Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
And you think biden represents me??????? A…….

Heterosexual
White
Law abiding
White
Employed
Tax-paying
Male

Really? I am everything Biden (and you) despise.
In their defense, they love your tax dollars. They couldn’t survive without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 11:02 PM

449 posts, read 195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
No. Remember when I said let sports just be sports? Or that people didn't have to like the kneeling? I was trying to explain to the poster who keeps not comprehending what I was calling trashy, or what I was saying was hypocritical.

Oh well, I guess politics are part of sports now, so everybody should just accept it or cut it out, no matter what "side" they are on. Lose the profanity, though. My opinion.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me since you failed to name "the poster," so if it was ....

You never answered the question...

So you're saying the "vocal" profanity is worse than the symbolic ?

How about the Veterans who served to allow those who knelt to do what they did ? You think they may see that action as "profane?"
How about the loved ones who lost fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters.... do you think kneeling during the anthem and disrespecting the flag was not "profane" to them....?

Merriam-Webster

Definition of profanity
1a : the quality or state of being profane
Definition of profane
transitive verb
1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

b : the use of profane language
2a : profane language
b : an utterance of profane language

What say you ?

Last edited by nakadinhi; 10-14-2021 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-15-2021, 12:42 AM

185 posts, read 89,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
A progressive leftist GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL said “we are gonna impeach the mother****er” Referring to Trump. Yet, leftists didn’t even bat an eye
https://youtu.be/NVBqXvMouJg

But when normal people said “**** you biden” at a sporting events and leftists are like “hey guise let’s be civil”

I guess you want civil politics only if your guy is in charge?

Sorry, but civil politics left the the building 5 years ago

Exactly.

The " ̶t̶o̶l̶e̶r̶a̶n̶t̶" intolerant left have always been the biggest hypocrites in the room.

On Twitter, many even hoped President Trump would've died when he contracted covid.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/trump-...-for-covid-19/

Quote:
Some prominent Donald Trump-haters — including “The Wire” actor Dominic West and a former spokeswoman for Hillary Clinton — are openly rejoicing over the president catching COVID-19.

Ex-spokeswoman Zara Rahim, who has also worked for Barack Obama and Vogue magazine, said in a since-deleted tweet that she “hopes he dies.”

She also tweeted a smiling selfie captioned “This f***ing rules.”
And it didn't stop there. Twitter was FULL of libs saying this and wishing ill of him.

Now they're whining about being civil???
What a complete joke they all are.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:33 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
I'm not sure if this is directed at me since you failed to name "the poster," so if it was ....

You never answered the question...

So you're saying the "vocal" profanity is worse than the symbolic ?

How about the Veterans who served to allow those who knelt to do what they did ? You think they may see that action as "profane?"
How about the loved ones who lost fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters.... do you think kneeling during the anthem and disrespecting the flag was not "profane" to them....?

Merriam-Webster

Definition of profanity
1a : the quality or state of being profane
Definition of profane
transitive verb
1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

b : the use of profane language
2a : profane language
b : an utterance of profane language

What say you ?
Ah, a dictionary definition. The word is conventionally and usually dealing with language in every day use. I don't see kneeling as profane. If people do, that is their opinion and they don't have to like kneeling. I just hope then they are consistent and don't be hypocritical in bringing politics and profanity of any sort, conventional or otherwise, into sports.

I kinda think it might be nice to really take politics out of sports and not do the National Anthem or flag before domestic sports. I mean, I get it when playing against other nations and the like, but in everyday sports, why? It started mainly as a form of positive patriotism during dark War times, but it's become a rote display. *shrug*

Old 10-15-2021, 01:51 AM

449 posts, read 195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Ah, a dictionary definition. The word is conventionally and usually dealing with language in every day use. I don't see kneeling as profane. If people do, that is their opinion and they don't have to like kneeling. I just hope then they are consistent and don't be hypocritical in bringing politics and profanity of any sort, conventional or otherwise, into sports.

I kinda think it might be nice to really take politics out of sports and not do the National Anthem or flag before domestic sports. I mean, I get it when playing against other nations and the like, but in everyday sports, why? It started mainly as a form of positive patriotism during dark War times, but it's become a rote display. *shrug*
Still no answer to the question .... ?

Why the need to water down the definition to defend your position ?

It's where the kneeling is taking place.... because standing while the National Anthem is being played has always been to show patriotism to the country for the sacrifices which were made.

What the kneeling portrayed was as the definition says, showed irreverence and contempt towards the symbol which is revered by our country and what it stands for.

The National Anthem or flag were never seen as political before the kneeling.... it was seen as patriotic.
It's the "kneelers" who made it political...

Your "neutrality" is telling ...

Old 10-15-2021, 02:37 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times
I'm going to call Nakadinhi the winner on this debate. Latimeria is deflecting and being obtuse at this point (no points for that tactic).

Unfortunately all Presidents now seem to have forgotten they are supposed to represent the entire country (not just 50%). And as long as you do that, you are going to have an extreme division. Biden has doubled down on that by not only representing only half the country, but essentially villainizing anyone not in agreement with him. I see no avenue to unite people by employing that strategy.

Old 10-15-2021, 02:46 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times
'China' Joe won't even remember his Presidency, but we will all remember it as the worst in American history!

Old 10-15-2021, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
Still no answer to the question .... ?

Why the need to water down the definition to defend your position ?

It's where the kneeling is taking place.... because standing while the National Anthem is being played has always been to show patriotism to the country for the sacrifices which were made.

What the kneeling portrayed was as the definition says, showed irreverence and contempt towards the symbol which is revered by our country and what it stands for.

The National Anthem or flag were never seen as political before the kneeling.... it was seen as patriotic.
It's the "kneelers" who made it political...

Your "neutrality" is telling ...
Yes, I answered it. If you can't see that, oh well.

Oh, what is it telling you? The reasons that it came to be pretty much mandatory at games is tied to politics - originally getting the public to support war efforts. I'm tired of forced patriotic displays like at domestic sports where some think there's no way you can love this country unless you do it the exact "right" way. (Right as in correct according to them, not right leaning, though it does seem to correlate at least somewhat to that too.) That's been ramping up over time. It cheapens it. Kneeling wasn't the first political connection to the Anthem, even. And if someone doesn't like that people are bringing politics into sports, they shouldn't do it themselves as people are now. Let sports be sporty.

And in general, I'm just plain tired of all this left/right nonsense, where you have to fit neatly into one side or you must be the enemy. Where if you're not a Republican/right, you must be a Democrat/left, never mind that it's getting close to where a majority of people belong to neither and/or fall more towards being on the moderate side of things.

Even at the last election, I voted overwhelmingly for Republicans, though after antics since, there's maybe 1 I would vote for. But that doesn't make me a Democrat or left or whatever. It makes me frustrated that there aren't really many good options period out there for someone like me to vote for.

Have a good day.

Last edited by latimeria; 10-15-2021 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-15-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I'm going to call Nakadinhi the winner on this debate. Latimeria is deflecting and being obtuse at this point (no points for that tactic).

Unfortunately all Presidents now seem to have forgotten they are supposed to represent the entire country (not just 50%). And as long as you do that, you are going to have an extreme division. Biden has doubled down on that by not only representing only half the country, but essentially villainizing anyone not in agreement with him. I see no avenue to unite people by employing that strategy.
It's not hard to understand. I have been talking about profanity as it pertains to language. Another definition that is not commonly used in everyday language was introduced. I said I didn't see it that way. But some people seem to, and they can. But it's annoying and hypocritical to me because I am seeing a lot of people who were aghast at kneeling and politics in football reveling in this version of politics in sports. Just gets old to see the back and forth pearl clutching.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Well football does cause brain injury.....guess its spreading thru the stadium now.

So sad.....

Get well soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies