Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2021, 03:04 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Spewing insults is what people do when they can't argue.
Well, except when the insults are actually factual descriptions, as they are in the case you responded to so pathetically.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I doubt you'll understand, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Changing the name and the packaging does not affect me personally, and it does not cause me mental anguish. But I see a larger force at work than merely the changing of a product name or image. I see this as simply being one small step in the reworking of American history and culture to appease a small but very vocal set of people (whom I derisively call "wokesters") who seem to desperately search high and low for anything to get offended by, then apply pressure ("cancel") against the object of their offense. It never seems to occur to the wokesters, and to those who cave in to their pressure, that there are other people who might actually LIKE whatever it is that offends them, and who don't want these things to change. But our beliefs and concerns are ignored in the never-ending rush to remake our society into something that we don't like.

I have always affirmed the right of the company to change their product's name and packaging. But this doesn't mean that I have to like it, or continue to support the company. To be sure, changing the packaging is but a single rain drop and it won't hurt anyone. But when each individual rain drop keeps getting added to the ones the came before, eventually they become a torrent that causes a great flood that destroys the culture and the society that some of us don't want to lose. And that's why we get annoyed when we see it happen, drop by drop by drop.
You are correct, except on one detail.

The offense isn't real, it is feigned. Feigned so as to provide pretense to destroy, bit by bit, our culture, our institution, our GREAT history, our freedom and indeed, our country.

I repeat, however, they are not offended. Their offense is as phony as a 3-dollar bill and only proffered so as to provided pretense. A very old trick, indeed. You've seen it a million times on TV. An unwelcome guy, perhaps a lawman, walks into the saloon, brushes by somebody, looks at somebody or whatever, and suddenly that feigned "offense" is justification for a shootout or a beating.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 5,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Well, except when the insults are actually factual descriptions, as they are in the case you responded to so pathetically.
No, the person they responded typed out their post in the same manner as a 14 year old.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:15 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Ok and what exactly is this culture that would be destroyed that you don’t want to lose? How is Aunt Jemima part of this culture and what is the opposing argument?
I was right. You don't get it.

The culture that I, and many other conservatives, wish to preserve, does not stand or fall on whether a lady named Aunt Jemima graces the boxes of our pancake mixes. This is but one tiny drop of rain falling on our parade. As I said before, it's not the individual rain drops that upset us, it's the constant accumulation of those rain drops, turning into a mighty flood that threatens to wash away the culture and the way of life that we hold dear. And part of that culture is that we tend to like things the way we are (that's why we're called "conservative") and we really don't like people constantly telling us that everything we like is bad and wrong and evil and must be eradicated. And if you don't think that's exactly what the wokesters are doing, you are either uninformed or willfully blinded to the reality of it all.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:

The culture that I, and many other conservatives, wish to preserve, does not stand or fall on whether a lady named Aunt Jemima graces the boxes of our pancake mixes. This is but one tiny drop of rain falling on our parade. As I said before, it's not the individual rain drops that upset us, it's the constant accumulation of those rain drops, turning into a mighty flood that threatens to wash away the culture and the way of life that we hold dear. And part of that culture is that we tend to like things the way we are (that's why we're called "conservative") and we really don't like people constantly telling us that everything we like is bad and wrong and evil and must be eradicated. And if you don't think that's exactly what the wokesters are doing, you are either uninformed or willfully blinded to the reality of it all.
Bingo

Old 09-26-2021, 03:21 PM

20 posts, read 5,714 times
Quote:

This is called getting old and being scared about the fact that the world is changing and you no longer have power over it.

It’s ok, the syrup still tastes the same. We just don’t have a mascot that is based on a minstrel show imprinted on the bottle. And it was a company decision after confronting the history of their own mascot and realizing “ya, this is dated and the historic context behind it is actually pretty f*ed up”.

Now how about showing concern for some real issues?

Last edited by _MrBubbles_; 09-26-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 03:27 PM

654 posts, read 280,014 times
Quote:

AMEN!!!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:29 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MrBubbles_ View Post
Now how about showing concern for some real issues?
Feel free to raise some real issues and I'll show concern for them. The topic of this thread is Aunt Jemima, so I addressed my comments to this subject.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:45 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Meanwhile the family of the woman who posed as Aunt Jemima is upset that their great aunt is being "written out of history".

There are always two sides to a story.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:46 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
I think they..the woke...are hysterical

Black people can advertise everything from cars.....to feminine products....to bank loans

...and if you didn't know better....you'd think this country was majority black...they are in every ad

but they can't be a good cook and sell pancakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies