Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 03:40 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
No, we should be investing more in education and be producing more software engineers and robotics technicians to run factories.
But those manufacturing jobs that don’t require an education are gone for good since Americans prefer cheaply made foreign goods.
Well, i won't argue your point, i will add that not everyone is cut out for those types of jobs you suggest, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 03:58 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Several hundred thousand people have died so far of Covid, not all of them retired or unemployed. That's a lot of workers to lose permanently. And for the positions of those who died due to exposure at work, it's not easy to entice new employees to work under the same conditions. Hence, supply chain issues in industries where those conditions are the norm.

Additionally, if I recall correctly, a large number of illegal workers returned to their home countries when jobs were cut due to the pandemic. America is more dependent upon illegal labor than we want to acknowledge.
The bulk of them (79%) though were not of working age..over 65.
That is from the CDC

Well we've gotten "replacement illegals" to the tune of 200K per month captured for the past 9 months.
That's 1.8 million captured illegals and who knows how many million that didn't get caught came here.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:06 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
I retired from teaching due to Covid and am now at a coding academy for software developers. A lot of people don't want to or aren't able to do work this complicated.

The target demographic of the academy is high school graduates who don't want to attend a four-year college. Most of the participants are in their 20s or early 30s, although I am not the only older person enrolled. There were over 100 people who applied and attended the one-week bootcamp. Of them, over 80 were invited to join the academy. Over a dozen dropped out within the first week. Now nearly three months in, we are down to around half of those who started. We've been warned that another drop-off occurs once we move from web design to programming. It's hard to learn and that contributes to a shortage of developers.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:17 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who said anything about demanding unskilled labor wages be crap? Supply and demand, is what I said.
What I said is no one is entitled to a decent wage meaning whatever wage they think they should get and most unskilled low wage jobs are not meant to be career choices that will allow one to to support a family or even themselves 100%.

Wages are determined by either or both skill/talent/training, supply and demand. If you think you are worth more than the position offers, go find an employer that is willing to pay that amount. If no one is willing to work for X amount, then the employer will have to up that amount. That is how it should work and IMO should.
I would also say no employer is entitled to workers that ate paid a low wage though many think they are. Where is it written these jobs are not supposed to be careers? I have yet for someone to explain where they came up with that. That is exactly what is happening employees do not want to work for low wages so they are not applying for these jobs. Supply and demand.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:19 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
No, we should be investing more in education and be producing more software engineers and robotics technicians to run factories.
But those manufacturing jobs that don’t require an education are gone for good since Americans prefer cheaply made foreign goods.
lol...they go to college and major in the liberal arts which the social justice warriors consider part of "STEM" as well...got to be all inclusive.

You'll find Chinese and Indians in engineering courses.

The majority of Americans just can't do math and score in the bottom tiers on global tests like PISA.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:44 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Joe pays more for u to sit in the house like a silly mouse and do nothing.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:51 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
lol...they go to college and major in the liberal arts which the social justice warriors consider part of "STEM" as well...got to be all inclusive.

You'll find Chinese and Indians in engineering courses.

The majority of Americans just can't do math and score in the bottom tiers on global tests like PISA.
If we valued education and offered better math/science at K-12 we’d have more kids going into engineering. Rather we praise the football players and prom queens, not the nerds. And I’m the nerdy English major that married the nerdy programmer.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:10 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What happened to your workers ? Did they quit ? Did they die of covid ? Did they all retire ?
Was your company short of workers like this in 2019 ? 2020 ?
They quit for a variety of reasons (location closer to family, pay raise, try something different, the usual), although we're seeing more retirements than usual. The retirements were expected, since there was a big hiring bubble in this industry in the early 1980s. We did have a few people die of COVID as well. As I stated, this is the worst shortage I've seen in 35+ years. We had a pretty severe shortage in late 2019 early 2020. Things slowed down severely in early 2021 and we had to RIF some people, but nothing compared to how many we now need to hire. In fact, we kept quite a few (far more than were RIFed) on overhead for months in anticipation of work coming in late Q2 of 2021. There is an honest-to-goodness labor shortage in the software development industry and it's nationwide. We have sites all over the country (the world, actually) and every single one can't hire enough people.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
The real shortage is employers who pay a livable wage.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:58 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Obviously the main reason is the unemployment supplement and extension is the major reason. Since those both expired a couple weeks ago, I’m guessing many will soon be filling out job applications.

It is far from "obvious." The amount of money paid out in stimulus and unemployment is not enough to explain millions of unfilled jobs. It's a complex problem, a lot of it has to do with a mismatch between the skills that the unemployed have versus jobs available. Also, some applicants are refusing to accept jobs with high levels of Covid exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies