Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 10:49 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,602,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
Saying Christmas is “at risk” due to supply chain problems, leads me to believe that you don’t know the reason for Christmas.
Whoever said Christmas is at risk must be referring to the commercial Christmas, not the real Christmas.

Some dems are gleeful that Christmas shopping may be cancelled to a degree. This is an achievement they never dreamed could happen, and they thank the pandemic for making it happen. They will keep the pandemic alive as long as possible.

But even if commercial Christmas went away it would only make the real Christmas stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 11:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Christmas means different things to different people. Many people who are not Christian celebrate the holiday. For those people it is good company, ambience, food and drink, and gifts. It isn't up to you to define what Christmas is for everybody. That is sort of what a liberal would do.
Thats fine if people want to get together and enjoy each others company, but they are not celebrating Christmas...Christmas is celebrating the birth of Christ, there are no two ways around that, its simply what Christmas is.

Strange to me, that so many cling to a christian celebration.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:07 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think shortages might help in that people might be "forced" to become more creative and thoughtful in their gift giving.

I think that for adults, at least, a well-chosen item pertaining to one of their interests found in a small independent shop (or even antique/secondhand store if the item is in good condition) might be appreciated more than just another shirt from a chain store, for example. And many might even appreciate something handmade or homemade. (Personally, although I don't like handmade crafty things, I do appreciate anything home-baked or chocolate, LOL.)

Also, of course, there are always gift cards -- which could be made special if a creative and heart-felt handwritten message accompanies the card.
Absolutely! A little thought and creativity to a gift can go a long way. As would remembering the real "reason for the season".

Old 10-31-2021, 03:29 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Maybe the unions are fighting for a bigger share of the huge profits.
The average longshoremen's union member makes $178k a year plus benefits.

Cry me a ****ing river. Any president/secretary of transportation would tell them to go to hell and hire non-union employees to bust up the unions.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, based on some of the articles/posts I have read, I decided to do my Christmas shopping a bit early -- and I was very surprised to see how difficult it was to find baby outfits available online at Target. I was not particular -- just wanted to order a couple of outfits, size 12 months, for my grandson -- and there were only about ten different ones to choose from online that were still available in his size!! I clicked on at least eight that were out of stock in his size (and many other sizes as well) -- and many of the ones that were available, were Halloween or Christmas themed!

I think that many holiday shoppers are going to be unpleasantly surprised in another month!
Keep checking back, especially after midnight. They re-stock frequently.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
...Any president/secretary of transportation would tell them to go to hell and hire non-union employees to bust up the unions.
Do longshoremen work for the Fed Gov? I don't think they do.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I was I my local Beet Buy last weekend and there were so many boxed TVs overflowing the store floor area that the fire marshal would freak over the lack of access to exit doors. No inventory problems there at all.

If you’re looking for whatever the heck the 2021 version of tickle me Elmo is, there will be shortages for whatever the hot item is, just like there always is. But for a lot of items, I suspect stores are trying to whip you into a frenzy so you’ll buy both early and at full price

Old 11-02-2021, 01:39 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Keep checking back, especially after midnight. They re-stock frequently.
This was online shopping.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Ports are open in Florida.

Shocking that the ships remain off the coast of California.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Ports are open in Florida.

Shocking that the ships remain off the coast of California.
Takes an extra week each way provided the ships fit through the Panama Canal, which some of them may not, and a lot of warehouse infrastructure was built assuming a Long Beach or other West Coast delivery. It's not as easy as DeSantis seems to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies