Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 03:05 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
There is in my industry. I manage a small part (100 or so people) of large company (75,000+ people) and I have 30+ openings for software developers......and have had 10 applicants in 2 months. The director I report to has about 850 engineers reporting to her and she has 100+ openings we are struggling to fill. I've been in this industry for nearly 40 years and have never seen anything like this.
What happened to your workers ? Did they quit ? Did they die of covid ? Did they all retire ?
Was your company short of workers like this in 2019 ? 2020 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 03:08 PM

6,968 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
There is no labor shortage.
There is a shortage of "laborers". Everyone thinks they can make it being a YouTube star.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What happened to your workers ? Did they quit ? Did they die of covid ? Did they all retire ?
Was your company short of workers like this in 2019 ? 2020 ?
There’s been a shortage in most STEM fields for awhile now. Covid has made it worse. I’ll refer back to my post on page 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
There are more job openings than people on unemployment. There are labor shortages in *all* industries. It’s not fast food workers and chain restaurant servers collecting unemployment.

No, it’s the first rumbles of the demographic transition. Covid caused a lot of retirements, and quite a few of these are from the first modern generation that reproduced at replacement levels. Our whole society is structured on having one manager for multiple people. That doesn’t work when only one to two of those underlings exist.

But sure, let’s blame hip hop.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
There is in my industry. I manage a small part (100 or so people) of large company (75,000+ people) and I have 30+ openings for software developers......and have had 10 applicants in 2 months. The director I report to has about 850 engineers reporting to her and she has 100+ openings we are struggling to fill. I've been in this industry for nearly 40 years and have never seen anything like this.
I'm ready to switch.
Currently fully remote, $290K+, bonuses, benefits and options.

Will accept fully remote, $350K+, bonuses, benefits and options.

Oh, you can't offer that? Then it means not a "labor shortage". It means "greedy company can't find someone working his a.. off for peanuts".

/thread.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:23 PM

6,968 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
If there is no labor shortage, how is everyone who isn't working paying their bills since UE ran out and no longer pay the bump in benefits?
They are probably leeching off of their parents.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really beginning to wonder what has happened to all those people. The stimulus money (except child care credit) and unemployment bonuses ended a good while back. People can not still be living off that money. What are they doing or are people disappearing.
Several hundred thousand people have died so far of Covid, not all of them retired or unemployed. That's a lot of workers to lose permanently. And for the positions of those who died due to exposure at work, it's not easy to entice new employees to work under the same conditions. Hence, supply chain issues in industries where those conditions are the norm.

Additionally, if I recall correctly, a large number of illegal workers returned to their home countries when jobs were cut due to the pandemic. America is more dependent upon illegal labor than we want to acknowledge.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Because hundreds of thousands are getting ready for the new "guaranteed income" to be rolled out.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really beginning to wonder what has happened to all those people. The stimulus money (except child care credit) and unemployment bonuses ended a good while back. People can not still be living off that money. What are they doing or are people disappearing.
Huge problem with babysitters and daycare. My daughter can’t keep a babysitter (20 hours a week for $18.50 hour)because skilled nannies want full-time and she and will probably have to stop working again (as a geriatric nurse practitioner) until childcare can be more reliable. Maybe when the little ones can all be vaccinated. The daycare at her hospital has closed multiple times due to Covid among the staff. Sad for everyone.
I really feel for mothers who need to make mortgage payments and feed the kids.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Entitled to a decent wage... please define decent wage. $100k to flip burgers ? $50k?
Guess we should have fought harder to keep all those decent paying jobs we let get offshored through the '80s, 90s, and early 2000's.
No, we should be investing more in education and be producing more software engineers and robotics technicians to run factories.
But those manufacturing jobs that don’t require an education are gone for good since Americans prefer cheaply made foreign goods.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
They are probably leeching off of their parents.
No the parents are broke too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies