Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 04:37 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Life Terms at least for doing this at a minimum.
Would not reject the Death Penalty either for these modern day Rosenbergs.

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested a Maryland couple on Saturday for attempting to sell "restricted data" on the design of nuclear-powered warships, the Justice Department reported."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ear-infomation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 05:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Well first off the engineer was not very sophisticated. Doing such transfers in a way that does not involve physical exposure or trackability is pretty simple. So not very bright.

Then we are talking about marine ships and power plants...not nuclear weaponry. So more commercial data theft than a security issue.

So lets see. At worst we should consider the capabilities of who is designing our nuclear fleet. And remember it is likely that we are going to get to fusion in the next 10 years...where upon the existing art is done for.

Last edited by lvmensch; 10-10-2021 at 05:27 PM..

Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I guess they never heard of the Rosenbergs

Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 540,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested a Maryland couple on Saturday for attempting to sell "restricted data" on the design of nuclear-powered warships, the Justice Department reported."

Was any form of internet surveillance or tracking of internet data used to aid the FBI in the arrest? If so, is that a violation of their rights or is that acceptable?

Old 10-10-2021, 11:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Given how long they let them do it, including payments made, seems they have an airtight case by design.

I cannot imagine how stupid someone has to be to toss their life like that over a measly $100k (any money actually, but you get my point). I have no idea his salary, but I am sure it was at least $130k+ along with other perks.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:00 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Well first off the engineer was not very sophisticated. Doing such transfers in a way that does not involve physical exposure or trackability is pretty simple. So not very bright.

Then we are talking about marine ships and power plants...not nuclear weaponry. So more commercial data theft than a security issue.

So lets see. At worst we should consider the capabilities of who is designing our nuclear fleet. And remember it is likely that we are going to get to fusion in the next 10 years...where upon the existing art is done for.
Very much a security issue. With enough knowledge of our propulsion systems, the adversary can better track and counter our submarines, giving them a potentially devastating edge. Staying stealthy is the name of the game in the submarine world.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:05 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

You could not be any more wrong.

Naval nuclear propulsion systems are classified by statute, not even the president can declass it.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 AM

27,139 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Traitors - who deserve what;s coming to them.

I am guessing that the undisclosed country they sold US Nuclear Submarine secrets to was China.

China are currently suggesting they will take Taiwan by force if necessary, so there is potential for a major war, and such secrets could make a lot of difference.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:22 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Given how long they let them do it, including payments made, seems they have an airtight case by design.

I cannot imagine how stupid someone has to be to toss their life like that over a measly $100k (any money actually, but you get my point). I have no idea his salary, but I am sure it was at least $130k+ along with other perks.
It's another case of the criminal who believes himself/herself to be such a mastermind that getting caught is unlikely. It happens with every crime, even murder.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:00 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I saw this and my first thought was to Eric Swalwell. He is the Democrat Senator that was messing around with the Chinese spy. He was also on panels that investigated Trump on so many things. He was never arrested, hardly questioned and he is still a Senator.

Oh well I guess it all depends on who you know and what your political affiliation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies