Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 09:15 AM

44,982 posts, read 26,132,413 times

Advertisements

given past performances and the fact that his employer is what caused this mess in the first place, the supply chain might do better without his or its interference.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:21 AM

10,193 posts, read 4,126,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The guy is not effective.

QFT

I pick on mayor Pete (as I have stated before) because he is less suited to this job than my dead grandmother.

But he is 'diverse', (whatever that means).

I am angry cuz Wick Moorman was floated for the job (look him up, linkin to him and read his CV) He is perhaps one of the top 5 people on this planet suited for the job. But, he was not diverse enough. And he is conservative, but generally politically agnostic.

IF you wanted to mend bridges (in our case, literally) he was the man.

WE can make the same case for every single cabinet pick....but this one stands out cuz MOST of our problems with supply chain stand under the DoT responsibilities.

If one were cynical they would point out that supply chain is SOOOO bad, it appears to be engineered and indeed when the longshoremen put up most of the defense to long beach and western ports in general, Canada offered to use BC and lo and behold, someone lit fire to the rail lines leading outwards from it. The RCMP is pretty sure the attack came from across the border (meaning: here) but whomever did it, like most good leftists, have no earthly idea how things work, especially RRs who have well over 150 years of experience. They rebuild miles of track and bridges in DAYS, not years.

(on that note the current admin has done everything in their power to make enemies of Canada, not understanding how north american commerce actually works. Should we be worried now about canadian tanks at our borders? ;-)

Old 10-15-2021, 09:29 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,526,176 times
Quote:
Please don’t turn this into a thread bashing on gay parents. It’s irrelevant. The man is as entitled to family leave as anybody else.

There’s enough valid material to knock Buttigieg’s performance without stopping to lowest-common-denominator gay bashing. The guy is not effective.
Yuppp, this right here. As a gay dude in the transportation industry, I thought this pick was embarrassing for Biden. The sudden dropout of Buttigieg when he was the front runner in Democrat primaries was clearly because he was offered a cabinet position. I wonder if McConnell’s wife would have been able to solve this.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:35 AM

10,274 posts, read 3,890,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
FWIW those ships started appearing in January with 38 sitting off the coast.
Him taking leave in August is not pertinent to the crisis.
I wonder how much of those goods are food? Even canned stuff could spoil if it's left for months in a container that can become extremely hot in the summer, and we have had a very hot summer this year.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,451,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I wonder how much of those goods are food? Even canned stuff could spoil if it's left for months in a container that can become extremely hot in the summer, and we have had a very hot summer this year.
My husband has been killing it around this house with humorous imagined tales of Chinese merchant sailors sustaining their long delays at sea by eating wilted Chilean produce. It’s much funnier when he does it.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:40 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
What specifically can the federal govt. do to expedite the unloading of ships at the port?

Old 10-15-2021, 09:44 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,451,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What specifically can the federal govt. do to expedite the unloading of ships at the port?
Loosen port/transportation regulations on an emergency basis to allow expedited movement.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:48 AM

20,875 posts, read 19,336,057 times
Every trucker in the country should adopt a baby and take two months off.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 AM

10,193 posts, read 4,126,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

you mean the STB (aka old ICC) that controls all movement of goods between states and over rules state laws on the commerce? THAT one?

Did you REALLY ask that question? lol

Old 10-15-2021, 09:53 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
Quote:
Loosen port/transportation regulations on an emergency basis to allow expedited movement.
Which specific regulations are causing the jam?

I've been on this issue since the end of last year and I have read nothing from the 'trade' articles (those in shipping etc.) that have talked about specific federal regulations that are causing the back up.

I seriously would like to know specifically what federal policy is partly responsible, recognizing any issue has many factors influencing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies