a requirement for entry. They were not vaxxed. They were very pissed.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Some of the NYC police and fire fighters remember that. That may account for their vaccine skepticism. The toxic air at ground zero did a lot of damage to a lot of people.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:31 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
While I don't agree with the OP, I think it's a really interesting comparison worth looking into.

For 9/11, I found this evaluation of EPA's steps and missteps very informative: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/fi...t_20030821.pdf

It's an interesting balance of reassuring the public while communicating science, especially amidst uncertainty. It's also a cautionary tale of bowing to political pressure and a tough lesson on how hastily crafted public messages can spin off in all directions.

Mistakes were made and continue to be made, but I can say that a LOT of research and preparation has been dedicated to disaster response after several major disasters including: 9/11, Katrina (and other hurricanes), Fukushima, etc.

While I work in the air quality sector, I don't know enough about epidemiology and health science to comment on how their research is or is not different from 20 years ago. I do know that I have seen work come out after 9/11 that focused on biological attacks, so my hope is that a lot has been learned about how diseases are spread, etc.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Congratulations! You completely missed the point.
Nobody reads anymore. Headlines, maybe a paragraph. That's it. They miss so much because often, the point is made at the end.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:01 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:

i recently watched a documentary that suggested the data that had been accepted as the standard was not in fact reliable when it comes to defining airborne

Old 09-17-2021, 11:04 AM

654 posts, read 280,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I was watching a documentary about 9/11 & part of it was talking about how the EPA was saying the "air was safe". They lady was interviewed & remembered her saying that after the buildings came down.

Years later most people know what's happened. Thousands are either dead, dying or suffering in some way or another from exposure to so much bad that came from the towers falling.

So I thought. Sounds familiar. Because right now we have the government saying the vaccine is safe. Well, what happens if they find out in 5 years that it's not as safe as they thought. Maybe the find out the babies have a birth defect from the vaccine that mothers passed on.

Point is I see so many people belittling people who choose not to get the vaccine & I look at the example I just pointed out. If you are relatively healthy, under the age of 40 or 50, no underlying conditions, maybe even already had covid-19 & it wasn't anymore than a bad cold. Why would you subjective yourself to this knowing it's very possible it could have harmful effects years later?

For the record I'm not anti-vax. I got the vaccine & I think anybody over the age of 55 or has under lying conditions or over weight etc. SHOULD get the vaccine. But it's really sad that so many people get hated on because they do not feel it's in their best interest to get the vaccine.
That's right! There have been NO long term studies on the COVID shots simply because the shots haven't been around long enough. I don't have to worry about that because I've gotten COVID antibodies through getting COVID, and have NO intention of getting a shot for an illness I've already had. But, I do worry about others I know.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Wow! Please don't vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies