Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2021, 03:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Sweaty kitchen, 100+ degree heat, while being forced to strap a multiple layered piece of cloth over your face...why would anyone have a problem with that?
Honesty here: Of those 3 jobs I applied to/interviewed for as an experiment, one of them, the one I had no skills in, I actually wanted to do when I was younger, but no one would hire me because I lacked experience. Today? They will train me.

And the pay is pretty good.

And when they hired me, (I didn't take the job), I went back to what I'm doing now, and thought about it. I had 4 days to think about it before I had to go in and officially accept the job.

I thought about it a lot.

But the one thing that kept me from taking it was EXACTLY what you wrote. I am not going to bust my tail feathers off while having to wear a bacteria rag over my face, let alone one day face the possibility of: "We are requiring everyone to get the 'vaccine."

If none of that was in the equation, I'll be honest, I would have taken it. I would have done that and what I'm doing now, until I worked my way up to a skilled laborer in that particular job, and the pay would have been more than what I'm making now.

Get rid of this stupid, useless mask 'mandate', and stop threatening people with that experiment jab.

It wasn't my dream job - it is just a job I always thought would be fun, but I will not do it while this nonsense continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
exactly. People are complaining about a labor shortage, then on the other side they go around berating the "labor" class about leveling up. Like how can you take these people serious when they want to be on EVERY side of the debate.

And unrelated to this post:

I thought the pandemic killed off this idea of skilled vs unskilled labor. There is necessary and unnecessary labor. When America basically shut down it was the "unskilled labor" that didn't skip a beat and risked their lives out here feeding people and doing essential tasks in America while all the skilled people sat at home "quarantining" and making pandemic tiktoks.
re: the bolded

Exactly this.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Odd, I have all that and work in an office 40 hours per week. I am extremely happy with my life.
Goody gum drops for you. Not everyone wants to spend their lives exactly as you do.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:51 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Lazy generation of kids with no work ethic or discipline instilled in them by any parental figure. Cut and dry. If you don't push your kids to have any responsibility, they won't ever develop it. Jeesh I grew up helping do construction work with my step dad as a little kid (picking up up trash/wood etc around the job site) pretty much against my will. Always crying up a storm. You can't even find a damn 18 year old to do that now. In fact, I can't even remember a year where I wasnt doing some form of manual labor from a small child to my 20s. I never made it a career but at least I got some discipline instilled in me for later in life.

Its basically worthless breeding more worthless. And the cycle continues. This gen will breed more worthless. Hard work and discipline basically ended during the boomer era. My parents generation
Hard work and discipline got my daughter through an engineering degree in 3.5 years. She did not need to sling hash for minimum wage to prove that she has an excellent work ethic. Her younger brother is on the same path. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how I did as a parent, even though it did not involve forcing my kids to perform manual labor through tears. Just sayin'.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Goody gum drops for you. Not everyone wants to spend their lives exactly as you do.
You gave your life experience, I gave mine. Get a grip.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:00 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:

Oh its the "not all" defense to the rescue again, nor do they want to spend their exactly as you.

The not all defense applies to literally every group, isnt that ironic?

Full disclosure: I spent better than 20years or so in said 40 hr week office job and while sometimes I indeed did not enjoy some of it...but the good out weighted the bad for me, still does.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Oh its the "not all" defense to the rescue again, nor do they want to spend their exactly as you.

The not all defense applies to literally every group, isnt that ironic?

Full disclosure: I spent better than 20years or so in said 40 hr week office job and while sometimes I indeed did not enjoy some of it...but the good out weighted the bad for me, still does.
Sigh. Try reading everything that I said before you slide in with your comment.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-02-2021 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-02-2021, 03:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
With so many terms being "outlawed" now, the term "living wage" should be on the front burner.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:07 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
It is a different work ethic, and not a lack of a work ethic. That is true.

Now, I'm going to share, yet again on this forum, a conversation my dad and I had one time, when I was fresh out of college, and just like the young today, didn't want to do a job I hated for my entire life.

• Dad: You should work at the post office.
  • Me: I can't think of a more boring and depressing job in the world.
  • Dad: It's government work, you would get great benefits, and be able to retire early.
  • Me: (My dad was an engineer, but I knew what my dad truly loved.) Dad, what did you want to be when you were growing up?
  • Dad: A forest park ranger.
  • Me: (Exactly what I thought, he LOVED the outdoors. LOVED. IT.) Why didn't you become one?
  • Dad: Well, I had kids and a family, so I chose something different.
  • Me: But wouldn't you rather be happy than make a lot of money?
  • Dad: .............Well.......... I wasn't unahppy.

That was the day that I vowed I would NEVER go through life saying, 'Well, I wasn't unhappy."

I might not have a huge McMansion in the suburbs, I might not have a garage stuffed with crap, I might not have a big SUV, I might not have a giant flat screen tv...but do you know what I do have?

A LOT of experience. By not settling for a boring, depressing, soul sucking job, I have been all over the world. I have met thousands upon thousands of people. I have seen just about every area of the United States. I have lived in many different areas, and can tell you that each has their own 'culture'.

I have seen so much, experienced so much, met so many people - and while I'm not 'financially set', I would never trade a minute of it.

I lived life while working. I did not stay in one job, at one office, trying to climb the corporate ladder - I did what I loved - exploring.

We can't take our material goods with us when we die.

And when I'm 90 years old, sitting in my rocking chair, looking back on my life, I am NOT going to regret that I did not sit in an office for 40 years, hating my life 40+ hours a week, dreading Sunday nights, and filling up my emptiness with cheap plastic crap.

I am filled with memories and experiences, which are much better than 'Well, at least I have a 401k for the 15-20 years before I die.'
It's all about work life balance. And a bonus if one can find that career that they love. To each their own.

I am always skeptical when I hear people state "it isn't about the money for me", "I'd rather be happy than have a huge house with a garage full of SUV's" etc. It isn't about that, and why do people focus on those extremes ? Although, there are plenty of materialistic people out there, most, i think just want to live a nice life.

I'll use my Dad as an example. He graduated HS with good grades, planned on going to college, but had to pay for it himself. So he got hired at one of the major automotive OEM's, working in a plant...a soul sucking job , some one say. A year later, before he started college, his number came up and off to Vietnam (well actually Thailand) he went. When he came back stateside, he still had another year left in the Air Force. He met my Mom, and shortly after had a surprise, me. When he got out of the AF, he still had that soul sucking job at the plant. The good thing though , was there was opportunity there. That opportunity took sacrifices though. He eventually became a skilled tradesman, and later earned a degree. All that took sacrifice, and not for a big house, or big SUV's or other materialistic things. He sacrificed so Mom could stay home and raise me, not the day care center. So that we could live in an old 900 sqft house. So that he could afford a nicer used car that was reliable. So we didn't have to worry if we could keep the heat on. So we always had food on the table. So we always had decent clothes to wear. I don't think we got a second car until I was in high school. Their first nice "big" house (1200 sqft) was bought the year I graduated HS. I don't remember Dad buying something just for him until I was in my 20's.

He sacrificed to support his family. All the good stuff came later. Dad had no regrets, and even though I couldn't do his job, nor could you it sounds like, he was happy. I'm sure those early days weren't but that is why he worked hard to change that, and it paid off in the end. I'm very proud of Dad, and what he accomplished, and thank him for being responsible for the person I am today.

Me on the other had. I've always had expensive hobbies, and tastes. I raced BMX when I was a kid, Dad couldn't afford to buy me the parts and gear I wanted, so I started working at the age of 12. As I got older, and into cars, I liked muscle cars and drag racing, then boats, etc.
I was one of the lucky ones though that landed in a career that I love, and still do to this day, after being in it for over 30 years. I love what I do and get paid well for it. Even the years I worked 56 hour work weeks for months on end, we were having fun. It wasn't like work at all. And the money was great. My time working at a soul sucking job was very limited, so maybe that is why I think the way I do. I truly have been blessed , I've got a very satisfying work life, a happy marriage, and don't have to worry about bills. Life is great, and stress free.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 10-02-2021 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-03-2021, 11:19 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What would you have determine a career job?
No employers cant make the wage anything they want. The goal is to make a profit or at the very least keep the business running. There is a limit on the amount one gets from their product or service and stay competitive. Then you must consider your overhead expenses. Not only do employers pay a wage there is also workman's comp, FICA, and UI and often health insurance.

How many manager positions do you think there are and how much more do you think they pay?

Yes I take the amount of skilled jobs into consideration. Thats why those unskilled lower paying jobs have been held by student, retired folks and as second incomes. I also take into consideration that there are many people who will never be able to obtain a higher paying skilled job due to personal abilities.

Businesses are creating these low paying jobs due to demand and what the consumer is willing to pay for product/service. We are already seeing prices going up in FF. Are you going to (theoretically) be willing to pay 10-15$ for BigMac.

Maybe these employees should start their own business.
Career is something people do as adults to pay their bills living expenses it is that simple. Of course businesses must make profit but employers are not entitled to have employees especially ones that they can pay low wages for. Prices have been going up without wages going up prices are affected by more then wages. Big Macs are not going up that much wages and prices do not go up at the same rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies