Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 05:13 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Today will be a test as to what's short at the Walmart where I am.
I do pick up and the process has changed a bit so, as a test, I selected that the store may substitute every item on my list.
Now to wait and see how many and what items they are.
Not too bad, out of 36 items...the kind of coffee I use and a particular bread offered substitutes, the coffee not being acceptable. Clementine oranges and one kind of cookie did not even offer a substitution so simply unavailable.
Coffee wasn't a surprise since that's been hit and miss with the drought in Brazil.
6 kinds of meat with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 06:07 AM

2,106 posts, read 971,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, that's what was said at the Dollar Tree. It's crazy. I stocked more shelves at Walmart years ago and it wouldn't take much time to stock their shelves. There were a lot more shelves at Walmart and it was done in a few hours. The shelves at the DT have not been stocked in months. The empty spots are in the same places.
Dollar tree stock isn’t rotated , they don’t have time to stock the shelves let alone rotate , best grab what’s in front first , frozen items thaw out while trucks getting unloaded , then put in freezers to refreeze . Dollar General and dollar tree , two different stores, dollar general have always had different prices , dollar tree , every item was $1 dollar .

Old 10-05-2021, 06:13 AM

29,182 posts, read 14,465,656 times
There isn't a shortage, it's just all waiting to be offloaded and distributed. That is what happens when there is a lull in shipping, then all at once things start shipping again.

Ignore the annoying commentary but here are where all the products are. And other ports are starting to back up as well. I think he counted 97 ships at the time of the video.

https://youtu.be/PGTDGhllH8E

Old 10-05-2021, 06:26 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Container ships waiting to be off loaded at the Port of Baltimore were lined up in the Chesapeake down to Annapolis on Saturday.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 AM

42,661 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Container ships waiting to be off loaded at the Port of Baltimore were lined up in the Chesapeake down to Annapolis on Saturday.
They are also filling up Puget Sound on the west coast.

This all started in January when an MSM article noted "38 ships" floating off the west coast.
In normal times you'd see a max of 5.

Now we're up to 157 off the CA coast.

The Longshoremen union just agreed to go to 3 shifts but only if all the empties are taken off the docks first.
Here's the problem with that....the truckers that take the empties have their lots full of previous empties that they could not bring back to the docs because the ships weren't emptied of full containers.

AND...there is little to no automation on the docks because.....the union fears it will lead to job loss.

So this is a mess of our own making and I think refusal to automate is part of it.
And we want to "bring mfg back to the US" ? Really ? Only to have exports sitting on the docks for months ?

Now China has 6 of the busiest ports in the world. They invested and are automated.
Qingdao is fully automated using 5G and AI. It can maintain its volume 24/7.
It's all part of China's Belt and Road initiative.
https://www.porttechnology.org/news/...tomated_ports/

Rotterdam is fully automated as well.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/rott...ips-automation

Old 10-05-2021, 07:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 4,390,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Start making the stuff here, and we wont need to be waiting on these ships. So its costs more. When you were a kid, your family may have done without something because it cost too much. You lived through that. Our gov. has sold us out. I saw on the news. Dollar Tree, everything wont be $1 anymore. Some items will be $1.25 to $1.50.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 AM

62,726 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
There isn't a shortage, it's just all waiting to be offloaded and distributed. That is what happens when there is a lull in shipping, then all at once things start shipping again.

Ignore the annoying commentary but here are where all the products are. And other ports are starting to back up as well. I think he counted 97 ships at the time of the video.

https://youtu.be/PGTDGhllH8E
True. I ordered a piece of furniture two weeks ago and I was told I wouldn't get it for over a month because of the ships waiting to off load on our shores.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:03 AM

29,182 posts, read 14,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
True. I ordered a piece of furniture two weeks ago and I was told I wouldn't get it for over a month because of the ships waiting to off load on our shores.
A month ? Consider yourself lucky. My Mom was told 6 months on furniture. It took us 6 months to get our dishwasher.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:59 AM

14,175 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Right and a year into Trumps term it was but Obama..

And a year into Obama's term it was but Bush...
You do know the election in 2016 was between Trump and Hillary, right?

Unlike Trump, Obama finished his terms whereas Trump was fired/not re-elected thanks to you lefty. Yet, almost a year into firing Trump and all i'm hearing is "but but but Trump"

Is that easier for you to understand now?

Old 10-05-2021, 09:04 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Start making the stuff here, and we wont need to be waiting on these ships. So its costs more. When you were a kid, your family may have done without something because it cost too much. You lived through that. Our gov. has sold us out. I saw on the news. Dollar Tree, everything wont be $1 anymore. Some items will be $1.25 to $1.50.

I don't disagree on bringing manufacturing back to the US, but I hate to tell you, not much of anything has been $1 at the Dollar store in a long time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies