Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2021, 11:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Living individual human beings.
Legally and logically a fetus is not a living individual human being.
Please explain then, how 2 counts of murder can be imposed for killing a pregnant woman?

A murder charge can ONLY be imposed when it is a REAL HUMAN LIFE.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
A fertilized egg that passes, unimplanted, during the menstrual cycle, is natural. Abortion is an act of violence against another human being.​
So, to you, the world would be one heck of an unimaginably much happier place to live in, if all abortion was banned?

Old 09-24-2021, 11:30 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Living individual human beings.
Legally and logically a fetus is not a living individual human being.
A fetus has its own unique identifiable human DNA. It's most definitely an identifiable human individual.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:31 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
The government has the responsibility to protect all living individual human beings equally.
^^^^^ That’s a deflection of thriftylefty’s question, not an answer.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am not against abortions remaining legal in the first trimester.

But it is rather curious how liberals don't seem to mind that the abortion rate for black women is 5 times that for white women. Nothing to see there, I guess.
So as a non-liberal, how would you propose to persuade a pregnant black woman or any other pregnant woman who wants to get an abortion not to do it? But with welfare programs liberals support, who knows how many poor pregnant women decide not to get abortions after learning what welfare provides after the baby is born.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, to you, the world would be one heck of an unimaginably much happier place to live in, if all abortion was banned?
A world with fewer acts of violence against helpless innocent people would be an improvement.

Initiating acts of aggression against the innocent and helpless is not an acceptable solution.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
MacInTx is correct.vAbstinence is in no way similar to abortion. Abortion is an act of aggression that ends the life of another living human being.
Nevertheless, you can't run away from the very fact both serve the same purpose, which is to make sure a baby isn't born.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ That’s a deflection of thriftylefty’s question, not an answer.
Not a deflection. The government has the responsibility to protect both lives. The purpose of the government is to protect everyone's rights to life, liberty and private property equally. The unborn child is a human life.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:43 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Women get to control their reproduction as they see fit, up until the point they have reproduced. Abortion isn't is a reproductive rights issue. By the time abortion happens reproduction has already occurred. Nobody has the right to kill a human that has already been produced. Abortion is not a reproductive decision, it is a parenting decision.
You are so wrong its not even funny ...a group of cells growing inside a host is not a person...so yes a fetus is a reproductive rights issue...if a woman doesn't want it then she should have the right to remove it...it's that simple...amazing how wrong these Pro Life people are regarding this issue.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:24 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
A fertilized egg that passes, unimplanted, during the menstrual cycle, is natural. Abortion is an act of violence against another human being.​
Just FYI, it's hard to respond to each point of yours since you responded inside my quote. But I'll do my best to copy/paste your responses and address them. I'll put your responses to my previous post in italics.

Fertility clinics have killed countless human begins. Possibly more than the holocaust. Better to have heartbroken couples than dead babies.

Surely you realize we are talking about a microscopic cell, or a few cells, in a petri dish, right? Are you saying that what is in that petri dish is in every way absolutely equivalent to a newborn baby, or to a child, or adult? If it is truly equivalent in your opinion, then please address this scenario (not my own example; you've probably heard it before):
If you are in a building that houses both a daycare and a fertility clinic, and it catches on fire, would you try to save an armful of petri dishes (which would be, in your eyes, dozens of actual human beings), or go to the daycare and try to carry out one or two little children? Please explain your answer, as I'm truly curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.

The world would be a better place if people valued the lives of others as much as their own. Killing countless human beings is not the answer.
^^That^^ was your response to my question about birth control methods which prevent implantation. Without those methods, most families would have 8, 10, 12 or more children, as in the past. Please elaborate on why this would make for a better world than we currently have.

At least one human individual dies with EVERY abortion.

A mother who is incarcerated for killing her pre-born child is no different than a mother who is incarcerated for killing her child after it's born.

With your definitions, every woman who has been on the pill, IUD, patch, or injections has had an abortion. We deserve jail just as much as any woman who intentionally drowns, shoots, or otherwise kills her already born children. Am I summing up your thoughts correctly? Think of your female friends and family members. I can guarantee that a significant percentage of them have used BC methods which you consider murder. Do you want these female friends and relatives incarcerated for life for murder? Why or why not?

Abortion is not just a "horrible thing". It's the taking the life of a unique, helpless, innocent human individual. It would be better to be born into hardship and have a chance to make a good life than not be born at all.

In countries with the majority of people living with poverty, hunger, illness, etc, you think it is better to force women to continue having babies rather than giving them effective BC which prevents a fertilized egg from implanting? Would YOU want to be born into that environment? I would not.

A newborn is not aware of its environment either but it would be just as wrong to kill it.
A newborn experiences emotions and pain, and does have some awareness of its environment. A fertilized egg has no more consciousness than a pebble.

I don't see any difference between a fertilized egg passing naturally (which 30-40% do) versus, for example, having an IUD in place which prevents implantation. Do you think an IUD (or pill, patch, or injection, or even the morning after pill) acts in "violence"?

You said that natural passing is ok, but with human involvement it is not. If a living child dies, it doesn't matter if it died of natural causes or was murdered. That death is TRAGIC and leaves parents and family grieving forever. If a fertilized egg is fully equivalent to a born human child, then every family would be grieving forever for the many children they lost when fertilized eggs passed naturally. Every woman who has ever tried to get pregnant knows that some fertilized eggs (that is, "living babies" in your opinion) have died unborn. As a woman, if I truly considered each and every one of those fertilized eggs to be my children, I couldn't bear the grief of all of those deaths.

It makes no difference if those eggs passed naturally in the menstrual cycle or if my BC caused them to pass. It makes zero sense to consider the ones that passed due to BC as "violent acts of murder" that should be mourned, but say no biggie to the much larger number of "babies" (that is, fertilized eggs) that passed naturally.

As I mentioned before, I used to consider a fertilized egg a human being. "Life begins at conception" was my mantra. I needed to have a distinct starting point for life for my black-and-white way of thinking. But now I know life is much more complicated than what a black-and-white perspective allows. No one ever really gave me reasons, for decades, that challenged my fertilized egg belief. But I eventually realized flaws in my thinking. I think I've given you much to think about, and I hope you will give this post serious consideration.

One last point. Deciding what is "right or wrong" in many scenarios is not clearcut. A guiding principle should be, imo, "What causes the least harm and pain but causes the most benefit and happiness?" I don't see overall increased benefit and happiness in the world you presumably want.
A fertilized egg can never know pain or sadness. It doesn't "want" to be born. It has no opinion or thoughts whatsoever. Harm and pain can happen only to people who are born (or at least, at the gestational point in pregnancy at which pain can be felt, somewhere in the 2nd trimester, at which point I do not support unrestricted abortion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies