Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Have you ever seen the media and the police put up this much effort if she was black or any other race?

One military Hispanic girl in my area disappeared and found murdered days later. It got a few lines of honorable mention in my local newspaper.
Vanessa Guillen, a young Hispanic woman did have a lot of media coverage, as well as an entire 20/20 show dedicated to her. But, yes, I agree, I have to wonder how the media picks and chooses which stories to discuss, and which to ignore. Then, those stories they cover, will be glorified add nauseam. I don’t think her race had anything to do with it; truthfully the George Floyd case had more coverage than any other similar story in US news media history. Also, notice how much coverage there is on every single black person arrested, who resisted arrest, and ends up being a victim of police brutality in one way or another? Do people really think that white people, particularly white males are never victims of police brutality?? Also, consider there are more than 30 times more black on white crime, than white on black crime. Notice how the media consistently ignores all black on white crime. Also, notice how the media is downplaying to a considerable degree, the mass shooting that took place at a Kroger in Tennessee, committed by an Asian man, UK Thang. We had a mass shooting in Miami this month, committed by Davonta Barnes, a black man, who killed 3, and injured 20—again, almost no coverage?? Last May, another mass shooting, a Syrian refugee opens fire committing a mass shooting in Boulder Colorado, killing 10 people, all of them white, why did the media only cover this story for maybe two days?, and that is it?? Then say, well, “he just needed counseling?” It seems, there is a considerable fear of solidarity of white people, particularly after four years of a Donald Trump presidency. Imagine if the media empathized with Derek Chauvin, a man on the police force 19 years, with considerable job stress, that “he needed counseling”. There would have been pandemonium.

I also think there is a sort of notoriety of when a woman disappears and the focus is on her boyfriend. There is a feminist bias in media. It adds to the mystery of this woman, and implicating her boyfriend Brian Laundries. A male victim, in a similar situation I doubt would have ever received this kind of news coverage.

Last edited by 9162; 09-25-2021 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 09:18 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Have you ever seen the media and the police put up this much effort if she was black or any other race?

One military Hispanic girl in my area disappeared and found murdered days later. It got a few lines of honorable mention in my local newspaper.
SO you do not believe anyone should help find a girl because she is white!

Old 09-25-2021, 09:59 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
The media exists to sell advertising, not to report news anymore.

So long as you know this, it all makes sense.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:17 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
It is definitely true that attractive women get more media attention when they disappear. This is especially true when the main suspect is a husband or boyfriend. As far as race being an issue in the level of media coverage, it does appear this matters too. I was inclined not to believe this but recently we have had a case where a young black woman in Knoxville disappeared and very little attention was given to this case. The family has begged for help and they deserve the same effort that was given to the gabby Petino search. I don’t believe overt racism is the cause but obviously the media finds some news stories more valuable than others. We have two attractive young women who are missing and they definitely did not receive the same attention.

Now if a man disappears no one cares. Black, white or whatever no one cares when a man disappears. Why? This is also wrong. All parents of sons should understand why this is wrong. Clearly we should as a society be trying to find all missing persons regardless of race, sex, social status. Being protected from crime is a basic human right. Good law enforcement and safe streets should be our highest priority. No twenty year old should disappear.....truly a parents worst nightmare.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't own a television. I haven't owned a television for quite some time. I choose not to have one. I can find out bad news quite fast from the internet, often without trying. I can go on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and in many instances, here on city-data, without making the effort. One of the reasons I hardly ever watch the news on TV.
I understand where you are coming from. I do not have facebook or Twitter. I seen them being really toxic.

Last edited by herenow1; 09-25-2021 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 04:22 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
I wondered about this early on. I now believe it is the media/democrats doing it to get the Covid/Biden/Illegals screwups off of the front page. This story is not that big to get constant coverage for days/weeks.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:46 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
I think there was a confluence of factors that contributed to the amount of media attention that Gabby Petito's disappearance/murder has gotten.

1. The intrigue due to her fiancée being on the run.
2. She was on an interesting trip that was well documented on social media.
3. The mystery around why she was murdered and who did it.
4. She was a young, white female.

Not all missing young, white female cases catch fire like this. The media will spend reporting energy on whatever it thinks the market wants to hear. A lot of white women like talking about these types of stories that have intrigue/mystery and involve young, white, females. Including ones that involve young, white females who could've been perpetrators like the chick who was accused of murdering a British student in Italy some years back.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Usually the Fake News hypes up whenever a black person is wronged, in any number of ways.

Have you watched the evening news lately? They will take the most insane instances of white-on-black "offenses" and destroy the white person "guilty" of said offenses these days.

So regarding this case, i think the previous poster correctly pointed out how/why this case gained steam. It certainly isn't because the Fake News is pro white. That's crazy.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Deanna Taylor's murder by her husband, in Hillside, NJ, was around the time of the Laci Peterson case. It did get New York Times Local section and Jersey ink.....................while Peterson got worldwide OJ coverage!

Nailah Franklin's murder by her boyfriend, in Chicago, would not have gotten any coverage (most of that on networks such as BET and TVOne), if not for her sister's public relations background and ability to put the story out there!

Old 10-20-2021, 10:53 AM

10,099 posts, read 7,771,136 times
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1942098.html

Coroner is on the scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies