Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 03:18 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,154,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
If food wasn't taxed, I'd be golden.
As I understand it, groceries, excluding soda and candy, are not taxed in most states.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:18 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Would You Be In Favor Of Doing Away With The Income Tax And Replacing It With A Consumption Tax
If you're going to tax, this is the way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
As I understand it, groceries, excluding soda and candy, are not taxed in most states.
Only raw foods, from my experience. If it's packaged, or pre-made, it's going to be taxed. Raw meat, raw veggies, raw fruit, not taxed.

Leave the food as it is, and the consumption tax is far more fair than any other tax plan, even to the poor.

Or...the government could stop treating us like their mom's purse in the closet.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:17 PM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you believe it would be fairer than our current system where everyone pays their “fair share’ as the left likes to say!
Consumption taxes always hit the lower and middle class harder. Nothing fair about it.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:53 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you believe it would be fairer than our current system where everyone pays their “fair share’ as the left likes to say!
No, everyone does not pay their fair share. Proportionately for their earnings and wealth, under our current system HERNYs (High Earners, Not Rich Yet) have the greatest tax burden. However, consumption tax is not a great idea because it disproportionately impacts those at the lower end of the income range.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:03 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, everyone does not pay their fair share. Proportionately for their earnings and wealth, under our current system HERNYs (High Earners, Not Rich Yet) have the greatest tax burden. However, consumption tax is not a great idea because it disproportionately impacts those at the lower end of the income range.

So I'm watching this video from a former amazon warehouse employee who was there 3 years... he basically says the young people sluff off, the old people are incapable of working fast, they hire anyone, so if they see you are willing and able to work they will stick you with more work and you'll often be doing multiple times as much work as some of the people hired there.

Reminded me of the saying about the top and bottom sucking from the middle... the lazy and incapable in society suck from the hard workers (the suckers) Not only do the middle to upper middle class pay the highest percentage of their total income towards taxes, many of them work the hardest only to see more of their money taken away. Of course nobody forces people to work at really hard jobs and stay in an unfair work environment that destroys your body. I wouldn't allow myself to be taken advantage of like that, and I have no desire to be a supervisor so I wouldn't be a good fit there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytZ8_6ieoI

Old 10-01-2021, 07:19 PM

25,459 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I thought so. In that case, I definitely would be golden, lol. I am an ad agency's worst nightmare.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:31 PM

1,839 posts, read 678,287 times
I'm not for doing away with the income tax. A lot of very high income earners have their salaries at record highs with the tax factored in.

Also, a consumption tax would be regressive. We already have inflation that is starting to pressure majority of the middle and lower class.

In NJ, soda and candy, along with prepared food are taxed.

But, potato chips and ice cream aren't taxed. so, a Cracker Jack box would be taxed because it is viewed as candy, even both chips and caramelized popcorn are both junk food snacks, but junk food isn't evaluated, just if it's candy or not.

In PA for most of the state, soda is exempt. Philly started a soda tax and the poor disliked it, that they drive to another county to get soda without a tax.

Even though I believe in more consumption tax on junk food items, the tax basically backfired as it is viewed as unpopular.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:44 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
No. Most of the harms done to people by one another are in pursuit of wealth. It needs to be disincentivized. Increase marginal rates and close all loopholes.

and before you say “but what about innovation?” I call BS to that argument. Most wealthy Americans make their money through BS products that don’t improve well being and end up in a landfill or through rent seeking activities. Most of which we can do without.

Don’t believe me? That’s fine, just step back and think. Even on the screen you are looking at to read this. How much of this tech is truly lengthening your lifespan? Or is it just giving you more busywork?

Last edited by odinloki1; 10-01-2021 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 07:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,689 times
You'll find that people who are against this are communist zealots.

And yes this is the best form of taxation. But the tax code is intentionally opaque to allow the rich their loopholes and to pilfer the money from the middle class.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
good luck getting liberals to agree to this. they'll start whining about the poor people they hate. how can liberals levy brutal taxes on the poor if they only tax them on what they buy? the liberal love of brutal taxes on the poor is like peas and carrots.
So, don't tax food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.