Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 07:01 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
To answer OP's question:

Because a good portion of men, apparently, are perverts who can't satisfy themselves and must involve others in their depravities.

Why is it your concern if that is what they want to do behind closed doors? Their bodies their choice. And I mean that for both the prostitute and the john.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 07:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
As the government becomes more desperate to track and tax all transactions, it may legalize. Or the underground economy may get huge as taxes and fees become unaffordable for the majority in all occupations.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post

This isn't a victimless crime. That said, I have no issue with the way brothels are carefully regulated in Nevada. The ladies work at these establishments of their own free will, they are all adults, they are paid a very good wage, management ensures that they are disease and drug free and security is excellent at Nevada's legal brothels. Life on the street for prostitutes female or male is a completely different matter.
So you are saying its possible to have legal prostitution without all the negatives associated with street prostitutes. What I am saying make it legal but also create a safe environment for it. Just like with Marijuana. Instead of buying out on the street you got a dispensary and purchase it. So you have a high security brothel where the girls are protected, no drugs are allowed and the girls are screened for STD's regularly. And protection is always used.

I think there is a misunderstanding by some here. I would be against just making it legal and letting street walkers roam the streets or massage parlors. It needs to be set up in a way where underage girls cannot be part of it and the drugs and other things associated with it now would not be allowed. Nevada has done it. It can be done.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:36 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding by some here. I would be against just making it legal and letting street walkers roam the streets or massage parlors. It needs to be set up in a way where underage girls cannot be part of it and the drugs and other things associated with it now would not be allowed. Nevada has done it. It can be done.
agreed. Not only in Nevada but in many other countries.

Most advocates for legalization of prostitution are not in favor of street prostitution, pimping nor pandering. It has been that for a long time. Most of the problems people associate with prostitution originates from the news and movies which overwhelmingly depicts/covers street prostitution. Those that already made up their minds on the topic will not go any deeper in understanding of the whole picture.

The obvious problem is control of access to market... or "territory". Criminal gangs and organizations have the means to control "territory" thus access to market which is leverage they use to control prostitutes. It was one of the main reasons why SESTA/FOSTA actually made the life of the prostitute more dangerous by removing access to market online and forcing them back on the streets.

I am totally against street prostitution, pimping, and pandering...

Old 10-08-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The obvious problem is control of access to market... or "territory". Criminal gangs and organizations have the means to control "territory" thus access to market which is leverage they use to control prostitutes. It was one of the main reasons why SESTA/FOSTA actually made the life of the prostitute more dangerous by removing access to market online and forcing them back on the streets.

SESTA/FOSTA was a true bi-partisan bill. I believe almost 100% in congress voted for it. Usually those are the worst bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I am totally against street prostitution, pimping, and pandering...
But like I said some people hear the word prostitution and think street walkers and pimps and don't want that legal. Its like marijuana. No one wanted drug dealers to be able to sell on the streets legally. To bring these things out of the black market you need licensed brick and mortar establishments. Done right all the negative stuff tied to prostitution would no longer exist.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:03 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
SESTA/FOSTA was a true bi-partisan bill. I believe almost 100% in congress voted for it. Usually those are the worst bills.

But like I said some people hear the word prostitution and think street walkers and pimps and don't want that legal. Its like marijuana. No one wanted drug dealers to be able to sell on the streets legally. To bring these things out of the black market you need licensed brick and mortar establishments. Done right all the negative stuff tied to prostitution would no longer exist.
I disagree with the comparison of mj and the monitoring if it as a comparison to legalizing prostitution. Case and point: opioids were both street accessible and prescription accessible. Giving Doctors much income to that abused drug.
So give a bit more thought when assuming that legalizing it somehow will suddenly keep the young ones from participating. Even the snuff films use underage (despite our govt having boots on the ground on deterring it).

The poster who claimed human trafficking 'vanished' in Nevada based on legalizing prostitution is incorrect. Per stat link ' Nevada tied for 9th in the nation (with Pennsylvania) for human trafficking cases reported in 2017, with 199 cases (NHTRC, 2017). The most common form of trafficking in Nevada is sex trafficking. The proportion of sex trafficking victims in Nevada (89%) is higher than the national average (71%).
* Pretty sure prostitution was legalized long before 2017 there.

No lady I know in her formative years aspires to make a career in that activity. Though I do know France and Germany freely boast about their brothels.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:54 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I disagree with the comparison of mj and the monitoring if it as a comparison to legalizing prostitution. Case and point: opioids were both street accessible and prescription accessible. Giving Doctors much income to that abused drug.
So give a bit more thought when assuming that legalizing it somehow will suddenly keep the young ones from participating. Even the snuff films use underage (despite our govt having boots on the ground on deterring it).

The poster who claimed human trafficking 'vanished' in Nevada based on legalizing prostitution is incorrect. Per stat link ' Nevada tied for 9th in the nation (with Pennsylvania) for human trafficking cases reported in 2017, with 199 cases (NHTRC, 2017). The most common form of trafficking in Nevada is sex trafficking. The proportion of sex trafficking victims in Nevada (89%) is higher than the national average (71%).
* Pretty sure prostitution was legalized long before 2017 there.

No lady I know in her formative years aspires to make a career in that activity. Though I do know France and Germany freely boast about their brothels.
Keep in mind that no one on the side of legalization believes this to be a silver bullet to eliminate human trafficking. But it still begs the question; Of all the labor types that have an issue with Human Trafficking why is only prostitution singled out. Why are consenting adult's rights ok to trample on for only prostitution causes.

The statistics out of Nevada are also not a good comparison. Because state wide, it is still illegal thus still thriving in places like Las Vegas. Only the remote areas of Nevada have legalized it. Generally street prostitution operates at a very small localized area..... "red districts of sorts" or the "strolls". That won't be impacted unless it is a statewide change is made. What does change are the conditions for the indoor prostitutes and the conditions they work in... that clearly is better in Nevada's brothels when compared to NYC underground.

fyi, Child prostitution is irrelevant here... legalization of prostitution would not legalize child prostitution.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
As the government becomes more desperate to track and tax all transactions, it may legalize. Or the underground economy may get huge as taxes and fees become unaffordable for the majority in all occupations.
Tax evasion is probably the real reason its a crime...but its still quite disturbing to see how many police enforce these laws so aggressively...that makes me think its personal to them, (a sin against God), thats why they enforce it so aggressively, (they believe they are doing gods work)

Old 10-08-2021, 10:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 855,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I just read about a guy in my city that hired 2 prostitutes, and apparently an argument broke out, and one girl shot the other girl...they did mention that the guy was facing prostitution charges.

Im guessing its a tax thing, (since they are not paying any income tax as a sex worker), Surely in this day and age, NO ONE would tolerate 'religious laws' being so aggressively enforced...Or would they?

Id like to ask a cop why this is so aggressively enforced, ( not all cops are religious/christian), so, Im not sure why they would have a problem with it. (and really, the only plausible concern over prostitution is due to 'religion')...its sinful in nature. I dont see any cops going out hassling people that go bar hopping or clubbing, and scoring with different partners every night...seems like their problem is with the paying for it aspect and that is sinful in their opinion and must not be tolerated.
The biggest reason prostitution is targeted so aggressively is because of other crimes that surround it. Other criminal activity. I knew a beat cop years ago who used to arrest prostitutes in John’s and he said he never arrested a prostitute in his 25 years of service that wasn’t a drug addict. They’re also often under the control of a pimp or handler. Being coerced into selling themselves if not out right forced. Now I think in some circumstances they do look the other way. Sugar dating for example. Quite popular. Younger women dating older men. And for that matter, the older women are getting into it now having their boy toys. Lol in this arena they tend to look the other way even though technically it is prostitution because all of those people are sleeping with the trailer for a “allowance”

It’s not just as simple as the act of prostitution itself. Which I would agree should be nobodies business if There are no other criminal factors involved. The problem is there usually is.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:21 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I just read about a guy in my city that hired 2 prostitutes, and apparently an argument broke out, and one girl shot the other girl...they did mention that the guy was facing prostitution charges.

Im guessing its a tax thing, (since they are not paying any income tax as a sex worker), Surely in this day and age, NO ONE would tolerate 'religious laws' being so aggressively enforced...Or would they?

Id like to ask a cop why this is so aggressively enforced, ( not all cops are religious/christian), so, Im not sure why they would have a problem with it. (and really, the only plausible concern over prostitution is due to 'religion')...its sinful in nature. I dont see any cops going out hassling people that go bar hopping or clubbing, and scoring with different partners every night...seems like their problem is with the paying for it aspect and that is sinful in their opinion and must not be tolerated.
Generally speaking, it's because a portion (I don't know how much) of the sex business is coercion and slavery of a form.

I have no problem with prostitution, if you want to go pay some gal at the Bunny Ranch in Vegas whom is willingly there then that is not my business.

But you go in a massage parlor and the gal there is from overseas and threatened with murder of her or her family back home then that is a whole other ball of wax now isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies