Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 05:19 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Maybe they should look to what other cities are doing.

Regarding the bold, take your idiotic assumptions elsewhere.
Other cities are doing this. Are you that unaware of what’s going on across the country or just gaslighting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medssd View Post
So you can call up and say "Help im being Robbed" and they wont respond??

Thats total Rubbish!!
Yes, they will respond if the criminal is on the scene when you call. That's the whole "life threatening" thing.

But if you come home and discover your bike has been stolen, no they won't respond (allegedly) with a uniformed armed cop, and you have to call the nonemergency City number to file the police report.

This disequilibrium won't last. Nov. 2 Austin is up for a vote that will reinstate the police budget (I guess, it's not all that clear cut). This is a play by the Police Department to make known their staff shortages and push the public to act on their behalf. Which is fine.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:59 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
More reason to own a firearm

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I wish people would just stop with the “you voted for this so live with it” attitude. Not everyone voted for it, and at least half of the ones who did vote for it are naive fools who don’t even understand where their party is right now or what defunding police will do.

There is also the dark money people like George Soros spent on district attorney races throughout the country in 2018, where idiot defund the police activists got elected and now refuse to keep people in jail that need to be there. Many of them put out announcements upon winning election stating what crimes they would no longer prosecute, which is essentially an invitation to crime.

Remember that Democrats. This is what YOU voted for!
Are you aware of the lawsuit filed and won in Harris county regarding bail?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:19 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, they will respond if the criminal is on the scene when you call. That's the whole "life threatening" thing.

But if you come home and discover your bike has been stolen, no they won't respond (allegedly) with a uniformed armed cop, and you have to call the nonemergency City number to file the police report.

This disequilibrium won't last. Nov. 2 Austin is up for a vote that will reinstate the police budget (I guess, it's not all that clear cut). This is a play by the Police Department to make known their staff shortages and push the public to act on their behalf. Which is fine.
"Excuse me. Before you take my wallet, let me give APD a quick call while you're here"

Yeah Clara, I can see that will work out just stupendously.

So you think this is really faux outrage being pushed by the cops ?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
"Excuse me. Before you take my wallet, let me give APD a quick call while you're here"

Yeah Clara, I can see that will work out just stupendously.

So you think this is really faux outrage being pushed by the cops ?
Actually, people call police all the time if they think someone is breaking into their home, or they witness someone being robbed, etc. A crime in progress will still get uniformed armed cops on the scene.

And no, I don't think this is faux outrage at all, and am surprised you got that from my posts about this situation.

This is a tool APD has, to force the public's hand in re-enstating cadet classes and full funding. It's not a "faux" tool, and I support them completely. Checkmate, Austin City Council. You want to defund the police, take this.

I've lived in Austin 35 years, and loved the "Keep Austin Weird" vibe. But this city council is just out of touch with reality. Weird is good. Destructive is not.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:23 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Austin is the most liberal city in all of Texas:

Austin Police no longer responding to ‘non-life threatening’ 911 calls
https://smcorridornews.com/austin-po...ing-911-calls/

This seems to be a growing trend among liberal cities.
Police will no longer respond to any minor crimes, only violent crimes.

So drug dealers, shop lifters, thieves, robbers, car thefts, purse snatchers, peeping toms, burglars, etc. Police won't respond to any of this unless there is violence.

Do Democrats actually support this? You guys are totally fine with these new rules?
Isn’t that because of the defund the police? I wonder if it’s because not enough officers

Old 10-05-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Isn’t that because of the defund the police? I wonder if it’s because not enough officers
It's exactly because there's not enough officers. We no longer have the luxury of having officers go to homes where they think they might have seen someone a little odd walking around the neighborhood a couple hours ago, and have to prioritize crimes in progress and felonies that need to be investigated quickly.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, people call police all the time if they think someone is breaking into their home, or they witness someone being robbed, etc. A crime in progress will still get uniformed armed cops on the scene.

And no, I don't think this is faux outrage at all, and am surprised you got that from my posts about this situation.

This is a tool APD has, to force the public's hand in re-enstating cadet classes and full funding. It's not a "faux" tool, and I support them completely. Checkmate, Austin City Council. You want to defund the police, take this.

I've lived in Austin 35 years, and loved the "Keep Austin Weird" vibe. But this city council is just out of touch with reality. Weird is good. Destructive is not.
My brother use to be a police officer and yes they answered calls for someone breaking in. Our business was broken into and the police were notified that our alarm was going off and caught the person who was still in the building when they got there.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
It's exactly because there's not enough officers. We no longer have the luxury of having officers go to homes where they think they might have seen someone a little odd walking around the neighborhood a couple hours ago, and have to prioritize crimes in progress and felonies that need to be investigated quickly.
That is scary, hopefully city councils will see the error in this, but the way the police has been demonized, can’t really blame young people wanting being a police officer as a career anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies