Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 05:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times

Advertisements

Mexico and United States have insane homicide rates in many of their liberal cities.

Wow, I thought India had a much higher homicide rate.

The highest homicide rate in India was Bihar which was 2.5 per 100,000.

The most populated of Uttar Pradesh had a rate of 1.5 per 100,000

Compared to, St. Louis at 87 per 100,000 and Jackson which had 83 per 100,000 (128 homicides with 153k population)

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...90b0eb289.html

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/01/01/jack...leans-memphis/

https://news.abplive.com/news/india/...now-ig-1482646

https://news.abplive.com/news/india/...now-ig-1482646
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 05:49 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,454 times
Here comes lovecrowds with more of his insightful comparisons of the crime rates of two randomly chosen cities. Unfortunately, one of these cities is actually a state with a population of around 104,000,000.

He also made sure to choose Bihar state (that’s right - he’s comparing a city to a state), which I doubt he knows much about. I know a bit about Bihar state, so let me tell you a few things about it and you tell me if you honestly think the quality of life is better than St. Louis. St. Louis may have a high murder rate, but let’s learn a little about Bihar’s problems and then tell me where you’d rather live.

Bihar is the poorest state in India, and that is saying something. It’s the Mississippi of India. The per capita income is 5200 Rs or about $70 USD. It is almost entirely rural and caste still means everything. Dalits and OBCs can be (and are) murdered without any consequence by higher castes (often the landowners that Dalits and OBCs pay rent to) and the murders are rarely recorded or punished unless it’s between like castes or by a lower caste against a higher caste. There is also a decades-long Maoist insurgency in the the countryside, executing landowners and anyone from the government they can get their hands on. They have mostly resorted to banditry to fund their operations, so the roads are not safe to travel.

Bihar is also a state where the majority of murders are never reported because they are committed against dalits and OBCs by higher-caste people who have control over every lever of government, as well as the police (if they can even be called that). It’s not like low-caste victims can walk into a police station and accuse a higher-caste person of murder or rape, robbery, illegal taxation, etc. The vast majority of crime is never reported, investigated, or punished.

Bihar also suffers from epidemic levels of sexual violence against women, honor killings, arranged marriages, spousal abuse, and low educational attainment. As a rural state, it also experiences extremely high levels of suicide by poor farmers as well as by abused women who end their lives with what’s available to them: usually rat poison or dousing themselves in kerosene and setting themselves alight.

If you want to know more about Bihar, like the fact that diseases such as leprosy are still major problems there, or that government corruption and lack of development has managed to keep it frozen in time at least a hundred years behind modern India, let me know.

However, I think it should be enough information to demonstrate how ridiculous lovecrowd’s most recent comparison is, and that 99.9% would choose to live in St. Louis over Bihar, murder rate notwithstanding.

Last edited by TOkidd; 09-19-2021 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-19-2021, 06:08 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Here comes lovecrowds with more of his insightful comparisons of the crime rates of two randomly chosen cities. Unfortunately, one of these cities is actually a state with a population of around 104,000,000.

He also made sure to choose Bihar state (that’s right - he’s comparing a city to a state), which I doubt he knows much about. I know a bit about Bihar state, so let me tell you a few things about it and you tell me if you honestly think the quality of life is better than St. Louis. St. Louis may have a high murder rate, but let’s learn a little about Bihar’s problems and then tell me where you’d rather live.

Bihar is the poorest state in India, and that is saying something. It’s the Mississippi of India. The per capita income is 5200 Rs or about $70 USD. It is almost entirely rural and caste still means everything. Dalits and OBCs can be (and are) murdered without any consequence by higher castes (often the landowners that Dalits and OBCs pay rent to) and the murders are rarely recorded or punished unless it’s between like castes or by a lower caste against a higher caste. There is also a decades-long Maoist insurgency in the the countryside, executing landowners and anyone from the government they can get their hands on. They have mostly resorted to banditry to fund their operations, so the roads are not safe to travel.

Bihar is also a state where the vast majority of murders are never reported because they are committed against dalits and OBCs by higher-caste people who have control over every lever of government, as well as the police, if they can even be called that. It’s not like low-caste victims can walk into a police station and accuse a higher-caste person of murder or rape, robbery, illegal taxation, etc. The vast majority of crime is never reported, investigated, or punished.

Bihar also suffers from epidemic levels of sexual violence against women, honor killings, arranged marriages, spousal abuse, and low educational attainment. As a rural state, it also experiences extremely high levels of suicide by poor farmers as well as by abused women who end their lives with what’s available to them: usually rat poison or dousing themselves in kerosene and setting themselves alight.

If you want to know more about Bihar, like the fact that diseases such as leprosy are still major problems there, or that government corruption and lack of development has managed to keep it frozen in time at least a hundred years behind modern India, let me know.

However, I think it should be enough information to demonstrate how ridiculous lovecrowd’s most recent comparison is, and that 99.9% would choose to live in St. Louis over Bihar, murder rate notwithstanding.
*Golf claps*

Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:

Bihar is also a state where the majority of murders are never reported because they are committed against dalits and OBCs by higher-caste people who have control over every lever of government, as well as the police (if they can even be called that). It’s not like low-caste victims can walk into a police station and accuse a higher-caste person of murder or rape, robbery, illegal taxation, etc. The vast majority of crime is never reported, investigated, or punished.

Repped.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:

Neither place, thanks.
Quote:

I'll call BS here. Deaths don't generally go unnoticed, even in Bihar. Murdered people have families who give them funerals.

According to this source many crimes do go unrecognized there but the murder stats look legit.

Quote:
The bodies that Bihar cannot hide – murders and dowry deaths

Bihar recorded 3,593 murders in 2014. MP reported 2,310 and Rajasthan reported 1,688. This data appears to better correlate with population and development.

Bihar’s murder rate – or murders per 100,000 people – is higher than that of either MP, Rajasthan, Gujarat or Kerala. One possible explanation is that Bihar is generally low on crime but, for some reason, is more prone to murder.

The other explanation is that crime in Bihar is under-reported – a process called burking – except for murder, where there is a body that cannot be ignored without some form of due process. Bihar’s murder rate is substantially worse than other larger states and above the national average...
... but still way below many American cities.

https://scroll.in/article/808692/is-...t-reporting-it

Old 09-19-2021, 11:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Repped.
...for bias confirmation.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:40 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...for bias confirmation.
For accurate information. Unreported crime in Bihar is nothing new.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:21 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Neither place, thanks.

I'll call BS here. Deaths don't generally go unnoticed, even in Bihar. Murdered people have families who give them funerals.

According to this source many crimes do go unrecognized there but the murder stats look legit.

... but still way below many American cities.

https://scroll.in/article/808692/is-...t-reporting-it
I don’t believe I ever argued that Bihar has a higher rate of murder than St. Louis. What I wrote is that we really can’t know what the murder rate of Bihar is and that it’s ridiculous to compare one of the poorest and least developed places on Earth to any American city, no matter how violent.

In urban America, violent crime is perpetrated largely by street gangs against one another, and between people who know each other. But violent crime is not the only metric that makes a place livable. If you aren’t in a gang or involved in the street life, your chances of being murdered in St. Louis are pretty low, I imagine. However, if you chose to live in Bihar, you would not be able to escape the grinding poverty, disease, sexual violence and gender-based discrimination, endemic corruption, caste violence, and so on, the way you could avoid the violence in St. Louis. In St. Louis, at least you would be able to enjoy the American standard of living and the Western values you are familiar with.

I also wrote that it was ridiculous to try and compare a land mass the size of a large European country with a population of 104,000,000 to a relatively small city of less than a million.

In response to the bold text, a funeral in a remote village doesn’t mean the highly corrupt police record the death as a murder. I don’t know what the actual murder rate for Bihar state is, but I’m sure it’s lower than almost any American city, with their easy access to firearms, epidemic gang violence, large tracts of poverty, disinvestment, urban blight, failing schools and few city services in most affected neighborhoods.

Murder and violence in American cities is unique in the world. Very few places have the same level of urban violence. There’s a long and complex history behind that. The point of my original point is that lovecrowds makes ridiculous comparisons by choosing two random places that can best illustrate his point. This thread that he/she started is the epitome of that and someone had to point it out.

One last thing…lovecrowds likes to make it seem like it is liberal cities alone that suffer from violent crime. In his OP, he notes the violence in liberal American and Mexican cities. Does he really think Mexican cities are “liberal” or that violent Mexican cities like Acapulco, Juarez, Veracruz, Tijuana, Los Cabos, and so on are “liberal” in the way St. Louis is “liberal?” Just like with his comparison of Bihar to St. Louis, he is comparing apples to oranges and providing no insight whatsoever to the problem of urban violence in America.

Last edited by TOkidd; 09-20-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies