Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:37 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
We just have to turn a blind eye and accept things like this, so we can enjoy all the benefits of diversity and multiculturalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...irmingham.html
Savages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 10:37 AM

78,389 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
We just have to turn a blind eye and accept things like this, so we can enjoy all the benefits of diversity and multiculturalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...irmingham.html
Street brawls are not the sole purveyance of any one group.

This is the UK, their soccer fans are nuts just to name one group in particular.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 15,982 times
Quote:
They aren't "Asian", they're middle easterners.
Refugees nonetheless.
In the U.K. we use the term Asian to describe people from Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Bangladesh etc. These places are in South Asia. They are Asian. Maybe check your facts before attempting to give me geography lessons.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm wait just a minute here. "A country where you don't live" you say? That hasn't kept scores of UK types on here from bashing the US about how we do things with zero insight into why we do things the way we do. That being said I don't try and tell you UK folks your wrong in your views and ways though I have been known to make observations about certain things.

On that note I do see that no guns or knives were used (or just not mentioned) in this cool brawl. I get all warm and fuzzy seeing Islamowackos beat each other with blunt instruments. So, I have to wonder, will this result in the banning of hammers, bats (Cricket not baseball I assume?) fence posts and such do you think? Or at least age and background checks before being allowed to purchase such items. This has been a pattern in the past for response to such incidents as this in the UK.

And no, I don't live there so I really can't say how little I care, just a passing curiosity. I won't be crushed if that curiosity isn't satisfied.
Opinions on the U.K. can be expressed by anyone at all, and they frequently are. But making sweeping generalisations about an entire country based upon one video from a tabloid paper is a tad much, no?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:44 AM

78,389 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because white Americans never commit brutal crimes.

Yeah you might want to do a little more reading.
This is true.

However, regardless of pigmentation your average Afghani is going to have some cultural views and behaviors that are very very different than you might typically find here in the US.

Imagine if I told you that 100 people were moving to your neighborhood this week and it was a group of hunnic tribespeople from the 12th century, some spanish catholics from the 17th century and a group of comanche from the 19th century....plus a bunch of white male southerners from the 1940's.

Good times! But don't worry, if any do something bad...well everyone does bad things from time to time.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Street brawls are not the sole purveyance of any one group.

This is the UK, their soccer fans are nuts just to name one group in particular.
Sadly true. And they’re mostly drunk white men who embarrass us internationally constantly during football tournaments.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is true.

However, regardless of pigmentation your average Afghani is going to have some cultural views and behaviors that are very very different than you might typically find here in the US.

Imagine if I told you that 100 people were moving to your neighborhood this week and it was a group of hunnic tribespeople from the 12th century, some spanish catholics from the 17th century and a group of comanche from the 19th century....plus a bunch of white male southerners from the 1940's.

Good times! But don't worry, if any do something bad...well everyone does bad things from time to time.
These folks in Birmingham were the folks that were working with the UK govt. And we have no idea if the people in the video are in fact refugees or families that have lived there for years.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:51 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Refugees nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverfields View Post
In the U.K. we use the term Asian to describe people from Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Bangladesh etc. These places are in South Asia. They are Asian. Maybe check your facts before attempting to give me geography lessons.
It's not a question of geography, it's a question of language usage. Both Korea and India are located in the continent of Asia, but no one routinely refers to people from BOTH of those countries as Asian. In the U.S., Asian means East Asian and also usually Southeast Asian. In England, Asian means South Asian. Neither is more or less correct than the other, it's just the way we do things. Personally, I wish that "South Asian" and "East Asian" would come into common usage so it would be easier to identify someone from New Delhi or Seoul without having to worry about regional language differences.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not a question of geography, it's a question of language usage. Both Korea and India are located in the continent of Asia, but no one routinely refers to people from BOTH of those countries as Asian. In the U.S., Asian means East Asian and also usually Southeast Asian. In England, Asian means South Asian. Neither is more or less correct than the other, it's just the way we do things. Personally, I wish that "South Asian" and "East Asian" would come into common usage so it would be easier to identify someone from New Delhi or Seoul without having to worry about regional language differences.
Correct. We would say Korean, Japanese, Chinese. We wouldn’t call those nationalities Asian, even though we know that’s the continent of their origin. We have a greater population of South Asian countries here, hence why we would use the term Asian.
Either way, they aren’t Middle Eastern.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:08 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Refugees nonetheless.
no, you chose to type "Afghan" and "refugee" even though the link doesn't say either, anywhere.

So why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies