Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:34 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If the woman said "Britain's genocide of the French people.", wouldn't that make her radar?

Wouldn't she say "Huh? What are you talking about?"?

There is no truth to either statement, so why is 1 lie accepted as "her truth", while the other lie would not be?
The British never deprived the French of their property or livelihood or their cultural traditions in Upper Canada, but only required them to pay tribute to the crown. "Genocide", along with "hate speech" and "racism", has expanded to encompass a great deal more than it means. It has a place in the language only for rare extremes. It is an abuse of free speech to use any of those words frivolously. It is still Free Speech, but it paints the speaker as an idiot and deflates her argument, which in fact is the great benefit of free speech.. It allows fools to identify themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 02:49 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Here's the thing. When people use the term "Free Speech", they are referring to The Constitution. You are referring to YouTube, Twitter, Private Colleges, Private companies, Private groups, censoring speech. You're redefining a commonly used phrase to meet your needs.

The right nor the left are not systematically (or otherwise) shutting down free speech as protected by The Constitution as you claim.
The colluding of the government with at least some of these sure does.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:10 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Funny thing is she will have idiot American Jews still voting for her.
Jewish people are very prosperous but just like Asian Americans, are politically blinded by the party that offers them the most free crap and pandering.

But the fact that both groups still vote for a party that despises them tells your how oblivious they can be.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:42 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I support freedom of speech so I would support this. However if the same person had said that gender is determined at birth, well they would have been cancel cultured.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:54 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The British never deprived the French of their property or livelihood or their cultural traditions in Upper Canada, but only required them to pay tribute to the crown. "Genocide", along with "hate speech" and "racism", has expanded to encompass a great deal more than it means. It has a place in the language only for rare extremes. It is an abuse of free speech to use any of those words frivolously. It is still Free Speech, but it paints the speaker as an idiot and deflates her argument, which in fact is the great benefit of free speech.. It allows fools to identify themselves.
I agree with most of this. But the watering down of the most meaningful words in our language is harmful to society.

I believe in that woman's right to say it, even if it is a lie.

What I disagree with, is our Vice President, not only accepting it, but encouraging it as "her truth".

That makes our Vice President either an imbecile or a horrible person, but probably a bit of both. She is not setting the kind of example a Vice President of the United States should set. And I am the first to admit that Trump didn't set a good example in many cases either, but people on the left cant complain about that, and then let stuff like this go unrecognized.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Free speech is not a protected right in private forums like YouTube or even here on CD for that matter.
You're cherry-picking, Burdell. There are other examples. What about those?

Old 10-09-2021, 09:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree with most of this. But the watering down of the most meaningful words in our language is harmful to society.

I believe in that woman's right to say it, even if it is a lie.

What I disagree with, is our Vice President, not only accepting it, but encouraging it as "her truth".

That makes our Vice President either an imbecile or a horrible person, but probably a bit of both. She is not setting the kind of example a Vice President of the United States should set. And I am the first to admit that Trump didn't set a good example in many cases either, but people on the left cant complain about that, and then let stuff like this go unrecognized.

She took the coward's way out. She tried not to offend the woman, while trying to remove herself from what was said.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're cherry-picking, Burdell. There are other examples. What about those?
Glve us one of the "other examples". Everybody has the right to "abridge free speeh" EXCEPT Congress.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:36 AM

Would anyone like to subscribe to my site, "How to ask thread-ending questions"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies