Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 05:47 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It wasn't ok. The european colonists just happened to be better armed and organized, that's it.

The native americans were no more or less moral and the ridiculous unscientific claims that they didn't do these bad things until the white man taught them how and made them drink liquor is utter and complete BS.
It’s a great thing that countries and people do not beat others up and take their possessions and land anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 08:56 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Liberals aren't actually who they pretend to be. They are just as driven by greed, envy, ego, and resentment as everyone else.

They make emotional arguments because they work, not because they believe them.
The idea that "all men are created equal" is also statement that comes from an emotional frame of mind. How many of us actually believe in human equality or think it is possible? Was there ever a time when people did believe in it?

This leads me to think that cognitive dissonance may be a part of human nature.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You'd rather listen to the rants of a politician who knows nothing about science and medicine
You've summed up very nicely the problem with the current White House resident. He is senile and should be pitied, not scorned, but dragged out of the White House before he does even more damage!

Old 10-13-2021, 11:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This leads me to think that cognitive dissonance may be a part of human nature.
Yep. And motivated-reasoning. It allows us to always be on the right side of every issue.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rica20

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cog...issonance.html

So what do you do about it?

Old 10-14-2021, 01:08 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You've summed up very nicely the problem with the current White House resident. He is senile and should be pitied, not scorned, but dragged out of the White House before he does even more damage!
I don't blindly toe any party lines. I studied the sciences in college. My undergraduate degree is in biology and I did graduate work in climatology - long before I ever heard of Joe Biden. I know that global warming is real just as I know that the Covid vaccine is based on good medical research and evidence. I am a Democrat because the Dems want to work to stop climate change and because Democrats are sensible enough not to give the entire pandemic the back of their hands the way you republicans do.

Joe Biden is not my favorite president by a long shot, but he's not senile and he's better than Trump - although "better than Trump" is a pretty low bar.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate about how much the OP despises indigenous peoples.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:52 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The Aztecs, the Mayans and what would become the Comanches were all brutal killers and enslavers of other tribes, just like the history of the world. As said above, because they "aren't White".

You get the good with the bad with our history. You can throw out all the discoveries and inventions over the years by the evil white people if you want
It is "Maya(s)" not "Mayan".

Mayan is only an adjective, the people are Maya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies