Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 09:40 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,030,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
C'mon Mikala. Is it so hard to say that the pandemic has been going on for over a year and a half and do the math on it. Give me a break please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
The effectiveness against severe disease - after ~2 months - is good, I suppose. Of course, what's the hospitalization rate for unvaxxed folks who get Covid anyway?

The real problem is the vaccine was "sold" as 95% preventing INFECTION.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...an/ar-BB1dBs6G

this study kind of blows that 95% (or even higher) out of the water. The efficacy against getting Covid is 20% after 7 months, yes?

Approximately 2.3MM have been hospitalized for Covid. Now, the article on the studies don't break down by age group. We know > 65 is both hospitalized and die at the much highest rates.

That's what we know, clearly. But that's not what policy is being based on.
Worse than that. Pfizer itself notes their own vaccine’s efficacy in preventing infection goes down to 47% after 5 months.

Research conducted in Southern California has confirmed the dramatic erosion of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine’s protection against “breakthrough” coronavirus infections.

The new study, one of the largest and longest to track the effectiveness of a vaccine in Americans, found that the vaccine’s ability to protect against infection stood at 88% in its first month, then fell to 47% after just five months.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...lt%3f_amp=true

Obviously, it is rather routine (at this point) for the vaccinated to become infected (by either vaccinated or unvaccinated folks) and spread Covid.

So the rationale (if one can call it that) for vax mandates and vax passports is a no go from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,187 posts, read 1,525,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
The cheerleaders will say that is because the overwhelming number of vaccinated got the Pfizer shot. This is the same logic that they use to explain why so many vaccinated in general come down with covid.
Yep, that's what will happen. Well, she is at least understanding toward my vaccine reluctance now. She knows what she was told. If she took the vaccine she would get her "life back". It would also be highly unlikely she would ever get Covid. Not true. Even the doctor is admitting that now and telling her about all the breakthroughs.

She is also freaked out that she was offered monoclonal antibody treatment immediately (that's still under an EUA). If the vaccine is protecting her so well, why would she even need that?

She was planning on getting a booster but is now understandably leery about that too.

8,609 posts, read 2,330,174 times
and since that's such a long post, let me summarize for any who don't realize:

Only from known cases:

for > 65 the hospitalization rate is 21% and the death rate is 10%.

for < 65 the hospitalization rate is 3.3% and the death rate is 0.7%.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:42 AM

8,439 posts, read 4,626,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What is a flu vaccine?
Influenza (flu) vaccines (often called “flu shots”) are vaccines that protect against the four influenza viruses that research indicates most common during the upcoming season. Most flu vaccines are “flu shots” given with a needle, usually in the arm, but there also is also a nasal spray flu vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/flushot.htm

Maybe, but people naturally gravitate to calling it a flu shot because it doesn't work like any vaccine they ever heard of.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:58 AM

48,716 posts, read 35,250,816 times
Because of the very small amount of vaccinated people getting hospitalized I think the math is safe to say of the 10% (CDC number of covid patients who are hospitalized), 1% are vaxed, and 9% are unvaxed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Maybe, but people naturally gravitate to calling it a flu shot because it doesn't work like any vaccine they ever heard of.

Hold on to your seat! I'm about to blow your mind....

In the UK they call all shots "jabs".

Hmmmmm. Makes you think.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,330,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's more awkward to use than NYT, as it does not give the average total, and NYT does. The CDC requires more math to come up with the daily total.

From that chart can you tell me how many total hospitalizations occurred to date?
perhaps you can link to the NYT chart.

the chart I linked - from the CDC - shows weekly rates, and you can select various groups, and the cumulative. The cumulative is a radio button, and says hospitalizations were 679.1/100K as of 9/24. I chose 9/24 because the CDC says their data gets more accurate within 2 weeks.

330MM/100K = 3,300 * 679.1 would be 2,241,030 hospitalizations.

If you scroll past the bar graph on this chart https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/covidnet/COVID19_5.html which is just a slightly different presentation, you see "Cumulative Case count by age group and the number 223,140. I don't see underlying explanation, but multiply that number by 10 (which seems to be correct based on the bar chart (they total 1,724 for all ages for the week) then you're at 2,223,140 cumulative, and we'd be at 17,240 new hospitalizations for the most recent week.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
and since that's such a long post, let me summarize for any who don't realize:

Only from known cases:

for > 65 the hospitalization rate is 21% and the death rate is 10%.

for < 65 the hospitalization rate is 3.3% and the death rate is 0.7%.

Link? It's hard to discuss if you don't share the data source. The numbers look about right.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 874,938 times
I am absolutely mind blown that we have one entity, the executive office issuing a mandate for a vaccine that does not work. And that’s just one of 1000 factors. Issuing a mandate for people who have natural immunity far superior to any of this crap they’re sticking in peoples veins.

It’s sickening what’s going on

Old 10-08-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post

It’s sickening what’s going on
LOL. I love irony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies