Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 05:08 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's just a debate on the facts right before your eyes, it has nothing to do with feeling superior. We all have access to the same information but some choose to ignore facts and deflect. If you don't want to get vaxed fine but stop making up ridiculous reasons why you made that choice.
We can all review the same set of facts and determine as individuals if the risk is acceptable or not. Just because facts can be interpreted differently does it necessarily mean anyone is ignoring or deflecting the facts about Covid. Facts are also not found on the nightly news .

What is ignored and/or deflected in regards to Covid are the inconsistent and conflicting precautionary measures in place to stop the spread of it; this is where it seems people tend to put the horse blinders on. Those of us questioning the all of these inconsistencies are suddenly the bad people because we arent obedient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 07:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Show me video when they are 'slammed'. I keep hearing about hospitals being 'slammed' but haven't seen much proof. And I don't mean NBC News video. I mean video shot by doctors or nurses who are actually there.
That would be in violation of HIPAA rules. And I supposed that you think NPR is a bunch of lying liars that lie too-

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ty-ray-demonia

Quote:
"Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS.," the last paragraph of DeMonia's obituary reads, referring to the Cullman Regional Medical Center.
Direct from those lying liars who lie at the Alabama Hospital Association a little while back-

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/55-o...age-grows.html

Quote:
Fifty-five percent of Alabama’s intensive care patients have COVID-19 as the shortage of ICU beds continues to grow.

According to the Alabama Hospital Association, the state has 1,537 staffed ICU beds but 1,601 patients in need of the spaces for a deficit of 64. The shortage is causing hospitals to treat severely ill patients in other parts of their facilities.
They've gotten the ICU deficit down to -16 beds but that's still decidedly less than ideal given that the out of state transfer options remain poor.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:47 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That would be in violation of HIPAA rules. And I supposed that you think NPR is a bunch of lying liars that lie too-

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ty-ray-demonia

Direct from those lying liars who lie at the Alabama Hospital Association a little while back-

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/55-o...age-grows.html

They've gotten the ICU deficit down to -16 beds but that's still decidedly less than ideal given that the out of state transfer options remain poor.
Last year the news showed a hospital in New England that was gearing up for an influx of Covid patients but in the back you could see palm trees. Unless they were fake, I am pretty sure palm trees dont grow in New England. I also saw on the news that hospitals were filling up in my area with Covid patients yet I know nurses that worked at the hospital in mention and they said that was not true.

Who do you believe, the media or first hand experience? Trusting the media is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Very bad news. More people died in Alabama last year than were born:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/8400102002

State officials attributed this record to COVID deaths. This was BEFORE the Delta wave hit Alabama this summer. The total US deaths now exceed those of the “Spanish Flu.” States with low vaccination rates are being hit hardest. I have a feeling this winter will be a bad one for the unvaccinated.
Ten thousand more cases and the U.S. will be where we were in 1918.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:48 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I’m sure this will make the good people of Alabama feel ever so much better about the stats in their state.
About what stats in OUR state? Most Alabamians are pretty happy with life here. It seems that others who don't live here have more issues with our state than we do. Turn off the tv and visit once in a while. It's a red state (unless you live in Birmingham or Huntsville), so of course the media will try to paint us as backwoods hillbillies. Rarely do we get acknowledged for the space program or any other accomplishments that have come from Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Once Trump decided to make it political it was a wrap.
How did Trump make it political? By listening to Fauci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, please. This very site is rife with antivaxxers who are NOT illegals. The rightwing boards and forums are rife with antivaxxers who are NOT illegals. The red states have dismal vaccination rates because they are filled with antivaxxers who are NOT illegals.

Nice try, but it's your own party's base that are the antivaxxers, and it is they who are, as we speak, overrunning our healthcare system and keeping this pandemic going.
Don't lump everyone into one party. I know plenty of left wingers who won't vaccinate and plenty of right wingers that have. What you really have is a group of people who distrust the Government enough that they want more data before they will believe anything coming out in the media. I'm vaxxed (and you would consider me right wing... imagine that) but I understand the concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Trump dropped the ball on COVID. There is little doubt of that. His denial that this was serious set the tone for his followers and we are still feeling the effects of that. The obscene daily death rate we have here in the U.S. is a testament to that.

Trump had the bully pulpit. He could have used it to rally the country around this issue and get everyone to pull together. He didn't. And here we are.
I seem to recall Trump pushing Operation Warpspeed while being pushed back on by the left. Biden and Harris even said they wouldn't take a vaccine that Trump developed (as if he had on a lab coat). He tried to shut down the borders to limit more cases coming in but that was overturned by Biden very quickly. There's only so much one can do when you have the controlling parties trying to undo what you're working on. That's true regardless of which party you affiliate with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have a very good friend living in Alabama, and he lost his brother to covid. The brother is only 29 years old. He was a healthy man who was not even slightly overweight. My friend still doesn't want to get vaccination and there is nothing really you can do about people like him.

In the beginning of the pandemic, he even offered to take my entire family in his house because he thought California was unsafe.

My friend is a veteran and he is college graduated. I don't know why he doesn't want to be vaccinated, but the reason is really irrelevant. You cannot convince people like him.
I've seen a lot of this in Alabama. Lost a few family members over this whole ordeal. Your friend's education level or military status doesn't mean anything in this scenario. It just means that he is thinking for himself and trying to make what he believes to be the best decision for him. Whether it ends up being right or wrong... who knows? But we can't make these decisions for others.

He can probably be convinced as could most if the data coming out was reliable enough to trust. I get it.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:42 PM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A
I seem to recall Trump pushing Operation Warpspeed while being pushed back on by the left. Biden and Harris even said they wouldn't take a vaccine that Trump developed (as if he had on a lab coat). He tried to shut down the borders to limit more cases coming in but that was overturned by Biden very quickly. There's only so much one can do when you have the controlling parties trying to undo what you're working on. That's true regardless of which party you affiliate with.
Given how much Trump lied and how much he pushed quack placebos like hydroxychloroquine, I was concerned that he was going to announce some quack vaccine before the election. It was such a concern that the pharma companies had to give their own press conference saying that their approval & safety processes were not influenced by politics.

I was fully expecting Trump to announce some fake vaccine that was nothing more than saline solution and declare covid was over before the election. I'm actually impressed he did not. What's baffling to me now is that Trump's supporters are the ones who don't want the vaccine, yet he was the one who streamlined the process.

If Trump hadn't lied so much & was not such a ridiculous showman wanting absurd levels of praise at all times, maybe there'd have been more trust.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Very bad news. More people died in Alabama last year than were born:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/8400102002

State officials attributed this record to COVID deaths. This was BEFORE the Delta wave hit Alabama this summer. The total US deaths now exceed those of the “Spanish Flu.” States with low vaccination rates are being hit hardest. I have a feeling this winter will be a bad one for the unvaccinated.
Where did they get their numbers? 2019 is the last year Alabama Public Health has statistics for. They show 58,615 live births and 54,109 deaths for that year. In 2018, 57,754 live births and 54,357 deaths. 2017 58,936 live births, 53,240 deaths. 2016, 59,090 live births, 52,452 deaths.
Not a great deal of change from 2016 to 2019.

https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/...summaries.html

Old 09-20-2021, 02:19 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

I've seen a lot of this in Alabama. Lost a few family members over this whole ordeal. Your friend's education level or military status doesn't mean anything in this scenario. It just means that he is thinking for himself and trying to make what he believes to be the best decision for him. Whether it ends up being right or wrong... who knows? But we can't make these decisions for others.

He can probably be convinced as could most if the data coming out was reliable enough to trust. I get it.
I agree with you 100%

The only reasons I brought up his veteran status and his educational level is to prove that,

1. He's not a stupid person

2. He's not a person who lacks discipline

I still don't know why he does not want to be vaccinated, but I don't think the reason is relevant. His body, his choice. I completely respect his choice or decision. By the way, he is also a person who will give you the shirt off his back. So he's not selfish either.

People have different reasons why they don't want to be vaccinated. It is not my place to judge.

As a fully vaccinated person, I am very scared of the future. I think people should 100% make their own decision based on their own comfort level. No questions should be asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies