Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Chicken today, burgers tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:54 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If you are living it and think that it is okay, then more power to you. However, I would suggest you look up a psychological condition commonly known as "Stockholm Syndrome" and see if you see any correlation between that and your situation.

You have a government that is willing to lock you down over a single case. No matter how "good" every single person in the Country is, you are going to be in this cycle for several more years. This will now be your "normal".
I would suspect that had we not gotten this thing under control, the new normal would have become a collapse (or downturn really) of our economy. This time around I am having my doubts about lockdowns. Delta is just too contagious and there are always going to be selfish people who would put the economy at risk just to take a holiday. We are pumping 'vaccinations' (yes it is a vaccine in that it stimulates the body to form anti-bodies) but we are not at a high enough level yet, having only received the vaxx supplies lately. My tendency is to take precautionary measures but otherwise get on with life. We have been lucky in that due to our initial lockdown strategy, we got this thing under control and were able to live our lives as though there was no covid around. Till now.

I can't speak for everybody but for me and those I know and can therefore speak for, we are simply taking steps to allow us to get back to normal as soon as possible. No sign of Stockholm syndrome (yet). We are looking at the other side of the lockdown where life is 'normal' again.

I don't know how long or often we can keep doing this though. I can say though that for me, I look at my elderly neighbour whom my lady spends a lot of time with as she is elderly and becoming frail, who would surely die if she were to contract covid. So for me it is extremely important to keep covid away from her.

As you would know, the European Union has now approved five therapies for treating covid that improves the prognosis considerably. Our health people have asked for these therapies to be imported and made available. Once we have those, the issue of covid becomes far less serious and hopefully we will then allow covid to run its course. Let's hope the decision makers show wisdom. I do not want to see continuing lockdowns and I think many if not most would share my sentiments.

But yeah, for now we don't have a problem with Stockholm Syndrome. Remember we are now only having our third lockdown and it only went on for five weeks. The previous one was shorter. Interestingly, business and the economy actually picked up after the first lockdown, where I was expecting a lot more damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Is it really true there has been only one case? If so, are the people of New Zealand that weak?
You must have missed the part where I said it exploded to over 900 and still growing. But eak? No, we are just determined to stamp this thing out. We are keeping it short and sharp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
After being virus free for months, A single traveler from Australia tested positive with the Delta variant which began to spread like wildfire, thus restrictions were reimposed.

NZ is an island nation with 5.1 million people and very limited medical/ hospital resources.

How NZ has managed Covid is supported by most New Zealanders.
We had been expecting a break out and have been preparing for it so when that first case was detected we immediately acted. It was actually a large church group who didn't co-operate and continued to spread it.

As far as I can make out (correct me if I'm wrong), we have experience less lockdown time and more normalcy than most other countries in the world.

I'd just like to add a comment, I do appreciate you folks for your quickness to stand up for your rights and freedoms. I get that any signs of 'authoritarianism' will get you on the defensive. So thanks for 'looking out for us'. I get defensive for you folks when I see attempts at oppression on your end.

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-23-2021 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 12:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
its a slippery slope...chicken today, Klondike bars tommorrow
Well....what wouldn't one do for one?

Old 09-23-2021, 01:12 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Chubby Eric Cartman relaxing in his bath of KFC Gravy.
Cartman's not chubby; he's "big-boned".

Old 09-28-2021, 01:26 PM

930 posts, read 333,845 times
I was somewhat incensed about this until I read that this gang also was hauling 10 tubs of KFC coleslaw. I hate coleslaw. Book 'em, Danno!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies