Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 11:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

I'm in the west, and really, the shortages are minimal. Our Costco and TJs have had no issues, Walmart seems to have the most empty shelves, but it is always short lived. Wait, a few months ago Costco didn't have there Kirkland sparkling water for a couple weeks.

Amazon has been fine. A few months ago our standard dog food order was interrupted for a few months, but not like there was no other dog food available.

The situation, at it's worst, is a minor inconvenience at times.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 11:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
You libs are really stretching to support Biden’s falling empire. You are basically saying we should lower our expectations because we are not as bad off as after a major world war. Lol. Y’all are lunatics.
I'm not liberal and I'm not starving to death either. Some of this doom and gloom gets out of control. Covid has given everyone enough anxiety, so pile on some more manure, that'll do a lot of good.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:09 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm in the west, and really, the shortages are minimal. Our Costco and TJs have had no issues, Walmart seems to have the most empty shelves, but it is always short lived. Wait, a few months ago Costco didn't have there Kirkland sparkling water for a couple weeks.

Amazon has been fine. A few months ago our standard dog food order was interrupted for a few months, but not like there was no other dog food available.

The situation, at it's worst, is a minor inconvenience at times.
Hilarious-

You must not have any exposure to real industry.

You cannot get parts for heavy equipment and many vehicles. If you want to buy any new farm equipment, construction equipment, or lawn tractors, you are out of luck.

My wife went out to buy a new dishwasher last week and found that they were out of stock of most brands and only the crap remained. She asked when they would get more models in and they said they did not know.

Food will be the last thing to go, as obviously there are priorities for food above anything else. Most of the food we eat, of course, is not imported, so we only have the trucking and rail shortages to overcome there.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hilarious-

You must not have any exposure to real industry.

You cannot get parts for heavy equipment and many vehicles. If you want to buy any new farm equipment, construction equipment, or lawn tractors, you are out of luck.

My wife went out to buy a new dishwasher last week and found that they were out of stock of most brands and only the crap remained. She asked when they would get more models in and they said they did not know.

Food will be the last thing to go, as obviously there are priorities for food above anything else. Most of the food we eat, of course, is not imported, so we only have the trucking and rail shortages to overcome there.
My washing machine broke and I was in a panic trying to find a replacement.
I gave up on window treatments because they said they didn't know when the materials would come in.
I'm still waiting on some IKEA furniture....second renewal of "notify me" email.

There are cracks in JIT which only works when all the pieces work.
If the cracks get too big or too many appear the entire system could topple and JIT will turn into SOL.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:46 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Took my parents over 5 months to get a fridge. My neighbor contracted to have a pool put in last year and they just now put it in as they couldn't get all the parts - as well as not having enough employees. I've already stated that I'm in Western NY. We've seen shortages of toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, foil, dog biscuits, vegetables ect. The grocery stores are now putting limits on how much you can buy of an item.

If you haven't faced it yet - kudos to you and you may be lucky enough to not experience it but just because it isn't happening in your area doesn't mean others aren't having a hard time finding things.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:01 PM

1,999 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Took my parents over 5 months to get a fridge. My neighbor contracted to have a pool put in last year and they just now put it in as they couldn't get all the parts - as well as not having enough employees. I've already stated that I'm in Western NY. We've seen shortages of toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, foil, dog biscuits, vegetables ect. The grocery stores are now putting limits on how much you can buy of an item.

If you haven't faced it yet - kudos to you and you may be lucky enough to not experience it but just because it isn't happening in your area doesn't mean others aren't having a hard time finding things.
I'm seeing the same here with part replacement and other things. I'm not saying it's not happening. It is a real problem. It took me months to get a garage door. Our dependency on China and Covid which also China owns has something to do with all of this. But, again if you read some of these threads you would think we were dealing with the apocalypse.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Oh yeah. Took me 4 months to get a dishwasher.

I never said there weren't any supply chain issues from a world wide pandemic.

I did say we are not going to starve, and that is nothing like WWII.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2021, 12:19 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The perfect storm ingredients have been added and mixed together. It is brewing now. Paying people to not work all year has some people liking not working. Other people wanting to go back to work have decided not to after Biden and Fauci told them they are not safe at work even with the vaccine in them. People that are willing to work are being banned from working because of their personal health choices.

It's already starting with shortages and much higher inflation than expected and the FED now admitting it won't be just transitory.

Last year I was the sad sap listening to the experts saying not to stock up. Wiping my ass with leaves won't happen to me this year. I am buying items and stocking up like crazy. 1 item limits everywhere, so buying what is available one at a time from multiple stores each and every day. I am going to stock up to the roof.

Brace For Shortages

How to Prepare for Food Shortages Coming in 2021 and 2022

Executives warn customers to brace for continued shortages and price hikes in 2022
I was in the military and was in Germany. We had ration cards - looooooooooooooong after WWII.

I wonder if we'll get those. Time for people to make lots of friends.

Our cards had alcohol, tobacco, and coffee. Easy to trade for what you want.

For example, I could buy coffee on my card and a veggie could buy meat on theirs, then, we trade.

The way Resident Brandon is 'running' things, a ration card would not surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You are east coast. Ships have been unloaded along the east coast.
The supply problem is west coast with 160 container ships sitting in the water.

We don't all get our processed food from a single port of entry.
Yet another reason I'm so happy that I got out of CA just in time. (Two weeks before lock downs, 1 normal week in my new digs - just enough time to get set up.)

Old 10-23-2021, 12:41 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh yeah. Took me 4 months to get a dishwasher.

I never said there weren't any supply chain issues from a world wide pandemic.

I did say we are not going to starve, and that is nothing like WWII.
It's not from the pandemic. We have friends in Germany who say they have no problems getting anything.

It is Brandon's ineptitude in dealing with the transportation issues.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:47 PM

292 posts, read 92,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The perfect storm ingredients have been added and mixed together. It is brewing now. Paying people to not work all year has some people liking not working. Other people wanting to go back to work have decided not to after Biden and Fauci told them they are not safe at work even with the vaccine in them. People that are willing to work are being banned from working because of their personal health choices.

It's already starting with shortages and much higher inflation than expected and the FED now admitting it won't be just transitory.

Last year I was the sad sap listening to the experts saying not to stock up. Wiping my ass with leaves won't happen to me this year. I am buying items and stocking up like crazy. 1 item limits everywhere, so buying what is available one at a time from multiple stores each and every day. I am going to stock up to the roof.

Brace For Shortages

How to Prepare for Food Shortages Coming in 2021 and 2022

Executives warn customers to brace for continued shortages and price hikes in 2022
I am hoping I am right but I don't believe we will be affected by food shortages due to most of our food being produced here in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies