Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 11:48 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Parents are the first teachers. They are the ones who instill values, discipline and respect. At least they should. That's rarely the case though these days. These kids are out of control and teachers have to deal with them to try and teach at least 30 in a classroom which is too many. When you have to constantly discipline every else suffers. If you don't like how they teach then send your kids somewhere else. There are always choices.
Fine. Give me my goddamn money back then and stop sending me a bill for school taxes/fees going forward.

You don't get to forcibly take my money, then tell me to go somewhere else if I don't like it. Either you fix your product to my liking or give me my money back and you lose me as a customer going forward. And yes, "to my satisfaction" is determined at my sole discretion. There is no option that leads to any other outcome. And no, the terms of that deal are not negotiable.

Last edited by albert648; 10-24-2021 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 12:02 PM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Fine. Give me my goddamn money back then and stop sending me a bill for school taxes/fees going forward.

You don't get to forcibly take my money, then tell me to go somewhere else if I don't like it. Either you fix your product to my liking or give me my money back. There is no option that leads to any other outcome.
Hate to tell you this but you are wrong.

If I rob you, I get to do what I want with the money, it is now MY money. Many people say that taxation is almost robbery precisely because we have zero voice in how our taxes are used. These schoolboards are created locally so they must be repaired locally. Until local laws are amended to allow parents to send their children to any school they want, the only other option is to replace the schoolboard members.

Now, if the local laws are amended to give parents that tax reduction, then there would be no need for schoolboards at all because the private schools would be managed at the individual school levels where parents could and would have even greater involvement, if they want.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Hate to tell you this but you are wrong.

If I rob you, I get to do what I want with the money, it is now MY money. Many people say that taxation is almost robbery precisely because we have zero voice in how our taxes are used. These schoolboards are created locally so they must be repaired locally. Until local laws are amended to allow parents to send their children to any school they want, the only other option is to replace the schoolboard members.

Now, if the local laws are amended to give parents that tax reduction, then there would be no need for schoolboards at all because the private schools would be managed at the individual school levels where parents could and would have even greater involvement, if they want.
And until that happens, I have ZERO sympathy for the school boards or even teachers. And those parents are doing their jobs. You don't mess with people's kids. Anyone with a half a brain knows that. Like I said, if they don't like the fact that the parents are up in their face holding them accountable, they can give the parents their money back and disenroll the kids.

Board members who don't like the accountability can quit. The only way to have accountability in education is full privatization of all schools.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
And until that happens, I have ZERO sympathy for the school boards or even teachers. And those parents are doing their jobs. You don't mess with people's kids. Anyone with a half a brain knows that. Like I said, if they don't like the fact that the parents are up in their face holding them accountable, they can give the parents their money back and disenroll the kids.

Board members who don't like the accountability can quit. The only way to have accountability in education is full privatization of all schools.
They actually don’t have to listen to parents.

School board is elected. They have to listen to voters. And I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of areas there’s more voters without kids currently in the schools.

Parents are welcome to take their kids out of the public system and be responsible for their kids education themselves. Either private or at home. Most can’t afford private… we could end public funding for public schools… but they still couldn’t afford that.

So I guess until they figure a way out that doesn’t involve using my money… they’re gonna have to listen to all of us.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They actually don’t have to listen to parents.

School board is elected. They have to listen to voters. And I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of areas there’s more voters without kids currently in the schools.

Parents are welcome to take their kids out of the public system and be responsible for their kids education themselves. Either private or at home. Most can’t afford private… we could end public funding for public schools… but they still couldn’t afford that.

So I guess until they figure a way out that doesn’t involve using my money… they’re gonna have to listen to all of us.
You do have a point there. Taxpayers who aren't parents should not be paying school taxes. Taxpayers who are parents who don't have kids in public schools shouldn't be paying for schools either. Schools should be privately funded and operated.

Let the schools figure out how to deliver an acceptable product at a price that the market will bear. The market is an extremely effective disciplinarian.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Schools have strayed so far beyond basics that they are really not schools anymore. There's plenty for them to do that isnt' being done well... literacy first, followed by math, science, US government (ie: the constitution, etc.), arts, critical thinking, physical education and life skills. There's room for electives at upper grades and if kids were properly educated in the lower grades there could be a lot more choices, including trades,, and everyone could participate in them and find their strengths and passions to pursue in life. BUT we graduate people who have basically been in daycare and need remedial everything at college level. And we've reacted to that by creating college programs that don't require knowing much of anything except the ability to parrot back what someone says, which highlights the failures of "the system".

Old 10-24-2021, 12:57 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I thought schools desired more parental involvement, not less.
They want applause, not involvement.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:

For the Intellectual Left: The end justify the means..

Disclosure: Am a refugee from communism, an emigre to the US, a naturalized citizen, and a veteran.

For all the decades that I have lived in the US, it is quite beyond my comprehension that %99.999 of Americans do not realize this, especially when that attitude have been repeated the world over in ALL continents. For the Intellectual Left, your kids means NOTHING.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:14 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
TBH, the solution is simple: Schools fund themselves from tuition fees, NOT from property/school taxes. Then they can teach whatever they like so long as the customers (parents) don't object. Cut off all money to schools and let them earn their own way.

For as long as the schools take money from the residents of their districts, all property tax/school tax payers have a say in what is taught. The schools are accountable to ALL property tax/school tax payers. They are the customers. I'm not giving you thousands of dollars of MY MONEY without strings. End of Story.
First off many of us do not pay School Tax, our schools are required to prepare and submit a budget for approval and inclusion in the counties budget (or city/town as applicable). You will never not having parents objecting that just goes with the territory, but schools are a public obligation and as such strive to provide a balanced curriculum with enough options.

Its nice to say not to fund public education but like you I could break out a list of tax money recipients that I don't agree with but those are the obligations of living in society. As I posted be involved, the procedures are in place but mob rule and showing up demanding whatever because you said so is not going to work in any situation.

You are already giving "thousands of dollars of MY MONEY without strings" for any number of local government expenditures that you have no input over it just happens to be education in the spotlight right now. If your living in the NY metro you are getting so scr***d from your tax obligation that even I feel sorry for you...

Old 10-24-2021, 01:17 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Not these days - there is an agenda to push and it involves CRT being rammed into schools.
Can you provide a valid link where that is occurring? I've asked repeatedly but no one can provide it. thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies