Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 08:29 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,006 times

Advertisements

To answer the the threads question LAZY PEOPLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 08:26 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The bolded is correct.
There is nothing inherently wrong with not wanting to work. Do you get on woman who have babies and stop working or people who volunteer instead of working? There is more ways to contribute to society then working a job. If people have enough money that they do not have to work so what if they do not work why do you care so much?

Old 10-08-2021, 06:12 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with not wanting to work. Do you get on woman who have babies and stop working or people who volunteer instead of working? There is more ways to contribute to society then working a job. If people have enough money that they do not have to work so what if they do not work why do you care so much?
With the exception of those that are unable to work (physical/mental issues, or retired) , if you are leeching off society, then I do care, as should anyone that gets up, goes to work every day. You want to be a leech, then prepare to be called out on it, and or don't complain about how unfair society is to you.
If one has a trust or won the lottery and has enough money to live their lives without being a leech, well kudus to them, I could care less what they do.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:14 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Did all the people who took a lay off at the beginning of the pandemic or who left the workforce suddenly become financially independent somehow so they no longer need an income.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:35 AM

1,579 posts, read 949,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did all the people who took a lay off at the beginning of the pandemic or who left the workforce suddenly become financially independent somehow so they no longer need an income.
I think a fair amount of people were, for the most part, retired who were working for a little extra money and for the social aspect of working. At least, where I live that’s who I saw in the restaurants and box stores before the pandemic: a mix of senior citizens and much younger people. A few of my mom’s friends (in their 70s) had part time jobs to help stay active. A lot of them didn’t need the money. One of my mom’s friends owns two beach condos. But he worked in a nearby restaurant because he liked interacting with people. But when the pandemic came, he just decided to give it up. I don’t see those older people anymore. I think a lot of them decided the same as my mom’s friend, that they would retire permanently because of the risk COVID presents to older people. They probably do just live off their retirement savings and social security and don’t need an income.

Aside from older workers, a lot of younger workers used the pandemic (and being laid off) as a chance to find a better work. Job websites like monster.com and indeed.com recorded record traffic during that time. Basically, they found greener pastures and better paying jobs. So why return to their old jobs when they found better ones?

And some thing that is kind of self perpetuating is that there is a shortage of daycare and child care workers. Because there’s a shortage of these kind of workers, a lot of families can’t afford to have both parents go back to work. So someone stays home to watch the kids instead of going to a job.

Well I’m sure a lot of you are right that there are still lazy people out there, there have always been lazy people who lived off the system. I don’t think we have an influx of new people doing this. I think what it is, is that we’ve been at record low unemployment for well over a decade now. Pretty much, we’ve been at the cusp of a labor shortage for a while now. But the pandemic pushed just passed a tipping point. Low unemployment, plus people leaving the workforce permanently, plus people unable to return, equals a labor shortage. .

Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I think a fair amount of people were, for the most part, retired who were working for a little extra money and for the social aspect of working. At least, where I live that’s who I saw in the restaurants and box stores before the pandemic: a mix of senior citizens and much younger people. A few of my mom’s friends (in their 70s) had part time jobs to help stay active. A lot of them didn’t need the money. One of my mom’s friends owns two beach condos. But he worked in a nearby restaurant because he liked interacting with people. But when the pandemic came, he just decided to give it up. I don’t see those older people anymore. I think a lot of them decided the same as my mom’s friend, that they would retire permanently because of the risk COVID presents to older people. They probably do just live off their retirement savings and social security and don’t need an income.

Aside from older workers, a lot of younger workers used the pandemic (and being laid off) as a chance to find a better work. Job websites like monster.com and indeed.com recorded record traffic during that time. Basically, they found greener pastures and better paying jobs. So why return to their old jobs when they found better ones?

And some thing that is kind of self perpetuating is that there is a shortage of daycare and child care workers. Because there’s a shortage of these kind of workers, a lot of families can’t afford to have both parents go back to work. So someone stays home to watch the kids instead of going to a job.

Well I’m sure a lot of you are right that there are still lazy people out there, there have always been lazy people who lived off the system. I don’t think we have an influx of new people doing this. I think what it is, is that we’ve been at record low unemployment for well over a decade now. Pretty much, we’ve been at the cusp of a labor shortage for a while now. But the pandemic pushed just passed a tipping point. Low unemployment, plus people leaving the workforce permanently, plus people unable to return, equals a labor shortage. .
I disagree with this. I know of many young people that had just started into the workforce that have decided not to return to it because they are making more being at home on unemployment and the extra subsidy (here in MI, I believe they are still getting an extra $300). It is a tough one, being that age, and working ****ty jobs...it would be easier to just stay home and collect. Although it is also a great opportunity to take advantage of the situation and better oneself, although that kind of thinking comes with maturity.

I follow street racing, real street racing not dorks doing donuts in intersections. And I've seen a lot of younger people just traveling the country with their race car in the trailer and a truckful of buddies going from city to city doing nothing but street race. I'm sure they are collecting unemployment, or if business owners, took advantage of the feds hand out and are just going to have fun until the money runs out, or the car breaks. It definitely looks like fun.

I'm sure there are others that worked just to do something, and now just don't want to be out dealing with people during a pandemic.

Then, there are the leeches, that just want to live off the system. We've always had these kind of people, but with the addition of the others, we now have a labor shortage.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:24 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Right, because the vaccine doesn't keep one from contracting it, it keeps one from being hospitalized.
Is that not a worthwhile outcome in your eyes? Less chance of getting sick, but if you do get sick you don't go to the hospital or die?

Old 10-08-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Is that not a worthwhile outcome in your eyes? Less chance of getting sick, but if you do get sick you don't go to the hospital or die?
Never said it wasn't. Want to get vaccinated, go for it. Don't want to, go for it. Just don't push the narrative that being vaccinated doesn't contribute to transmission.

For the record, I am vaccinated, and just recovered from Covid.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:32 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

I think a logical, reasonable person would expect a vaccine to create immunity; not a lesser chance of going to the hospital even if you do catch the virus. Thats what Id expect from a vaccine. Id prefer natural immunity, though.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:37 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
I think a logical, reasonable person would expect a vaccine to create immunity; not a lesser chance of going to the hospital even if you do catch the virus. Thats what Id expect from a vaccine. Id prefer natural immunity, though.
And to get "natural immunity" you have to first suffer from, and potentially die from, COVID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies