Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 06:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
that's what I get from it. In essence ...

Covid has far worse outcomes for > 65 than any other group, except possibly the truly immune-compromised (organ transplant, recent cancer, serious AI disorders)

> 65 have weaker immunity generally

All > 65 should get a booster NOW since eligible

and should they test positive AND be symptomatic, go straight for the monoclonal antibodies
Well said…and this is all part of the process of learning how best to deal with this virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 07:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Covid has far worse outcomes for > 65 than any other group, except possibly the truly immune-compromised (organ transplant, recent cancer, serious AI disorders)

and should they test positive AND be symptomatic, go straight for the monoclonal antibodies
Seems so.

Right now, the global demand for monoclonal antibodies is substantially greater than supply. The cost is in the $2500 range.

Some states, mostly the least vaccinated, were using Federal monies to order the antibody treatments from the manufacturer and reporting usage to the Federal Government. Some states were dosing anyone who tested positive with the antibodies for the ask. More than half of the doses were unaccounted for - a combination of stockpiling and failure to timely report usage.

Because Federal monies were being used, HHS imposed itself into the process to ensure a fairer distribution across all states. Gov DeSantis was none to pleased.

The Merck Covid antiviral pill to reduce severe Covid is the first to seek emergency approval. It does not require the creation and maintenance of injection sites as does the antibody treatment. And it’s not going to cost the federal government $2500/ dose.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:12 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
On September 24th, while talking with my 83 year old mother, I noticed by the sound of her voice she was sick. She complained about experiencing a sore throat, and feeling 'funny.' So the 25th I called and checked on her. Her condition deteriorated so I booked a last minute flight that day from Miami to Detroit.

When I arrived, she was incredibly weak, and had a fever (103F). She was complaining of extreme back and neck pain and was semi delirious. I knew right away it was COVID.

I took her to an urgent care clinic, where they tested me and her. Sure enough she was +, I was negative. I was told to self isolate and test again after 5 days.

The doctor sent her home with antibiotics, advil, aspirin, steroids, and a pulse oximeter. She was offered the option of going to the ER for hospitalization, I declined it.

Antibiotics btw are a terrible thing to give someone with a viral infection right away as they weaken the immune system. I wonder if anyone did studies on the efficacy of antibiotics on Covid outcome when given on day 1. I forbade my mother from taking them until day 5.

I also had a lot of Ivermectin from my trip in Brazil (there you can buy it in a pharmacy without prescription, should be the same way here, it's safer than Aspirin). I gave her 48mg per day, + I acquired a 100,000 IU 5ml vial of Vitamin D dissolved in sesame oil from a friend whose an Osteopath. I gave her a 1mL injection (20,000 IU) injection. Vitamin D3 as bought in most vitamin shops, requires two chemical processes to be converted to Vitamin D and requires both the liver and the kidneys to be function properly. Taking Vitamin D3 while sick will do nothing, however if you begin taking it daily for months, you may slowly increase your Vitamin D levels.

I also tracked down a monoclonal antibody clinic that could treat her the same day. There were many options but many were closed and/or had no availability on the weekends. It took a lot of calling, and pleading. They gave her a treatment of Regen-CoV that afternoon.

My mother just turned 83 years old, otherwise is healthy and normal weight (she still does Yoga). She was fully vaccinated as of sometime in April 2021 with Pfizer.

On Wednesday Sep 29 I flew back to Europe and Sep 30th tested myself again with a rapid antigen test. Negative. I'm 54 and unvaccinated.
Hopefully your mom is on the road to recovery.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:

Many people don't even know monoclonal antibody treatment exists. I volunteer at a VA hospital, first hand experience has told me that 9 out of 10 people have never heard of this treatment. Many are older vets who have or haven't gotten the vaccination.

This is why I think the treatment should be pushed as hard as the vaccination. It's not either or, it's both.

Plus, I 100 percent believe the vaccination has given many people a false sense of security. But this is another subject.

One thing annoys me to no end is that as soon as one mentions antibody treatments, there are people start their argument about how vaccination is so much better. They need to realize that there will always be people who won't get the vaccine, there are also people who won't seek medical treatment until it's too late. This is the exact reason why telling them antibody treatment and how it works is important.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:32 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems so.

Right now, the global demand for monoclonal antibodies is substantially greater than supply. The cost is in the $2500 range.

Some states, mostly the least vaccinated, were using Federal monies to order the antibody treatments from the manufacturer and reporting usage to the Federal Government. Some states were dosing anyone who tested positive with the antibodies for the ask. More than half of the doses were unaccounted for - a combination of stockpiling and failure to timely report usage.

Because Federal monies were being used, HHS imposed itself into the process to ensure a fairer distribution across all states. Gov DeSantis was none to pleased.

The Merck Covid antiviral pill to reduce severe Covid is the first to seek emergency approval. It does not require the creation and maintenance of injection sites as does the antibody treatment. And it’s not going to cost the federal government $2500/ dose.
the federal govt paid billions to pfizer and moderna to develop these questionable vaccines. are you complaining cause antibodies were used to treat unvaccinated people and the feds were paying for it?

Old 10-03-2021, 07:34 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many people don't even know monoclonal antibody treatment exists. I volunteer at a VA hospital, first hand experience has told me that 9 out of 10 people have never heard of this treatment. Many are older vets who have or haven't gotten the vaccination.

This is why I think the treatment should be pushed as hard as the vaccination. It's not either or, it's both.

Plus, I 100 percent believe the vaccination has given many people a false sense of security. But this is another subject.
not only has vaccination given many people a false sense of security, but its also given many a real attitude problem, judgmental of others to put it mildly.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:36 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
On September 24th, while talking with my 83 year old mother, I noticed by the sound of her voice she was sick. She complained about experiencing a sore throat, and feeling 'funny.' So the 25th I called and checked on her. Her condition deteriorated so I booked a last minute flight that day from Miami to Detroit.

When I arrived, she was incredibly weak, and had a fever (103F). She was complaining of extreme back and neck pain and was semi delirious. I knew right away it was COVID.

I took her to an urgent care clinic, where they tested me and her. Sure enough she was +, I was negative. I was told to self isolate and test again after 5 days.

The doctor sent her home with antibiotics, advil, aspirin, steroids, and a pulse oximeter. She was offered the option of going to the ER for hospitalization, I declined it.

Antibiotics btw are a terrible thing to give someone with a viral infection right away as they weaken the immune system. I wonder if anyone did studies on the efficacy of antibiotics on Covid outcome when given on day 1. I forbade my mother from taking them until day 5.

I also had a lot of Ivermectin from my trip in Brazil (there you can buy it in a pharmacy without prescription, should be the same way here, it's safer than Aspirin). I gave her 48mg per day, + I acquired a 100,000 IU 5ml vial of Vitamin D dissolved in sesame oil from a friend whose an Osteopath. I gave her a 1mL injection (20,000 IU) injection. Vitamin D3 as bought in most vitamin shops, requires two chemical processes to be converted to Vitamin D and requires both the liver and the kidneys to be function properly. Taking Vitamin D3 while sick will do nothing, however if you begin taking it daily for months, you may slowly increase your Vitamin D levels.

I also tracked down a monoclonal antibody clinic that could treat her the same day. There were many options but many were closed and/or had no availability on the weekends. It took a lot of calling, and pleading. They gave her a treatment of Regen-CoV that afternoon.

My mother just turned 83 years old, otherwise is healthy and normal weight (she still does Yoga). She was fully vaccinated as of sometime in April 2021 with Pfizer.

On Wednesday Sep 29 I flew back to Europe and Sep 30th tested myself again with a rapid antigen test. Negative. I'm 54 and unvaccinated.
That is why they are recommending a booster 6 months after second shot.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:40 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Break through cases are pretty much a common thing. My second shot (Moderna) was a little over 3 weeks ago, and i contracted Covid last Monday.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:41 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
not only has vaccination given many people a false sense of security, but its also given many a real attitude problem, judgmental of others to put it mildly.
Yes I agree. The false sense of security and the attitude certainly won't help the situation.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:42 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So why trash the vaccine here? It's been pretty clear that the elderly and immunocompromised don't mount the same robust antibodies from the vaccine as the rest of the population. The 83 y/o here probably *never* had a great immune response; hence, for the elderly and immunocompromised, the third shot is called a shot and not a booster and has been recommended since before the FDA third-shot/booster approval.

Even with low antibody response or waning antibodies, the vaccine is still being shown to protect against serious illness that requires hospitalizaton and death. It seems that the 83 y/o mother here fell right into that category initially and with the added after-illness treatments, that brought her negative odds closer to zero.

OP, it sounds to me like you expected 100% illness protection for your mother from this vaccine. We've known for months that this is not the case, so I'm surprised that YOU seem surprised by this. It would have great if the vaccine has the properties of a measles vaccines and I think we all hoped for that, but sadly not the case.

I believe the data is still showing decent protection against severe illness and death. Not perfect. I guess some people's mind work in an ALL or NOTHING way and they don't like anything in between.
Exactly. The vaccines were never promoted as 100% effective. Hospitalization statistics show the vaccine is doing as expected. The overwhelming majority of hospitalized are unvaccinated. These individual stories don’t change the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies