Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
while July to September is a measurable period of time, and fairly long in "Covid time", they haven't provided any information that would back up their "X more infectious" claims then or now.

in many ways, the "data does the study for you". The ship has sailed on counting breakthrough cases over time, though they could certainly start back up. But "cases" have been a low-value number since summer 2020.

Have we heard anything about "breakthrough hospitalizations are X% under 50, X% 50-65, X% > 65"? Have we heard what medical conditions are more prevalent? Have we heard what the %'s are among the different vaccines?

All of these are simple box-checking that gets entered into a computer, and the data should be pulled centrally and analyzed and reported.

We didn't have this "luxury" in April 2020. As I believe, we have since summer 2020.
What you are describing is basic database design. Somehow the CDC missed out on how to collect useful data. Of course, they weren't expecting breakthrough cases or hospitalizations so that could explain the lack of data at first. But those extra checkboxes could have been added anytime.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Chronic cognitive dissonance runs high in some during the Pandemic.
'No one knows the long term side effects'.
'You are being chipped'.
'This is part of the global elites' plan to depopulate the world.'
Where's Bill Gates?
Since being vaccinated, my husband and I tend to communicate with Bill Gates with a “ morning and g’ night , Bill” affirmation. Never gets old with us.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:25 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,435 times
Why would anyone trust monoclonal antibody treatment? This form of treatment is not FDA approved and is a brand new technology/treatment that has never been used before.

Meanwhile, MRNA technology has been around decades and one of the vaccines is FDA approved.

As well, vaccines are preventative vs monoclonal antibody treatment is reactive.

After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a point of cure

Old 09-20-2021, 10:30 AM

654 posts, read 279,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Why would anyone trust monoclonal antibody treatment? This form of treatment is not FDA approved and is a brand new technology/treatment that has never been used before.

Meanwhile, MRNA technology has been around decades and one of the vaccines is FDA approved.

As well, vaccines are preventative vs monoclonal antibody treatment is reactive.

After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a point of cure
But, the preventative, i.e. the vaccines, are failing. The CDC isn't counting all breakthrough cases, just the ones that lead to death or hospitalization. So, how can we say the vaccines are effective when we don't know the total number of breakthrough cases?

Some people on this forum aren't quite getting the point. (Not singling you out, by the way.)

Old 09-20-2021, 10:30 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Think you meant 2021, no?

“ CDC is very clear national surveillance relies on PASSIVE and VOLUNTARY reporting, and data are not complete or representative. “

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...ugh-cases.html

Then there’s the challenge of the accuracy of the underlying self reporting. Generally speaking, medical practices and hospitals are not requiring proof of vaccination. Nothing prevents a patient from claiming to be vaccinated, when they are not. And it’s likely some don’t want blowback or perceive they will not receive the same level of care if they disclose the truth.
You are looking at it from the lay/political side. From the medical side in the right setting unvaxxed means higher risk and then more aggressive treatment. For instance with the monoclonals.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatredlightsagain View Post
But, the preventative, i.e. the vaccines, are failing. The CDC isn't counting all breakthrough cases, just the ones that lead to death or hospitalization. So, how can we say the vaccines are effective when we don't know the total number of breakthrough cases?

Some people on this forum aren't quite getting the point. (Not singling you out, by the way.)
And many don't listen when we were all told early and all along that boosters would be needed at some point in time. And here we are.

If one looks at Israel's data and tries to simply transcribe that to the USA, one can arrive at very wrong conclusions.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What you are describing is basic database design. Somehow the CDC missed out on how to collect useful data. Of course, they weren't expecting breakthrough cases or hospitalizations so that could explain the lack of data at first. But those extra checkboxes could have been added anytime.
National breakthrough surveillance relies on passive and voluntary reporting and accuracy of underlying data.

My GP asked if I was vaccinated, which is not the same as requiring me to prove it.

While some hospitals are requiring proof of vaccine from visitors, the same is not required of those presenting with mild- sever Covid symptoms in the ER.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:38 AM

654 posts, read 279,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And many don't listen when we were all told early and all along that boosters would be needed at some point in time. And here we are.

If one looks at Israel's data and tries to simply transcribe that to the USA, one can arrive at very wrong conclusions.
Yes, I always though vaccinated people would need to get a booster shot, once a year. Just like the Flu shot.

I don't know about people who get immunity through fighting the live COVID virus needing a booster shot, the jury is still out on that one.

I've heard that people with natural immunity, even if they test negative for antibodies, still have the proper antibodies to fight off another infection, but that they're in hiding. And, that they come back to life when the immune system detects the virus.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,099,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
yeah, asking the same question a second or 15th time. I don't get it.

Somewhere around 99% of the adult population can get the vaccine (all but immune-deficient). It's already paid for, at a cost of <$20.

Only about 5% of the population could use the monoclonal treatment because, well, you've got to get a symptomatic case, with symptoms indicating the illness will worsen (or you're then also in the 1% above). And it costs ~$2K.

The vaccine takes 15 minutes 2x (or once for J&J).
The treatment takes an infusion and an hour, right?

Almost anyone can jab a needle in your upper arm.
Not everybody can properly insert an IV needle into your vein.
I find it amusing that conservatives are so conscious now of ballooning debt want to push a more expensive treatment vs a vaccine that is a fraction of the cost and developed when Trump appointees were in charge. If he truly drained the swamp and you are truly concerned about costs, why so hesitant?

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatredlightsagain View Post
Yes, I always though vaccinated people would need to get a booster shot, once a year. Just like the Flu shot.

I don't know about people who get immunity through fighting the live COVID virus needing a booster shot, the jury is still out on that one.

I've heard that people with natural immunity, even if they test negative for antibodies, still have the proper antibodies to fight off another infection, but that they're in hiding. And, that they come back to life when the immune system detects the virus.
With a significant infection those recovered typically have very good and long lasting immunity. Recovered + vaccine later is even more security if you are high risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies