Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Proud Of Being An American
Yes 139 57.20%
NO 34 13.99%
Never 5 2.06%
Sometimes 29 11.93%
I try To Be 23 9.47%
Not Sure 3 1.23%
Other, Please Post 10 4.12%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Japan. Hmmm ... that's interesting. Why?
Just pointing out that you're asking someone with the user name "nitokenshi". Might be just a leeeetle Japanese affinity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post
Oh America is great for traveling around. There's a lot to see and do. We have lots of variety in our natural scenery. My goal is to hit all 50 states, so far I've hit 17. I do have a strong case of wanderlust but it's limited to US. Yep, I have no desire to go to Europe
Seeing the United States is great (and I have been to all 50 states), but it's far less diverse than the rest of the world. It's like going to New York City and never leaving White Plains.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 AM

196 posts, read 208,445 times
I was more proud when I was in service... because now I feel ashamed to say who my president is when Im talking to people from other countries... but when I was in service, it was disrespectful to diss the president in uniform... even tho you really wanted to let him have it outloud...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

196 posts, read 208,445 times
Quote:
Oh America is great for traveling around. There's a lot to see and do. We have lots of variety in our natural scenery. My goal is to hit all 50 states, so far I've hit 17. I do have a strong case of wanderlust but it's limited to US. Yep, I have no desire to go to Europe

I wish I could change your mind about Europe.... its just worth every glimpse....but I love old world charm more than anything in this world... please dont discount it tho...nothing is more gorgeous than Paris at night, or London fog, and just yesterday I was yearning for the afternoon cafe con leche in Spain and its afternoon siestas...love the beaches this time of year in Spain also, and the quaint lil roar of the mopeds, lol...oh man, now Im on a real flashback roll...see Europe tho...I feel sure you wont be disappointed

Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Saddam was a threat to nobody? Yikes! I think there are thousands of Iraquis who might disagree with that statement.
Saddam has already quashed the 'uprising' by the Islamic Fundamentalist Shiites in the south, which was encouraged, but not supported, by Bush Sr.
Since there were no more internal attempts to unseat Saddam, there was 'peace'.
Saddam certainly was never a threat to the US or anyone else, since Iraq was closely monitored and constantly bombed during the Clinton years.
The only legitimate threat to the populace came in the form of economic sanctions, instituted by Bush Sr and continued by Clinton, although Bill later allowed the UN 'food for oil' program to feed the starving kids.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 PM

153 posts, read 565,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
So less of a wander'lust' and more of a wander'like'.

I agree that America is great for traveling around (though at 17, you've barely scratched the surface! Get out there!), but I should ask if you've ever been to Europe. It's quite nice, too.
It depends on what 17 I've been to. Is there really a need to go to Vermont if you've been to New Hampshire? I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that Rhode Island looks a lot like Connecticut. No, I've never been to Europe, why would I go there if I have no interest in it? There's nothing there but a bunch of old junk. I'd rather go to Costa Rica and lay out on the beach or go to Brazil and tour the rain forest than go to the Louvre or sit in some "romantic" Parisian cafe.

Last edited by wanderlusting; 05-30-2008 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
I wish I could change your mind about Europe.... its just worth every glimpse....but I love old world charm more than anything in this world... please dont discount it tho...nothing is more gorgeous than Paris at night, or London fog, and just yesterday I was yearning for the afternoon cafe con leche in Spain and its afternoon siestas...love the beaches this time of year in Spain also, and the quaint lil roar of the mopeds, lol...oh man, now Im on a real flashback roll...see Europe tho...I feel sure you wont be disappointed
OK maybe the beaches in SPain. Not much else though. You can keep France for sure

Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Seeing the United States is great (and I have been to all 50 states), but it's far less diverse than the rest of the world. It's like going to New York City and never leaving White Plains.
I don't agree at all. Before this thread gets TOO off topic, I'd say I'm proud to be an American for our scenic diversity. We have it all here: mountains, caves, plains, rolling hills, deserts, different types of forests, lakes (lots and lots in my state), the Everglades. What other country has an ecosystem like the Sonoran Desert (and don't say Mexico). The Grand Canyon is awesome. Contrast that with the Olympic Peninsula. I'm planning a trip to the Black Hills this summer. I can't wait.

Last edited by wanderlusting; 05-30-2008 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 12:54 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
It depends on what 17 I've been to. Is there really a need to go to Vermont if you've been to New Hampshire? I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that Rhode Island looks a lot like Connecticut. No, I've never been to Europe, why would I go there if I have no interest in it? There's nothing there but a bunch of old junk. I'd rather go to Costa Rica and lay out on the beach or go to Brazil and tour the rain forest than go to the Louvre or sit in some "romantic" Parisian cafe with a bunch of snooty French people.
Fair on the first point... sort of. I mean, every state offers a different take.

On the second point, I totally reject the idea that you can judge a place before you visit. If you don't want to go, cool. If you go and don't like it, cool. I just think to trash a place without ever visiting is silly. But that's just me.

Maybe I'll change my name to "wanderlust... seriously."

Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
america as a whole doesn't really feel like country to me its so disjointed each state feels like its own little country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies