Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 04:41 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Is this a serious question? A livable wage would be one where you are able to pay your rent/mortgage, buy groceries, pay your utilities, etc.

Its clearly a serious question despite you trying to belittle to poster asking the question. COL is different in different areas, too. Thank God I do not live in California, nor would I be willing to visit on the companys dime like I used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 04:52 PM

29,481 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Is this a serious question? A livable wage would be one where you are able to pay your rent/mortgage, buy groceries, pay your utilities, etc.
Lol, you've got to do better than that. I hope you are aware that the cost of living varies across the country.

Are you suggesting that someone flipping burgers in TriBeCa should be getting paid enough to pay their rent/mortgage, buy groceries, pay their utilities, to live in that area ? I think the average rent there is $5k.
So , what should a fair "livable wage" , for this hypothetical individual to flip burgers ? $100k ?

Here in MI, my daughter pays her rent, lease payment and utilities on $17 an hour. She works quality control at a s automotive supplier. According to your definition, that is a "livable wage", correct?

Big difference between the two areas.

Again, I'll say, we should have fought harder to keep the jobs that did pay "livable wages" onshore decades ago. This is the bed we made, by turning to a service based economy, no we have to lie in it. It's all good though, the middle classes we created by doing so, are enjoying their lives.

Old 09-30-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
It's an artificially created labor shortage. We don't need a burger joint, gas station and other low paying jobs on every corner. We are saturated with them and then the employers cry about a labor shortage. IMO, new start ups of those kinds of low paying jobs should be regulated to fit the labor pool for those types of jobs. Employers use this so-called labor shortage claim to justify hiring illegal aliens to when it's simply about being able to pay them less to increase their profits. Then that creates a whole new set of problems for our society. Not to mention that they are violating our laws by doing so.
Wow, you want to regulate free enterprise? Sounds like a scary path you want us to take....

Old 09-30-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Better yet, why don't we just have a government mandate making equal pay for everyone, from the burger flipper to the ceo, to the doctor....everyone gets a cool million a year. Hell, we might as well extend that million a year out to welfare recipients and illegals as well. Fair for all !

Old 09-30-2021, 05:29 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Lol, you've got to do better than that. I hope you are aware that the cost of living varies across the country.

Are you suggesting that someone flipping burgers in TriBeCa should be getting paid enough to pay their rent/mortgage, buy groceries, pay their utilities, to live in that area ? I think the average rent there is $5k.
So , what should a fair "livable wage" , for this hypothetical individual to flip burgers ? $100k ?

Here in MI, my daughter pays her rent, lease payment and utilities on $17 an hour. She works quality control at a s automotive supplier. According to your definition, that is a "livable wage", correct?

Big difference between the two areas.

Again, I'll say, we should have fought harder to keep the jobs that did pay "livable wages" onshore decades ago. This is the bed we made, by turning to a service based economy, no we have to lie in it. It's all good though, the middle classes we created by doing so, are enjoying their lives.
I guess the people of TriBeCa will just have to steal themselves to no more service and accept flipping their own burgers then.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess the people of TriBeCa will just have to steal themselves to no more service and accept flipping their own burgers then.
I look at it a different way. The small business burger joint owners will have to close up shop, because they can't afford to pay all their workers $100k a year.

It's almost like those on the left want to see small businesses fail, and the evil E Corp (Mr. Robot reference) running the world.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:57 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I look at it a different way. The small business burger joint owners will have to close up shop, because they can't afford to pay all their workers $100k a year.

It's almost like those on the left want to see small businesses fail, and the evil E Corp (Mr. Robot reference) running the world.
So evil corporations can afford to pay 100k a year for flipping burgers? I don't understand the distinction, in my experience the opposite is true, when I was working in a small business there were times were we were happy to make enough to keep the doors open and make payroll, once you are part of the corporation if you are not making enough margin to cover cost of capital they will shut you down with the quickness, money needs to work making more money if the division is not making more money than the corporation can make in a slush fund why bother.
I dont see the left/right dialectic on this subject, people on the left want low skill service labor to make above market rate, people on the right want low skill manufacturing jobs to pay above market rates. One wants to flip burgers the other put a brake pad on the box.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
So evil corporations can afford to pay 100k a year for flipping burgers? I don't understand the distinction, in my experience the opposite is true, when I was working in a small business there were times were we were happy to make enough to keep the doors open and make payroll, once you are part of the corporation if you are not making enough margin to cover cost of capital they will shut you down with the quickness, money needs to work making more money if the division is not making more money than the corporation can make in a slush fund why bother.
I dont see the left/right dialectic on this subject, people on the left want low skill service labor to make above market rate, people on the right want low skill manufacturing jobs to pay above market rates. One wants to flip burgers the other put a brake pad on the box.
I hear what you are saying, and agree that no one can afford to pay a burger flipper $100k. Although, did we not see corporations putting small shops out of business ? That can't be denied.

And your example is one and the same, non skilled labor, i feel the same about both. The problem i have is forcing a company to pay more than what the market rates are.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:17 PM

62,939 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Who decides what we need where, I cant open a business where I want, of what I want, that sounds like big C word there guy.
It's about government regulations. We have them for many other things. We also have immigration laws and non-regulated business start ups where there isn't enough American labor to fill those jobs just encourages them to hire illegal aliens or bring in millions of other foreigners to fill them which creates a whole host of other problems for our society since they are low paying jobs. We have far too many of these low paying jobs already in our country.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:19 PM

62,939 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So that's about $70-80K a year.
For a burger flipper working 30 hours a week ?
Where did I say that? The question posed is what is a liveable wage and I answered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies