Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 10:18 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,376,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
No, Quebec doesn't "get a lot of free cash forked over to them by other provinces because the Canadian Govt tells them so".

Under the Equalization Payments program, Quebec, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island receive additional funds. Ontario has also received Equalization Payments in the past and it would not be surprising to me if Alberta received some in this or the next fiscal period.
Quebec is the Province getting the most, its contribution is a net negative. Alberta is the opposite. Yes, it's accurate to say that Quebec "gets a lot of free cash forked over to them by other provinces because the Canadian Govt tells them so".

And taxes in Quebec are through the roof. When combined with the federal sales tax, sales tax is 15%. That's $45 for a $300 purchase ! $80/year (on your birthday) just to keep your drivers licence whether you own a car or not, yet the roads are the worst I have ever seen in the developed world. If your salary is in the 6 figures, you're taxed to death.

Still used to be a good place to live because of affordable real estate, nowadays even that is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 10:59 PM

218 posts, read 159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Quebec is the Province getting the most, its contribution is a net negative. Alberta is the opposite. Yes, it's accurate to say that Quebec "gets a lot of free cash forked over to them by other provinces because the Canadian Govt tells them so".
I'm sorry that I touched some sort of a nerve. According to my relatives there, Alberta has had a hard time with one thing and another the past 2 years. If they need extra funds to get through a rough patch, glad to help. If they don't, good to hear.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:22 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,376,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
I'm sorry that I touched some sort of a nerve. According to my relatives there, Alberta has had a hard time with one thing and another the past 2 years. If they need extra funds to get through a rough patch, glad to help. If they don't, good to hear.
You didn’t touch any nerve, your post was just inaccurate.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Not sure what gives you the impression that the system doesn't work. Those who don't have access to public daycare simply go to a private one and are subsidized to cover the difference in costs. Quebec has one of the highest employment rate in the world, in part due to subsidized daycare.
Employment is not that. A million households with a million working dads and a million SAHMs and nobody looking for work is an employment rate of 100%. What's wrong with that? And zero cost of outside child care, what's wrong with that?

Why can't we have that? Because government demands a whole skyline of people with non-productive jobs.. Skyscrapers full of people who produce nothing of value that is ever consumed in the marketplace. 55% of all school board employees never spend a minute in a classroom. Paper consumption has actually risen since newspapers and magazines started into their death spiral. Why are we paying people to use paper? Send them home to bake coookies for their kids.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:27 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
$170/month for day care is incredible. Given how many people are on a waiting list, it seems this is an unmitigated success. Maybe we in the US should model ourselves after this.
Maybe people should liv e within their means and not expect others to pay for their lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:52 AM

26,346 posts, read 14,957,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If it is such a bad program, as you say, then why so are many on a wait list? Sounds very successful to me.
The coming Brandon Administration food shortages are a success! Everyone has so much money the food flies off the shelf!

Old 11-12-2021, 08:15 AM

20,113 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
$170/month for day care is incredible. Given how many people are on a waiting list, it seems this is an unmitigated success. Maybe we in the US should model ourselves after this.
Except the part where it costs (in 2015 based on this report ) the taxpayers $9,000 per year ($750/month) per child - probably between $10-11,000/yr today). Of course there is a long waiting list, who wouldn’t for that much savings.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:45 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Employment is not that. A million households with a million working dads and a million SAHMs and nobody looking for work is an employment rate of 100%. What's wrong with that? And zero cost of outside child care, what's wrong with that?

Why can't we have that? Because government demands a whole skyline of people with non-productive jobs.. Skyscrapers full of people who produce nothing of value that is ever consumed in the marketplace. 55% of all school board employees never spend a minute in a classroom. Paper consumption has actually risen since newspapers and magazines started into their death spiral. Why are we paying people to use paper? Send them home to bake coookies for their kids.
Because 100 % of women don’t want to stay home and 100% of men don’t want to work. Are you suggesting we should force them into your preferred roles?

Old 11-12-2021, 01:12 PM

36,229 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

Why can't we have that?
Because not all households are made up of a working dad and a SAHM.
My kids father died when they were 6 and 2. There are lots of single parent homes. There are lots of dads who aren't working or aren't able to support the household. There are lots of moms who want to continue their career and not just be a SAHM for years.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:57 PM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If it is such a bad program, as you say, then why so are many on a wait list? Sounds very successful to me.
Because government dependency begets government dependency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies