Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 07:15 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup ----- but both sides are jumping on board of this.

We should all be concerned.

I believe that Facebook and Google should be transparent about how they use their information but at the same time if you don't know how they work and what they do with all the information you share -- when will you learn.

As for them gearing their business models to have people spend more time on their site.....um.....every business looks for strategies to enhance their profits..
But you are willing to take their word for it or so it seems.

Pushing for government control over social media is death to dissent and the party not in power.

We already have 2 instances of one party using their power to punish the other party

Lois Lerner and now Facebook.

Open and free discourse
Both parties have the right to apply for benefits...

No entity should have the power to make decisions that benefit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 07:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But you are willing to take their word for it or so it seems.

Pushing for government control over social media is death to dissent and the party not in power.

We already have 2 instances of one party using their power to punish the other party

Lois Lerner and now Facebook.

Open and free discourse
Both parties have the right to apply for benefits...

No entity should have the power to make decisions that benefit them.
WHAT? Whose word am I taking.

What word am I taking.

I'm saying that it is fishy and I don't support govt. control of Facebook.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:26 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
The criticism I heard from her testimony today was that she had suggested or 'promised' more substance and less -- bad for teen girls kind of stuff.

her testimony today was almost completely about the whole bad for children rhetoric which I think any reasonable person that has seen since myspace first popped up years ago as its just a place for a bunch of teens to get together and tell each other life sucks or compete for follows and likes, so of course its bad for them mentally. I have to laugh, but I kind of laugh at most everything.

The whole fat shaming thing is lie or smokescreen I think, this is all about getting more censorship power or some crap.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:26 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
Well youtube is taking down any anti-vax posts and vax 'misinformation'. Is this all about getting the other social sites to do the same (by law)? It's all about the vax. Or 99 percent. They don't care if a kid gets fat shamed.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:37 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
her testimony today was almost completely about the whole bad for children rhetoric which I think any reasonable person that has seen since myspace first popped up years ago as its just a place for a bunch of teens to get together and tell each other life sucks or compete for follows and likes, so of course its bad for them mentally. I have to laugh, but I kind of laugh at most everything.

The whole fat shaming thing is lie or smokescreen I think, this is all about getting more censorship power or some crap.

The children the children.

Yes she is a planted piece of a puzzle to give more censorhip power to government. 'Oh it's needs to be regulated'- oh my. And last but not least she is really playing up the money facebook and Zuckerberg make. If they didn't make the big bucks I doubt she would've had her job there.

She's basically all over the map but has to hit those trigger words, phrases and people. This is orchestrated.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:47 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
WHAT? Whose word am I taking.

What word am I taking.

I'm saying that it is fishy and I don't support govt. control of Facebook.
You mentioned "being concerned" which is what that whistleblower wants from people.

Facebook and the government can always go after specific accounts and webpages with no need to the control the entire social media ecosystem.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:39 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
After reading the information in the op's link, I see she contributed to AOC's ventures.
Now I understand why AOC wants to break up facebook.
Politics sure do make for strange bedfellows.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:27 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What does the left or right have to do with any of this? Is the right yelling on the corner that Facebook is fine just the way it is or are they always yelling about Twitter and how it has removed member who violate their TOS?

Just a reminder, Twitter is very selective in how the remove members who "violate their TOS." This has been known for quite a while.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:42 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Boy you so called right winger are working hard to discredit her, Why?
Russian Trolls are hard at work on these message boards to discredit her. I just hope the average don’t believe the BS being posted and do their own home work on this.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:18 AM

7,361 posts, read 3,529,717 times
The end result will be a social credit system to root out the unfavorable opinions and make social media safe again. I can see (in the future) government social media platform people will be compelled to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies