Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 08:03 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times

Advertisements

Are they Democrats? If so, I’m sure they will face minimal consequences, if any at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I just wonder what people who do this are thinking. They have two young children. He's a federal employee, she's a school teacher. I feel so bad for their children. I always believe when people in their positions do something like this, it's always for financial reasons. No excuses though, but dang, how out of it do you have to be to ruin your life like that and your children.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:15 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Traitors - who deserve what;s coming to them.

I am guessing that the undisclosed country they sold US Nuclear Submarine secrets to was China.

China are currently suggesting they will take Taiwan by force if necessary, so there is potential for a major war, and such secrets could make a lot of difference.
The FBI posed as the other country so nothing was actually disclosed. However they didn't say which country so basically China is a safe bet.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:31 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The FBI posed as the other country so nothing was actually disclosed. However they didn't say which country so basically China is a safe bet.
From what I understand, though, the FBI only became aware of things because the other country turned the evidence over to them upon receiving it in their mailroom. If this is correct, then unauthorized foreign nationals from "x" country did receive some of the information; indeed, they had to know what they were dealing with in order to know to turn to the FBI.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:43 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Was any form of internet surveillance or tracking of internet data used to aid the FBI in the arrest? If so, is that a violation of their rights or is that acceptable?
I am all for civil liberties for private citizens. But he had security clearances and was disclosing top secret information to a foreign government for his financial benefit.

But in this case it was very simple. He contacted a foreign government. That government contacted the FBI and relayed that information. He did a decent job consenting who he was. His idea was encrypting this information and getting paid in crypto. He was afraid of going to a preset location to get his "gifts" but the FBI convinced him to go to a physical location after getting this foreign government to put up some sort of flag at their embassy in DC. This flag was suppose to convince the perp that he was dealing with this government and not our feds.

I have no sympathy for people like him. And his wife. She went to the drop location with him. So apparently she knew what he was up to. They probably had the kids in the back seat.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 10-11-2021 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-11-2021, 08:48 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just wonder what people who do this are thinking. They have two young children. He's a federal employee, she's a school teacher. I feel so bad for their children. I always believe when people in their positions do something like this, it's always for financial reasons. No excuses though, but dang, how out of it do you have to be to ruin your life like that and your children.

I don't get why they would do it. They should be making a comfortable living. Why through your life away for a quick buck?

Old 10-11-2021, 08:56 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't get why they would do it. They should be making a comfortable living. Why through your life away for a quick buck?
These espionage cases have been interesting. While monetary greed often is the motivator, some seem to do it out of hatred for our country or for the thrill of it. If these allegations are true, I hope this guy and the wife spend a long, long time in jail.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Are they Democrats? If so, I’m sure they will face minimal consequences, if any at all.
I'll give you one guess where their political affiliations lie.

https://thepostmillennial.com/blm-su...uclear-secrets

Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 AM

862 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
From what I understand, though, the FBI only became aware of things because the other country turned the evidence over to them upon receiving it in their mailroom. If this is correct, then unauthorized foreign nationals from "x" country did receive some of the information; indeed, they had to know what they were dealing with in order to know to turn to the FBI.
He supposedly smuggle out thousands of pages of documents from his work place over several years. Sent some of them to the foreign country looking to sell them. The foreign country alerted the FBI who set up the sting.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I cannot imagine how stupid someone has to be to toss their life like that over a measly $100k (any money actually, but you get my point). I have no idea his salary, but I am sure it was at least $130k+ along with other perks.
There really is no logical explanation. Even if were for $1 million (traitors never get offered this much), you're still living with the fact you betrayed America, have to leave America, never return, and make sure the money never ran out while hoping the new country doesn't extradite you back to America.

Same as the idiot Edward Snowden, a contractor paid just fine who will never be able to travel freely again outside of Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies