Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM

6,007 posts, read 2,829,399 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/allstat...ts_pos2&page=1

"Many consumers are unhappy that car insurers use their credit histories in setting premium rates. Now an alternative is in sight—and some might like it even less. Insurers would be able to track how, when and where they drive."

Why are our credit scores being used to determine our auto insurance rates?

Better not brake too hard, your insurance will go up!

Will people really be this stupid to let companies engage in such a MASSIVE invasion of privacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 04:17 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Not me, Their insurance is too high anyway.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:19 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not me, Their insurance is too high anyway.
My zip code in Harris county is through the roof. My rate with one car is the same as son's in Dallas with 2 cars, and DD in Fl. with 4.

We let them put the thingy on the car. It did decrease the rate.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Blues View Post
You're going to need to show me the law on that one - and I'm going to venture that people would have to sign a legally-binding contract to go forward with it.

So this just sounds like illiteracy on the law to me.
"Since late summer, car insurer Allstate Corp. has been talking to state regulators about helping to lead an industrywide effort to transition in the coming years from sizing up risk in applicants with factors including credit scores to largely using telematics to determine rates, the company and regulators said."

That doesn't sound like it's legal to me. But, now they want to force EVERYONE into it. Scary times we live in...

Old 10-10-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We let them put the thingy on the car. It did decrease the rate.
Don't you feel creeped out by it? I would never willingly give up such valuable information like that.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:30 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Progressive has had that snapshot device you plug into your OBD port for years. I've never signed up for it because my rates are cheap enough as it is with Progressive, but supposedly you can get a discount for using it.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
First it was the onboard black boxes that recorded vehicle events. I knew where it was in my Chevy pickup - right under the console - and knew if I was in an accident to remove it before the police showed up.

Quote:
Well Sam, the evidence shows that not only did you not hit the brakes when you plowed into your ex-wife but you were actually accelerating!"
Now the circuits are distributed throughout the vehicles and who knows where it's actually stored.

I'm sure future vehicles will have this type of monitoring circuitry built in and well hidden. Insurance companies will have standard clauses that allows access to the data. Big Brother is watching.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:44 PM

7,328 posts, read 3,513,097 times
Well we will all be riding in mule powered jitneys or plugging our ebikes into windmills so we won’t need car insurance

Old 10-10-2021, 05:09 PM

860 posts, read 437,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/allstat...ts_pos2&page=1

"Many consumers are unhappy that car insurers use their credit histories in setting premium rates. Now an alternative is in sight—and some might like it even less. Insurers would be able to track how, when and where they drive."

Why are our credit scores being used to determine our auto insurance rates?

Better not brake too hard, your insurance will go up!

Will people really be this stupid to let companies engage in such a MASSIVE invasion of privacy?
What’s wrong with reduced rates for responsible people? I’m all for it. When you show you can consistently pay your bills your more likely to do other responsible things that cost money like maintain your tires. They’re looking to reduce rates for better drivers. Good for them.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:20 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
What’s wrong with reduced rates for responsible people? I’m all for it. When you show you can consistently pay your bills your more likely to do other responsible things that cost money like maintain your tires. They’re looking to reduce rates for better drivers. Good for them.
They will get you for anything you do wrong. Take off too fast they got ya. They would love it when i did WOT burst over 140mph in my Vettes brette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies