Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 12:00 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I must have missed that news flash or am just smarter than most

I never operate or have operated under the assumption that by being vaccinated, I am not going to get Covid or get sick. My assumption has always been that if and when I get it, being vaccinated will help MITIGATE the symptoms that I may experience. Please tell me there are more out there that got this message??
The public messaging at the beginning was that if enough got vaccinated we could END the pandemic. Just last week, my daughter was a captive audience to a vaccine zealot professor who lectured the class about how vaccination can END the pandemic, and the unvaccinated are prolonging it. Not everyone got the message, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 12:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That has nothing to do with what's going on in Massachusetts right now even though everywhere is under a mask mandate. I won't ask you to address that, because I know you can't.
Of course it is relative.

The mask mandates noted were reintroduced as the cases were going up -- at that point the spread was happening.

And given what is going on all over the country -- while MA has seen a spike in cases from last year at this time, the surge this time didn't even come close to December/January surge.

you are comparing this delta surge numbers to a time when there was no surge.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:07 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The only viable answer:

Someone bused a load of red neck anti-vaxxer Trump voters up there from conservative states that have no mandates and let them spread covid to the residents.

That's the only reasonable answer here right ?
Kind of like the gun laws too! Trump deplorable states around Chicago are why there is gun crime there!

Old 10-04-2021, 01:01 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That has nothing to do with what's going on in Massachusetts right now even though everywhere is under a mask mandate. I won't ask you to address that, because I know you can't.
Not everywhere in Massachusetts has a mask mandate. You listed less than 25 places, there are 351 cities and towns here and most do not have any mandates.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:49 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Not everywhere in Massachusetts has a mask mandate. You listed less than 25 places, there are 351 cities and towns here and most do not have any mandates.
I just got off the phone with a friend in MA and he mentioned getting checked for being vaccinated at the door when he went to CVS. If they've been vaccinated they don't need a mask. I don't think they need masks everywhere either.

Here in neighboring CT our positivity rate is even lower than in MA, almost 80% vaccinated, and I see a lot of people wearing masks in the stores. If you wear a decent mask (not a single piece of cloth) it helps, if you double mask with a surgical mask + a decent layered cotton mask, the odds are better. I think Delta is raising its ugly head in our area and it may get worse because kids are back, colleges are back. But I bet it doesn't get as bad as it did in some of the states that don't do anything to try to stop it.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:01 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Yeah and 70% vax rate would do the trick. Hands down. Magic number.
Now we need 98%? This is really getting into bizzaro twilight zone territory.
By next year I don’t know how we’ll be able to get to 105%.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jJpo4nnt View Post
Im glad I dont live anywher near MASS in_newengland....... Thankfully they dont check here!!

They sadly lied to get people to take this crap!!
They didn't lie. They probably did as well as they could to get something out to us asap. As I am at high risk due to age, I am thankful that people are being careful around here.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:23 PM

In our community mask wearing has returned with a vengeance -- not mandated...but in the grocery stores more than half the people are masked.

I practice social distancing. I don't get near anybody......and don't wear a mask.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah and 70% vax rate would do the trick. Hands down. Magic number.
Now we need 98%? This is really getting into bizzaro twilight zone territory.
By next year I don’t know how we’ll be able to get to 105%.
Thing is, they do not know.

They are going on what evidence they have and then some idiotic variant comes along and it's a game changer. It's impossible to predict when things keep changing. Also, it depends upon who you are listening to. From what I've been reading, they are thinking it will mostly have run its course by spring UNLESS something unexpected comes along.

Even if it gets a lot better by spring, they say it will not be normal. People will still be getting covid BUT they do not expect any more serious surges AND they are finally coming out with pills to treat it. So treatments are improving and I read that eventually this will be like getting the flu or a bad cold. We will just deal with it but probably not many hospitalizations and deaths. Again, no one really knows 100% certain. Any of us know more than they do? I don't think so.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:25 PM

I'm hearing pretty optimistic predictions that Covid will still linger but not be as serious as Delta variant and the more that are vaccinated the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies