Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 02:03 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,136,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thank you kj1065. I have no questions. Its none of my business.

That's fine. I just thought some posters might want to ask me about my state of mind at the time and whether or not I have any regrets, if I can sleep at night, etc. These conversations take place in the absence of direct input from those of us who've had abortions, and I thought it was time to change that.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:10 PM

48,364 posts, read 34,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Abortion should be renamed "the issue that neither side budges on and is a gigantic waste of time to address when there are other issues in society that could be addressed."
Not at all.

We should have extensive sex education, free birth control, and counseling available. Add to that things like general LIFE education, and how a child can ruin your life when you are young, and how you can ruin a child's life. Once you reach puberty everything should be done to teach how to prevent pregnancies, so abortions do not have to happen. Obviously I am pro Plan B also.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2021, 02:11 PM

36,024 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
That's fine. I just thought some posters might want to ask me about my state of mind at the time and whether or not I have any regrets, if I can sleep at night, etc. These conversations take place in the absence of direct input from those of us who've had abortions, and I thought it was time to change that.
There have been a few poster who have shared their experience.
I do think others should hear directly from those who have experienced abortion and those who faced the decision. It may bring some understanding but its been my experience with many of these posters that they will not hear you.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:19 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,136,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There have been a few poster who have shared their experience.
I do think others should hear directly from those who have experienced abortion and those who faced the decision. It may bring some understanding but its been my experience with many of these posters that they will not hear you.

That's likely the case. It's hard to confront someone directly because when you hear their story you might start to identify with them.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:21 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,620,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
women do in fact sometimes die due to pregnancy or childbirth.

but that's not the point.

You're free to believe that an embryo is a person but your belief doesn't mean that you can force that opinion on others.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one. That is your only option, not to compel everyone to do what you happen to believe.
The bolded part is precisely what it all comes down to. What follows is a post I made on another thread, which unfortunately was closed before anyone had a chance to answer. So I'll repeat myself:

The conflict between pro-life and pro-choice people all boils down to this: When does this entity, this thing/being/cell cluster/blob, that started at the union of a sperm and egg, become a full-fledged human, deserving of all the rights a born, living, breathing human has?

To me, just as a sprouted acorn is not equivalent to an oak tree, a fertilized egg is not equivalent to a human being. No one would look at any sprouted seed and declare "There's a pumpkin!" or "There's a daisy!" because 1) that's not what it IS yet, and 2) no one looking at the sprouted seed can tell what it will one day grow to become. #2 is definitely true with a fertilized human egg (can't tell what it is by looking at it), and I believe #1 is also true (it's not yet a human being with rights.)

Now, some people do believe a fertilized egg is a full-fledged human, but that gets sticky because such people would have to be opposed to many forms of birth control, Plan B, and fertility clinics. (even the pill has a secondary mode of action which is to prevent implantation if an egg is released and fertilized).

So I would ask the OP and other prolifers here to tell me if you believe a fertilized egg = a human being.

BTW, this is not a trick question. I used to be extremely pro-life, I even did volunteer work with Right to Life, so I understand your side. But understanding how you view a fertilized egg will enable me to continue the discussion.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:25 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,296,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There’s no such thing.

It’s a fetus in the womb, a child after it is born.
It’s a baby. To claim otherwise is to be a flat earth science denier.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:26 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,031,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
My stepsister feels no guilt over her abortion...she made a mistake in HS and got pregnant...had she not had an abortion she never would have gotten to attend a great college which led to the great career she has now...she's finally ready for children and is expecting one in a few months...she's finally ready...she would n't have been ready 15 yrs ago when she made that decision.
Sadly, the child she killed will never have a chance to attend a great college which could have led to a great career.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,890,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Have you ever been pregnant?

I believe anyone who has never been pregnant has no right to an opinion on the matter of abortion.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,890,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Sadly, the child she killed will never have a chance to attend a great college which could have led to a great career.
She did not kill a child. Only prevented one from developing.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
your claim is the one that focuses on your personal beliefs to the exclusion of science. Science doesn't define "baby", it uses zygote, embryo, fetus. So you are the flat earth science denier. And repeating your statement makes it no more true the second time than it was the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies