Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 06:33 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Again, that isn't your or my choice to make for people. For the record, I've been vaccinated, and just recovered from Covid (last week). And yes, it was a mild case. Three relatively bad days, then just a week of fatigue.

That being said, I support people having the choice to get vaccinated or not.
Well, you and Typhoid Mary are in agreement. You keep repeating the same tired old line which is not true. The courts continue to support mandated vaccinations, as they have done for over 100 years. It's call being a responsible adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 06:40 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
The difference is that those of us with a functioning brain stem take reasonable steps to avoid unnecessary risk. And the chances of being hit with a falling item are waaaaaay less than 1 in a 100.

Who gets to decide what is "reasonable" and "unnecessary"? I will decide these items for myself, I suggest you do the same. We will likely agree to disagree, cheers.

Life is full of risks and decisions that will affect the same everyday. How much soda I drink is likely more dangerous than covid to me.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:44 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Well, you and Typhoid Mary are in agreement. You keep repeating the same tired old line which is not true. The courts continue to support mandated vaccinations, as they have done for over 100 years. It's call being a responsible adult.
Right , wrong, indifferent, etc....I support choice, and am against mandates. You choose differently. I won't judge you for that.

I again, fail to understand the logic of mandating a vaccine that does not prevent the transmission of a virus that the majority of the population of the earth will eventually get.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
The difference is that those of us with a functioning brain stem take reasonable steps to avoid unnecessary risk. And the chances of being hit with a falling item are waaaaaay less than 1 in a 100.

over 700,000 folks in the US have died from Covid. I know a few personally. Never knew of anyone who was killed by a falling object.

lol that you think your post passes as "critical thinking"
You mean with covid, not from covid. Most do not believe that number.
Falling. Death from falling is the second leading cause of unintentional injury deaths world wide.

You speak as though the risk of dying of Covid is high. It isnt.
You speak as though the vaccine is the be all end all. It isnt.

Reasonably if one is high risk for Covid, hasn't already had Covid, and has no conditions that would make it risky to take the vaccine, on should consider taking the vaccine.
Otherwise, if one is low risk, has already had Covid or has a condition making the vaccine risky, one does not need to consider taking the vaccine.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:56 AM

"It seems like people have stopped looking at jobs as rungs on a ladder, and have started looking at all the rungs as a destination, and have concluded that just because one rung is lower than another, there shouldn't be a difference in pay"

Mike Rowe

Old 10-11-2021, 08:25 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Who gets to decide what is "reasonable" and "unnecessary"? I will decide these items for myself, I suggest you do the same. We will likely agree to disagree, cheers.

Life is full of risks and decisions that will affect the same everyday. How much soda I drink is likely more dangerous than covid to me.
Equating drinking soda to Covid shows the paucity of your position.

As for who get to decide, it isn't you. Like it or not, it is, at some level, of the health care professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Right , wrong, indifferent, etc....I support choice, and am against mandates. You choose differently. I won't judge you for that.

I again, fail to understand the logic of mandating a vaccine that does not prevent the transmission of a virus that the majority of the population of the earth will eventually get.
Your lack of understanding is on you. Health care professionals see it as not only logical but necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You mean with covid, not from covid. Most do not believe that number.
Falling. Death from falling is the second leading cause of unintentional injury deaths world wide.

You speak as though the risk of dying of Covid is high. It isnt.
You speak as though the vaccine is the be all end all. It isnt.

Reasonably if one is high risk for Covid, hasn't already had Covid, and has no conditions that would make it risky to take the vaccine, on should consider taking the vaccine.
Otherwise, if one is low risk, has already had Covid or has a condition making the vaccine risky, one does not need to consider taking the vaccine.
If you want to deny facts, that's up to you, but in the mean time, >700,000 have died FROM Covid in the US alone. If you do get Covid, you have a 1 in 100 chance of dying from it, and a much greater risk of hospitalization, which cost on average of over $35,000. As long as you are willing to pay that cost out of you own pocket, and also ignore all the other risks, all I can say is, good luck.

btw, falling is not contagious. Covid is. And trying to conflate Covid with falling, or drinking soda, or kinky sex, or bicycle accidents or any other cause of death is meaningless. We, as a society and as individuals, take necessary and reasonable steps to attenuate those risks, and getting a couple of jabs is hardly a giant hardship.

Grow up.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Your lack of understanding is on you. Health care professionals see it as not only logical but necessary.
That it is, I tend to question things that don't logically make sense.

And thousands of Health care professionals are quitting their jobs due to these mandates, so not all think it's logical.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:

If you want to deny facts, that's up to you, but in the mean time, >700,000 have died FROM Covid in the US alone. If you do get Covid, you have a 1 in 100 chance of dying from it, and a much greater risk of hospitalization, which cost on average of over $35,000. As long as you are willing to pay that cost out of you own pocket, and also ignore all the other risks, all I can say is, good luck.

btw, falling is not contagious. Covid is. And trying to conflate Covid with falling, or drinking soda, or kinky sex, or bicycle accidents or any other cause of death is meaningless. We, as a society and as individuals, take necessary and reasonable steps to attenuate those risks, and getting a couple of jabs is hardly a giant hardship.

Grow up.
Baa Baa Baa

Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:
Your lack of understanding is on you.

First this going to be my final response to your now obvious attempted trolling me on this matter.

Yes, it certainly is on me because things need to make logical and reasonable sense to me before I will not question them. I'm ready to compare my credentials(that include getting in and going to a top10 private school in the US) to most of those on this forum as its clear Id stomp most(no "not all", but most) of them. You try to compare apples to oranges on like every single post. I hope you wear a hard hat before going outside instead of living in fear. covid isn't the only thing that kill you. The rest of your nonsense isnt worthy of a response.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:18 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I find this rather ironic. I am a bit frustrated about some of the shortages. At the same time, I think about this. Up until the Covid-19 shutdowns, there were people talking about "robots are going to replace those burger flippers" or "robots are going to replace those low level workers". Now, we have a worker shortage and people are complaining. It's sad. People who flip burgers or work in food service get looked down on for wanting better for themselves.

It is a case where many people decide not to work certain jobs at their own volition. Robots replacing people in certain industries is something that several people have hoped for. The idea being "you'll work at OUR command, not yours".

Could there be a laziness factor going on? I'm not going to discount that, because it's there. On the other hand, it's not the only thing going on. There is more going on than meets the eye. It isn't just the "laziness". It's also individuals who no longer want to work in certain industries. It's about individuals retiring. It's about individuals moving on to other industries. It's about some people doing their own thing in order to make money. Saying "people are just living off the government and they're lazy" is too simplistic, and it doesn't paint the entire picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies