Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:39 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Teacher should have left the girls alone. The girls have the right to sit during the national anthem.
They do have the right to sit quietly, and, yes, if they were the teacher should have left them alone. But, I will tell you, having been witness to how this is starting to work more and more at schools, is the kids aren’t just sitting quietly. They talking, playing around, and some go so far as to make loud derogatory remarks to those who are standing for it, including exerting peer pressure to sit down. That, they don’t have a right to do.
Quote:
“So then when my kids get agitated, and they get loud with her, that’s when she went and got the principal and police.”
This is the issue. That mother should not be defending her daughters’ behavior. She should be telling her daughters “If you have an issue with a teacher or other employee at school do what your are told, unless it is dangerous. When you get home you can tell me about it and I will deal with it.” Teachers and students are not on equal footing. Rights are finite, not unlimited. Your rights start to become less absolute the minute they begin interfering with others rights, including the right to an educational setting with enough good order and discipline to function appropriately.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Actually, I don’t even think you have a right to not stand, if that is the school’s policy. If you are attending that school and that school’s requires you to do certain things, then you are required to follow their rules.

If you don’t agree with the school’s policy, you have the right to leave and go find another school that fits your believes better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 06:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Whoever thought this rose to the level of needing to call police, should have been arrested or cited imo!

In my days in school, the two would have just been suspended and sent home for 3-5 days. Im not sure why schools do not suspend or expel students anymore, this was definitely not an 'emergency' where police were needed, (that is called abusing /misusing police services).

Old 09-21-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Whoever thought this rose to the level of needing to call police, should have been arrested or cited imo!

In my days in school, the two would have just been suspended and sent home for 3-5 days. Im not sure why schools do not suspend or expel students anymore, this was definitely not an 'emergency' where police were needed, (that is called abusing /misusing police services).
How are you going to suspend or send home a student nowadays? If you ask them to leave and they refuse, what are you going to do? If you even physically touch them, they are going to claim assault and you will be the one to lose your job and lawsuit from the mother ensues.

It’s easy to go off on your little righteous post but you would be the first to scream the teacher/school had no right physically removing the students and should have called the cops.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How are you going to suspend or send home a student nowadays? If you ask them to leave and they refuse, what are you going to do? If you even physically touch them, they are going to claim assault and you will be the one to lose your job and lawsuit from the mother ensues.

It’s easy to go off on your little righteous post but you would be the first to scream the teacher/school had no right physically removing the students and should have called the cops.
What kid is going to refuse to leave school if they get the chance? LOL

In my 4 yrs of high school and 3 years of middle school, I remember many kids being suspended (myself included a few times)...NO ONE ever refused to leave school.

(I graduated high school in 1994 btw) not that long ago!

Old 09-21-2021, 07:09 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

Reportedly they threatened the teacher. The last year with stats, 2016, 5.8% of all teacher were physically attacked, with over 141,100 of them bad enough to require missed time from work. During their career 44 percent of teachers will have been the victims of at least one physical assault significant enough to warrant missed time from work.

It probably was appropriate to call the police.

Quote:

In my 4 yrs of high school and 3 years of middle school, I remember many kids being suspended (myself included a few times)...NO ONE ever refused to leave school.

You can’t just send them home, their parent has to come get them. That is the issue.

1994 was 27 years ago. In other words, an entire generation ago.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:11 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Deport them to the country of their choice since they obviously don't like it here.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:

What kid? The type that does not like being told what to do by the teacher like here? You are clearly disconnected with the generation today, especially the urban ones. Not only will they not listen to the teacher but they will be loud and disruptive about it. Acting up is normal now if they are feel like they are not getting what they want.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:15 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:

If a kid, or in this case two kids actually get violent, then it is now a matter for the courts.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Teacher should have left the girls alone. The girls have the right to sit during the national anthem.
When did those rights change.
When I was in school between 1967 and 1980 you better believe we stood for the national anthem, we also stood for the pledge of allegiance. We had a enforced dress code, were not allowed to chew gum and teachers were allowed to confiscate contraband. You did not say no to the teacher or principal, or threaten the teacher or go crying to mommy and daddy.
We also carried pocket knives, were allowed to smoke and had gun racks in our trucks. You know what we didnt have. School shootings, handcuffs and police officers, law suites, social media posts, outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies