Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:51 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,145,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Lawton is the gutter of Oklahoma.
It’s in so many ways, the stereotypical Army town. It’s too bad because it does have potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 02:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No one is debating that. It’s Lawton. If you know anything about the place, you wouldn’t be surprised at that behavior.

This was my comment and question…

No need to get bent out of shape over. I just wondered because even when I was in high school, no one stood. Thought that ship had long sailed.
The last time my kids were in high school was 2010. People still stood for the anthem. Nobody sat.

Are you younger than that?

Old 09-21-2021, 02:56 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,181,243 times
Quote:
If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have quoted me and responded “last time I checked this is America.” Yes, it is America and last time I checked, it hasn’t been a requirement for sometime. I was surprised that it was even an issue.
In 9th-grade my history teacher taught his class by writing lines on the chalkboard that everyone in the class was required to copy, then he would discuss each line. He felt like if people wrote it down they would be more likely to remember it.

I was tired one day and didn't feel like writing anything. He began writing things down on the board, turned around and saw that I wasn't writing anything. Asked me why I wasn't taking notes. I told him I didn't feel like it. He told me if I refused to write notes that I would have to leave his class and sit in the principal's office. My stubborn self told him that was fine(no one threatens me). So he kicked me out of the class and told me I couldn't come back until I was willing to take notes like all the other students.

In my case it was just part of the class, whereas the national anthem isn't. But I can remember at the time thinking he didn't have the right to compel me to write notes since I wasn't required to turn them in, nor were they part of my grade.

I hate the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance, but even in my obstinance I can't imagine being rude or threatening towards my teacher. I would have just left.

Funny thing is, that teacher loved me, and he was favorite teacher. I think he was more irritated that I was setting a bad example than anything. He knew I knew the material because I aced all the tests.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:59 PM

17,704 posts, read 13,565,089 times
They should have kneeled so they could get their monies worth. `

Old 09-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The last time my kids were in high school was 2010. People still stood for the anthem. Nobody sat.

Are you younger than that?
Nope but it wasn’t a thing when I was in school. Kids stood and sat. Most sat. Half of them had their heads on the desk through the moment of silence.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In 9th-grade my history teacher taught his class by writing lines on the chalkboard that everyone in the class was required to copy, then he would discuss each line. He felt like if people wrote it down they would be more likely to remember it.

I was tired one day and didn't feel like writing anything. He began writing things down on the board, turned around and saw that I wasn't writing anything. Asked me why I wasn't taking notes. I told him I didn't feel like it. He told me if I refused to write notes that I would have to leave his class and sit in the principal's office. My stubborn self told him that was fine(no one threatens me). So he kicked me out of the class and told me I couldn't come back until I was willing to take notes like all the other students.

In my case it was just part of the class, whereas the national anthem isn't. But I can remember at the time thinking he didn't have the right to compel me to write notes since I wasn't required to turn them in, nor were they part of my grade.

I hate the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance, but even in my obstinance I can't imagine being rude or threatening towards my teacher. I would have just left.

Funny thing is, that teacher loved me, and he was favorite teacher. I think he was more irritated that I was setting a bad example than anything. He knew I knew the material because I aced all the tests.
Yea, those kids were just behaving bad. Although I do wonder why the teacher even bothered with them sitting, unless they were being noisy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the teacher told them to stand because they were being disruptive.

What you did in 9th grade was the proper response if you weren’t going to comply. But these days, kids seriously act up and the parents back them. Half the time the parents are worse than the children.

14,856 posts, read 8,181,243 times
Quote:
Nope but it wasn’t a thing when I was in school. Kids stood and sat. Most sat. Half of them had their harass on the desk through the moment of silence.
I had this teacher named Mr. Washington. He was ex-military, he was probably in his 60's back in 1993. I think he fought in Korea.

He not only had us do the pledge of allegiance at the start of his class, he even taught us how we were supposed to stand while doing it.

I think he would have lost his **** if anyone refused to stand.

1,952 posts, read 819,931 times
Most of these anthem protesters are just attention whores who would not last 15 minutes in a country that was not the United States.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I had this teacher named Mr. Washington. He was ex-military, he was probably in his 60's back in 1993. I think he fought in Korea.

He not only had us do the pledge of allegiance at the start of his class, he even taught us how we were supposed to stand while doing it.

I think he would have lost his **** if anyone refused to stand.
That’s really nice that he even taught you all how to stand. He taught at the right time because these days it’s another story.

My future children will have a military father so there is no way in hell they aren’t standing..LOL.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Quote:
Nope but it wasn’t a thing when I was in school. Kids stood and sat. Most sat. Half of them had their heads on the desk through the moment of silence.
Just polled the younger group I work with. Eight of them. They range in age from 24 - 36. Nobody sat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies