Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of President Jimmy Carter?
I'm a Democrat and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 9 12.33%
I'm a Democrat and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 5 6.85%
I'm a Democrat and think he was awful. 11 15.07%
I'm a Republican and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 6 8.22%
I'm a Republican and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 12 16.44%
I'm a Republican and think he was awful. 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 09:41 PM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Very good honest man, very bad president.

to his wife. We need a good poker player at the presidency not Leave it to Beaver geek. He should have mop the floor with Iran and the Arabs with the oil prices and set an example for the rest of the thugs around the world instead of playing Gandhi and looking weak. Why have power if you refuse to use it at our expense?

Old 10-23-2021, 09:45 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I was watching a documentary on Jimmy Carter, who I always thought was under-rated, and glad to see that he's now getting more respect while he's still alive. I always thought his situation illustrates America's hypocrisy - people say they want someone honest, truthful, down-to-earth, but although he led the pack with that, people didn't want him for a second term. I've always thought that, in part, he was a victim of Republican low-level "gotcha" attacks - like mocking him for totally irrelevant things like wearing a cardigan or for the encounter with a swamp rabbit.

What is your current opinion of Carter? This can't be exact for everyone, but please pick the answer that's closest to you.
Great guy.
Awful president.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:32 AM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
He is looking pretty pretty good right now.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:55 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
No, he wasn’t a good president, he wasn’t a bad man, but was in over his head.
I agree with this^

I wasn't old enough to vote at the time but everyone of age in my family voted for him. As a kid I thought he was great, because of course all Democrats are great and all Republicans are bad when you are raised in a Democrat household He was ineffectual at worse and in over his head at besy

Old 10-24-2021, 04:46 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
He's a good Humanitarian but a poor President...

Old 10-24-2021, 05:07 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I always liked Carter, voted for him for President, but he was a historically terrible President but fortunately for him, Biden is making him look like a genius. I still respect Jimmy and like and met him personally once but he was just not a good President. Trump is an arrogant ass that was a 1000 times smarter and effective President than Carter.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:16 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Terrible, demoralizing presidency.. but he has done some noble (post presidency) humanitarian work.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I was watching a documentary on Jimmy Carter, who I always thought was under-rated, and glad to see that he's now getting more respect while he's still alive. I always thought his situation illustrates America's hypocrisy - people say they want someone honest, truthful, down-to-earth, but although he led the pack with that, people didn't want him for a second term. I've always thought that, in part, he was a victim of Republican low-level "gotcha" attacks - like mocking him for totally irrelevant things like wearing a cardigan or for the encounter with a swamp rabbit.

What is your current opinion of Carter? This can't be exact for everyone, but please pick the answer that's closest to you.
He was a wonderful man, horrible president. The truth was his good character was the very thing that made him ill equipped to be president. Those who study these things often say those we consider great national level leaders, along with military leaders, share many personality traits with psychopaths. If you think about it, it does make sense. Could you knowingly order 10,000 you men to almost certain death? Could you send a drone to bomb a man, understanding innocent people may be there? Could you live with the guilt of accidentally authorizing drone strike that killed 10 innocent people, including seven children? I couldn’t. Most people couldn’t. Carter’s moral compass was better aligned with mine than Bill Clinton, who was a very effective Democratic president.

But, in the end, one of his greater flaws was that the people surrounding him controlled him instead of the other way around. Unfortunately, some of those people were not very good at their jobs. This is being seen on repeat before our very eyes right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I always liked Carter, voted for him for President, but he was a historically terrible President but fortunately for him, Biden is making him look like a genius. I still respect Jimmy and like and met him personally once but he was just not a good President. Trump is an arrogant ass that was a 1000 times smarter and effective President than Carter.
Sums it up perfectly.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:37 AM

4,546 posts, read 2,269,608 times
I used to think he was the worst and then someone came along and earned the true #1 spot.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:37 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Terrible, demoralizing presidency.. but he has done some noble (post presidency) humanitarian work.
Great point that despite failing as President, he helped many with his humanitarian work and seems like a dedicated family man with solid values so hard to knock the man, just his Presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies