Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 09:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Have you hired any? I have and they are extremely lazy and afraid to get dirty.
Hired them to do what?
And how do you treat them?

I know 20 something working in a restaurant and being shafted by their employer.

They can't keep good staff because they treat their staff poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 09:33 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Its a designed attack on the middle class and small businesses. A followup on the lockdowns of last year which hammered the middle class. Force vaccinations, people quit or have to be fired when they refuse. Have the big box stores raise their starting pay and small businesses can't compete for employees. One local pizza place has closed from lack of staff.
And the Biden inflation increase eats up the pay of many who are then forced to take the higher paying Wal Mart and Amazon jobs just to keep food on the table.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:47 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hired them to do what?

I know 20 something working in a restaurant and being shafted by their employer.

What you describe is the system working as it should. When employers don't treat their employees right, they go work somewhere else. Maybe your friends are too lazy to do this or something. Maybe they are convicts. Who knows. It's none of my business or interest. But I do know there are more opportunities than ever for quality people to seek quality opportunities. That's one of the features about capitalism that I like the most. Businesses that waste people's time or treat people poorly tend not to hang around for very long.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:53 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I go past Cold Stone Creamery and everyday they close far too early and there's a sign on the door saying "Not enough workers, closed early!" I was just shopping at New Balance and there out of stock of so many sneakers. I asked why and a staff member said there's a worker shortage. So many stores have a "Now hiring" signs. Why is there such a big labor shortage in America?
From what I have seen and heard locally, the businesses are being as picky as they ever were. Don't know about anywhere else, of course.

I got really ticked at this one store. The woman was going on about how people don't want to work, but when I put in an application there during a supposed open interview I was told that the manager was too busy to interview me and run off with the lie that someone would call me. That showed me that they were liars. They can't be trusted.

Of course now I cannot completely fill out an application since I have no references. The ones I was still using back then have since left and I have no one to put down. Few years ago they were still there. My attempt at an application will forever result in it being thrown in the trash for being incomplete.

But I have spoken to other people who have had trouble finding a job. The employers are being very picky. If you ever had trouble finding a job before you will still have trouble.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Spent time in Ky and Tn this past June.

The short staffing in low wage positions was obvious.

Went for an early dinner at TGIF in Gatlinburg and we’re seated on the patio which provides a birds eye view of the characters on the street. Got our drink orders and placed our dinner order and waited.

In the meantime, watched a guy paint his dog’s nails outside on a bench. Eventually the waitress returned to tell us the entire kitchen staff had just walked out and then proceeded to tell us, she too quit. As a tipped worker, she is paid $2.13/ hr. and relying on tourists for tips was not good.

Despite a low state minimum wage there was a wage war amongst the hundreds of restaurants and tourist attractions. She expected to be employed elsewhere the same day.

We eventually left and walked through the restaurant’s interior. There was no one.

Joked about heading back to the kitchen to make our own dinner.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What you describe is the system working as it should. When employers don't treat their employees right, they go work somewhere else. Maybe your friends are too lazy to do this or something. Maybe they are convicts. Who knows. It's none of my business or interest. But I do know there are more opportunities than ever for quality people to seek quality opportunities. That's one of the features about capitalism that I like the most. Businesses that waste people's time or treat people poorly tend not to hang around for very long.

I agree with you -- you get what you put out -- so the employer I was referencing - -those kids moved on...for less money and better treatment.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:58 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hired them to do what?

Install flooring. If they will actually work, they can make $60-$80 an hour. But they might get dirty.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:04 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Install flooring. If they will actually work, they can make $60-$80 an hour. But they might get dirty.

Thats the other side of the coin. They want the money, but dont want to do actual work. Too much time playing video games and wasting away on the phone has spoiled them.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
33 states and DC have a higher Minimum Wage than the Federal. This includes red and blue states.

Big box and Amazon have been increasing starting wages, regardless of Federal and state minimum wages beginning in 2017.

Trump boasted about rising wages in 2019. Rapidly rising wages have consequences.

Minimum wage is my state rapidly increased from $9.25 to $ 10 to $11. Nonetheless, it is not enough to attract/ retain enough employees. Private employers typically have to pay $15+/ hr. starting wage.

Seems to me we are in a mixed cycle of both Cost- Push and Demand- Pull Inflation

Cost- Push inflation is caused by substantial increases in the cost of goods/ services when there are no substitutes. Wages are a huge component.

Demand- Pull inflation occurs when demand exceeds supply- persistent global shortages attributed to Covid.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Some of the responses in this specific thread, things I have seen on this site, as someone who has worked in customer service for years, it is very evident that many of you all don't deserve the best customer service. Most people do not understand how rude they are, and add to the fact all the anti-vaxers, anti-maskers in the mix. There are many reports that assaults and sexual harassment against service workers have gone up during the pandemic, add low pay and many service workers got COVID and even died from it. Many of these places are also not properly quarantining workers if somebody on the job gets COVID, they rush people back.

Don't even get me started on the management in these places as well. So it is no surprise these places cannot find enough people to put up with that crap, especially when many of these people found better careers or jobs that paid the same but were far less demanding. For years many people in this country thought and treated service workers as if they were disposable, laughing and joking they were going to replace them with robots. Now the chickens have come home to roost and many cannot take it!!
This X 1000!

Many, many people decided, after staying home for a while, that they didn’t need or want to put up with the crap anymore.
And who can blame them?

I sure don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies