Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 04:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My local school district made national news this past summer as it relates to school board policies regarding masking. It got ugly, real ugly.

School board members who had yet to vote were harassed at home and in some cases their property vandalized.

There seemed to be a collective sigh of relief when the Governor mandated masks in schools. Those opposed to masks could redirect their anger at the Governor instead of friends, neighbors and locally elected officials.

And for things to change, the people must do so. They know where these people live... Do what needs to be done. Period. It does appear that the US is the main country with these science defying mandates...

https://ajlamesa.medium.com/children...l-b244e4f035ad

More confirmation to me that progressives in the US are in fact dumber than ones in other countries. They are more petty and care more about being obeyed and their authority being respected. This is why school boards the nation over need to be recalled and voted out. Strip them of all their salaries also..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 04:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Republicans love public schools even more than Democrats.

Enjoy.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:39 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploytewe View Post
Yes its very sad.......

What can we do though?
Let them be children. At least give them the dignity to play outside without masks in 90 degree weather.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Nana, move to Japan or South Korea thx.
I was born in the USA and I am not moving because you disagree with me about the vaccine. I am 75 years old and lived through other pandemics. I have had all my vaccines including this one. I lived through the polio epidemic way back in the old days (I was a child in the 1950s and 60s)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=uxbndlbing

"In the early 1950s, before polio vaccines were available, polio outbreaks caused more than 15,000 cases of paralysis each year," the agency's website reads. "Following introduction of vaccines—specifically, trivalent inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) in 1955 and trivalent oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV) in 1963—the number of polio cases fell rapidly to less than 100 in the 1960s and fewer than 10 in the 1970s."

The disease believed to have caused Franklin Delano Roosevelt's paralysis spread through contaminated food or water. If someone infected with polio shows symptoms, they most commonly have a fever, pain and vomiting. A percentage of cases spread to the central nervous system, leading to paralysis or death. If polio weakened a patient's ability to breathe, they could be placed in an iron lung, a type of respirator not often seen today.

Pittsburgh-area researcher Dr. Jonas Salk developed a cure that would soon be tested in perhaps the largest medical product test in the nation's history. Thanks to funding from the charity the March of Dimes, more than a million schoolchildren took part in a huge clinical trial.

The vaccinators came to Dr. Stephen Gluckman's elementary school when he was in second grade. He remembers lining up outside the school nurse's office.

"Everybody was scared because we knew it involved needles. And we marched in there one at a time, so nobody else could hear people crying, if they were," Gluckman said.

Dr. Jonas Salk stands in the University of Pittsburgh laboratory in which he developed a vaccine for polio.© Provided by NBC Philadelphia Dr. Jonas Salk stands in the University of Pittsburgh laboratory in which he developed a vaccine for polio.
He got his three shots spread out in that school year. Children received blood tests to check for immunity, and it took a year to collate and analyze the data from so many different local sources.

Then came a news conference, where Dr. Thomas Francis announced the Salk vaccine was "safe, potent and effective," to the relief of millions of frightened parents.

"Those three words were the headline of every newspaper in America," said Dr. Paul Offit, who heads the Vaccine Education Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Offit says the polio vaccination effort was "Warp Speed One." Doses were being manufactured before the trial was complete, allowing for larger supply than if manufacturers had waited for the trials and approvals to finish.

As luck would have it, Gluckman received the placebo as part of the study, and would have to go back for three shots of tried-and-tested vaccine. Though he might have felt unlucky, many felt joy.

"I think it has to be looked at in the context of how Americans thought of science at that time," March of Dimes archivist David Rose says in a video in The History of Vaccines, a project by The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. "It was the tail end of the McCarthy era, there was the Cold War paranoia, there was the fear of the atomic bomb, and here [Salk] was a hero, a real scientific hero that I think many Americans, ordinary Americans, could connect with. Because if nuclear war was feared during that time, polio was also highly feared, and here was the beginning of the end of that dreaded disease."

After the trials were complete, the March of Dimes and counties in the U.S. established clinics for children to get vaccinated. In the 1950s and '60s, Bucks County's health department had Well Child Clinics at schools, churches, an American Legion hall and a Quaker meeting house.

All these years later, the Mercer Museum in Doylestown holds the personal papers of Bernice M. Gorski, a nurse who worked in the clinics and administered polio shots. One letter from the health department asks her to work a monthly slate of clinics for $2.50 an hour.

There was also a considerable public health messaging effort encouraging parents to get their children vaccinated. The messaging needed to overcome some parents' skepticism after a batch of defective doses from Cutter Labs in California killed 10 children and infected tens of thousands (which Offit chronicled in a book).

Bucks County in May 1956 released a pamphlet calling the polio clinics "the best chance for protection before polio hits again, if vaccine is given now" to children six months to 14 years old, and to expectant mothers.

"As the supply of Salk vaccine increases, these as well as older children may be able to receive it through their family doctors," the pamphlet reads. It called for an immediate step up in vaccinations to "make a real dent in polio in 1956."

By mid-June of that year, more than half of the county's 42,000 children 14 and under had received at least one shot.

a group of people standing in front of a building: 6th May 1956: First injections for children against polio at a clinic in Hendon, Middlesex County, England. (Photo by Monty Fresco Jnr/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)© Provided by NBC Philadelphia 6th May 1956: First injections for children against polio at a clinic in Hendon, Middlesex County, England. (Photo by Monty Fresco Jnr/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
Gorski later received a handwritten letter of recognition from Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, thanking her for possessing the healing skills of the "Great Physician," a reference to Jesus Christ.

"That innate understanding has very often brought solace to those in pain and fear, especially timid school children," the Sisters wrote.

A few years after Salk's vaccine was approved, it became less common when Albert Sabin's vaccine was also shown to be effective in clinical trials. A dose of the Sabin vaccine could be put on a sugar cube with a dropper and it didn't require a professional to simply hand the cube to a child.

Philadelphia's Health Commissioner, Dr. Thomas Farley, recalled his childhood experience getting that vaccine during a city news conference about the current pandemic.

"Everybody just lined up. You walked in, they handed you a sugar cube, you swallowed it and walked on. Each person was a few seconds," Farley said.

The CDC now reports that since 1979, no cases of polio have originated in the U.S.

"However, the virus has been brought into the country by travelers with polio. The last time this happened was in 1993," according to the CDC's website.

Do you think that people were scared of the polio vaccine? You bet they were, but they were more scared of polio.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:49 PM

7,353 posts, read 3,525,357 times
It’s a smart virus. Kids need to mask up in schools but not anywhere else. Follow the science!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:13 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You know, now I am regretting, I posted OP.
It is so completely misunderstood, what she is saying, it is ridiculous.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 PM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You know, now I am regretting, I posted OP.
It is so completely misunderstood, what she is saying, it is ridiculous.
She is panicked and terrified of getting sick. Who can blame her? I suspect she watches CNN all day long.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Point of her speech was - masking children was done not because anyone in charge cares about their health or health of their parents.
It was done to be in compliance with a certain guidance as that compliance, allowed school district to receive almost six million dollars in funding that will g into the board pockets.

THAT is the point. That's of course, if you actually watched the video, instead of jumping on title and ending with half page long posts, how it is NORMAL for children to grow with muzzles and gags. Just because in Asia they wear them due to terrifying smog and particulate. And even that was voluntary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies