Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 10:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The only issue with the map is the 6th will flip to D, in 4 years. All of my original owners or longtime owners in my area South Forsyth are all cashing in on housing prices, & moving somewhere cheaper. Almost all of them are retirees. The families moving in are coming from the coasts, mainly California I'm learning.
Even with all of the Democratic-leaning newcomers continuing to pour into the area from other parts of the country (including California, the Northeast and the Midwest), I don’t know if the newly-configured Georgia 6th Congressional District will flip back to Democratic control in as little as 4 years as there are still some pretty deeply conservative and Republican-leaning areas in the Northeast Cobb, West Roswell, Crabapple, Milton and North Forsyth parts of the district.

But I do agree that there does seem to be a good possibility that the continued population growth in this newly-redrawn version of the 6th Congressional District potentially could help Democrats regain competitiveness and possibly even control of the district before the next post-census mandated redistricting in 2031, if not possibly sometime before the end of the decade of the 2020’s.

It seems pretty natural that Georgia’s state government GOP majority would choose to flip the 6th Congressional District back to Republican control with the 2021 redistricting because of the role that the 6th district has played in the rise of the Republican Party to state, regional and national dominance during the last 2 decades of the 20th Century and the first 2 decades of the 21st Century.

Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich very notably represented the Georgia 6th Congressional District for 2 decades (from 1979 to 1999) while often playing a lead role in the ascendance of the GOP and the conservative movement here in Georgia, throughout the Sun Belt and nationally during that time.

Before turning noticeably in favor of the Democrats during the 2017 special election, the 6th district had been dominated (often increasingly) by Republican candidates and office holders for the better part of 4 decades (the 1980’s, 1990’s, 2000’s and 2010’s), so it seems natural that the GOP would want to retain control of the 6th district (while very reluctantly relinquishing control of the historically GOP-dominated 7th Congressional District) for as long as possible while they have control of the state’s redistricting process.

To many Republicans and conservatives, Georgia’s 6th Congressional District is the beachhead from which the Republican/conservative revolution of the late-20th and early 21st centuries sparked and spread like wildfire through Georgia and much of the U.S.

For many Republicans and conservatives, there is an emotional attachment to the 6th district that likely will motivate them to attempt to hold onto control of that particular congressional district for as long as they can while the Atlanta metropolitan area continues to experience rapid demographic changes that very likely will continue to make Democrats more competitive both in metro Atlanta and statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 08:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The families moving in are coming from the coasts, mainly California I'm learning.
Fleeing crime, high cost of living, and many other economic and social issues caused by policy choices made by elected politicians. So they flee California, New York, Massachusetts, etc., and they come to Georgia and vote for people who pledge to do the same things to Georgia that they did to the states they left.

I moved to GA in 2007 from Massachusetts when Deval Patrick was elected, because I'd had enough of nanny state liberals. But I came to Georgia because I saw that policies here were different, and I wanted to be part of a state that supported the values I support.

It's really bizarre that people leave states that have been ruined by Democrats, they move to states like Georgia and Texas, and then they vote for the same failed policies they fled.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:43 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Fleeing crime, high cost of living, and many other economic and social issues caused by policy choices made by elected politicians. So they flee California, New York, Massachusetts, etc., and they come to Georgia and vote for people who pledge to do the same things to Georgia that they did to the states they left.

I moved to GA in 2007 from Massachusetts when Deval Patrick was elected, because I'd had enough of nanny state liberals. But I came to Georgia because I saw that policies here were different, and I wanted to be part of a state that supported the values I support.

It's really bizarre that people leave states that have been ruined by Democrats, they move to states like Georgia and Texas, and then they vote for the same failed policies they fled.
You must not be following the job growth threads in this forum, Atlanta is adding more than 10k plus IT/engineering jobs every year. People are coming for the jobs, but the advantage of being able to pay cash for a $650k house along 400, from cashing out on the housing buddle on the coasts is also driving it.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

This reality is a bit distorted. It isn't always about Red vs. Blue as much as people try to make it.

The trend you're noticing is that of very high successful places in the past 100 years having high level economics, more high paying jobs, and being built out more and having higher expenses. It costs more to build a road, more to hire someone to repave a road, more expensive to hire a teach, etc... That is because the cost of living is much higher and you do not have a good quantity of lower paid labor being able to afford living there.

However, that is cause by the overwhelming economic success of those areas.

We benefit from that, and have grown strongly from that, because we have more room to grow. Things are cheaper here by virtue of the economic reality we live in. If we had more growth barriers, far more people living in the region, and had an economy like the northeast corridor or the west coast, then we too would suffer many of the cost problems they have. Of course, they can overcome those problems, because there is more money in those areas overall.

If we run into the conundrum where we have so many highly paid financial and tech workers in the region that someone who paves roads or teaches kids can't afford to live here on current salaries, we will face the same issues.

Inversely, companies are not moving from California is in a downfall. Hardly the case, they have more high paying jobs and an extremely strong GDP that most would be envious of. There is no downfall. What is happening is things are so expensive, because people and companies are having to compete for limited space and limited materials. They can't hold all of the companies without costs getting even more expensive, so we see the ones that choose to leave.

They are leaving from problems caused by success, not failure.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:18 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Newt's been out of office for over 20 years and the district has changed boundaries multiple times since then, so I'm not as convinced they care as much. It's probably more that in it would be harder for the GOP to keep the 7th compared to the 6th, and are conceding the latter to the Democrats.
Yes. Seems like they are making one safe Republican and one safe Democrat instead of maybe having 2 with a slight Democratic lean.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:22 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
This reality is a bit distorted. It isn't always about Red vs. Blue as much as people try to make it.

The trend you're noticing is that of very high successful places in the past 100 years having high level economics, more high paying jobs, and being built out more and having higher expenses. It costs more to build a road, more to hire someone to repave a road, more expensive to hire a teach, etc... That is because the cost of living is much higher and you do not have a good quantity of lower paid labor being able to afford living there.

However, that is cause by the overwhelming economic success of those areas.

We benefit from that, and have grown strongly from that, because we have more room to grow. Things are cheaper here by virtue of the economic reality we live in. If we had more growth barriers, far more people living in the region, and had an economy like the northeast corridor or the west coast, then we too would suffer many of the cost problems they have. Of course, they can overcome those problems, because there is more money in those areas overall.

If we run into the conundrum where we have so many highly paid financial and tech workers in the region that someone who paves roads or teaches kids can't afford to live here on current salaries, we will face the same issues.

Inversely, companies are not moving from California is in a downfall. Hardly the case, they have more high paying jobs and an extremely strong GDP that most would be envious of. There is no downfall. What is happening is things are so expensive, because people and companies are having to compete for limited space and limited materials. They can't hold all of the companies without costs getting even more expensive, so we see the ones that choose to leave.

They are leaving from problems caused by success, not failure.
California's housing pricing is self-inflicted. Same with New York. Same with Boston. Texas and Georgia remain relatively affordable despite much faster growth than those three.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:44 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
California's housing pricing is self-inflicted. Same with New York. Same with Boston. Texas and Georgia remain relatively affordable despite much faster growth than those three.
There are some things I don't like, same as here. In fact many of the self-infliction's are the same policy in each area.

Ultimately, the real cause is a supply and demand issue. They don't have as much land to build on as we do. They have even less when it is viewed on a per person basis.

The NYC area has about 25 million people in the same land area we have 6 million. There is a point where more can be added, but the cost of adding each additional residence is more expensive.

California faces some of the same issues.

We don't have near the population or physical growth barriers SoCal or the Bay Area has either.

It isn't about the rate of growth. It is about having few people over larger spaces and lack of physical barriers (ie, coast, mountains, bay, another major metro area, etc...)

Also, not all prices are housing. It is also the cost of added commuting infrastructure for these mega regions over. The added cost of building space for new companies, new offices, new warehouses. It is all more expensive.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:23 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
There are some things I don't like, same as here. In fact many of the self-infliction's are the same policy in each area.

Ultimately, the real cause is a supply and demand issue. They don't have as much land to build on as we do. They have even less when it is viewed on a per person basis.

The NYC area has about 25 million people in the same land area we have 6 million. There is a point where more can be added, but the cost of adding each additional residence is more expensive.

California faces some of the same issues.

We don't have near the population or physical growth barriers SoCal or the Bay Area has either.

It isn't about the rate of growth. It is about having few people over larger spaces and lack of physical barriers (ie, coast, mountains, bay, another major metro area, etc...)

Also, not all prices are housing. It is also the cost of added commuting infrastructure for these mega regions over. The added cost of building space for new companies, new offices, new warehouses. It is all more expensive.
I don't want to turn this into an urban development thread, but there are a lot of things those cities do that limit land availability and make construction more expensive.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:51 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Since the 2010 census, Georgia has gained a little over 1 million new residents, while losing 50,000 white non-Hispanics. To some degree, the same thing is happening in many states. Texas gained 4 million, with only 187,000 of them being non-Hispanic whites, or 5% of the growth. In Florida, it was 215,000 out of 2.7 million or 10%. In North Carolina, 88 thousand out of an increase of 900,000. 35 states have fewer white non-Hispanics in 2020 than in 2010.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...s_Table-B.xlsx

Gerrymandering against demographic population trends is a short-term strategy. It can work for awhile, but eventually to keep winning, your base has to mirror the current population, not what the population looked like in decades past. The Democrats were more diverse way back in 1996 than the GOP is now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...arty-is-today/

Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Despicable as always from the good-ol'-boys. Duluth would somehow be in the same district as Rabun County. The crucial 6th, currently under Democratic control, would be firmly Republican. Of course.
Democrats not only do the same thing, but they carve out minority-majority districts. The lines have always been skewed dating back to Elbridge Gerry (D).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies