Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 03:22 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times

Advertisements

Here is my thoughts on the situation with George Floyd. How the way he died was messed up. I can agree to that. Again om not Chauvin was a systemic racist. I'm sure if Floyd was white, Chauvin would have done the same thing. Again I don't know what was going on in Chauvin head that day.

And yes I'm goign to say this. If your someone who is into black pathology, black pain and black trauma. May 25th 2020.
thst day is your holocaust, that day is your pearl harbor, that day is your 9/11. Those nine minutes of knee on Floyd's neck is your 9 minutes of silence going forward for years to come.

Another big issue with George Floyd rallies is that many Americans especially the young were out of work and thr Floyd movement was the perfect time to take aim at the government and wall street. The protests and overreaction put the capitalist class in a bind which they favored the woke. Also the woke use George Floyd as a means for a power grab of society. Big tech, wall street and many other industries caved into teh demands of the woke after the death of Floyd without thinking about other people in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 03:57 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Just a bit.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Someone in the teacher caught with marijuana edibles thread said that if you raise the teacher pay maybe we'd get better teachers.. that case could be made with cops also.

Also I think you really would need to spend time as a cop in the hood and understand what they go through and how it can make them jaded after awhile. It's not a job I would want. After awhile I know I'd be treating thugs with a long rap sheet more harshly than joe citizen that complies with orders and has no criminal record.

It's a chicken or the egg argument... are blacks criminals because of systematic racism against them by cops or do cops act like thugs towards them because so many are criminals and cop an attitude when they are pulled over?
Local cops get $16.69 an hour here. Don't know why anyone would want the job.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:32 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Be realistic. I was in the Army with blacks and whites mixed and worked in a factory the same. Blacks and whites were equally racist against each other. What surprised me in the factory was that the black women were the most racist of all.
George Floyd should not have died the way he did. But with his history, if a cop had not killed him, somebody else probably would have.
I believe the bolded to be true and proven daily as one goes about their normal day, out shopping or just walking around the city. Black females are much more standoff-ish than the males. One prime example, the black family I live next door to. They have a son who I guess to be about 20, nicest guy in the world, always has a smile on his face, very friendly, never has he not said hello or waved in passing. His father is rarely around due to his work, but when I do see him we exchange hello's and have a few friendly interactions over time. The two females who reside in that home have gone out of their way to ignore us any time we see each other in front of the house, going to far as to turn away when I have greeted them with an Hello. For over four years living next to them not once have the females made any attempt to be friendly.
I believe it's another example of being taught to hate whites, hate authority, etc., taught to them from the cradle. They don't get that way by accident. I don't think most white people give much thought to a person's color, character is all that is important. Most blacks can't of anything but color. Racism isn't due to color, it is due to lifestyle. There are an awful lot of wonderful black people, unfortunately still too many N words, there is a difference, they are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Grumpy ol' Man; 10-17-2021 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-17-2021, 04:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
African Americans commit an extremely disproportionate number of violent crimes in urban areas of the United States. This is a fact that has been known for many decades, even if people don’t say it out loud.

People are first and foremost concerned about their own safety and the safety of their families. They will do whatever it takes to keep themselves out of harm’s way.
People do say it outloud - you’re saying it right now - and the statistics back that up.

However, that’s not the point. The point is police profiling, arresting, and using excessive force against black people when it’s not warranted. It’s not about them proportionately committing more crimes than white people - it’s about them disproportionately being killed and injured unnecessarily by police.

At the same time, I’m just as outraged about white people and people of any other race who are subjected to over aggressive policing that leads to their injury or death. Thing is, it doesn’t happen to these people nearly as often as it happens to black people.

We have the same problem with police and First Nations people in Canada. Proportionately, they commit more crimes than just about any other race (although one must remember that the police are the ones filing these charges to justify their arrests, and the Crown - or prosecution - has a vested interest in not making the police look bad by dropping the charges if they think police were overly aggressive.) Does that mean that it’s ok when the police unjustly harass, arrest, injure or kill First Nations people? I would say no.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:53 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
My big gripe with the aftermath of george floyd was the power grab by the woke left and how media, politicians, capitalist class all caved into the demands from thr woke left which came out of academia.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:08 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
This whole white this racism stuff is only in the Anglosphere btw.
If you consider South Africa under Apartheid part of the Anglosphere, then maybe you’re right. Perhaps there is something about the culture of England that has been carried over to the other countries in the Anglosphere.
At the same time, it doesn’t take a lot of reading to learn about all the different kinds of racism and prejudice that exist in just about every culture on this planet. Thing is, we don’t live in those countries. We live here and must deal with our own problems.

Regarding the Anglosphere, can you think of any historical or sociological phenomenon that might have created the conditions where white people were able to institute racist policies against black people and other races to make their lives more difficult and create a society where their interests are ignored.

Things are no doubt changing for the better in these places, and we’ve come a long way from the bad ole’ days. That doesn’t mean that racism is over and we can all sit around the fire of prosperity and equality singing Kumbaya. There are still issues that need to be addressed but some people refuse to accept that. They take it personally and dismiss it instead of trying to understand the issue better and see how they can help create a society that’s equitable for everyone.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I believe the bolded to be true and proven daily as one goes about their normal day, out shopping or just walking around the city. Black females are much more standoff-ish than the males. One prime example, the black family I live next door to. They have a son who I guess to be about 20, nicest guy in the world, always has a smile on his face, very friendly, never has he not said hello or waved in passing. His father is rarely around due to his work, but when I do see him we exchange hello's and have a few friendly interactions over time. The two females who reside in that home have gone out of their way to ignore us any time we see each other in front of the house, going to far as to turn away when I have greeted them with an Hello. For over four years living next to them not once have the females made any attempt to be friendly.
I believe it's another example of being taught to hate whites, hate authority, etc., taught to them from the cradle. They don't get that way by accident. I don't think most white people give much thought to a person's color, character is all that is important. Most blacks can't of anything but color. Racism isn't due to color, it is due to lifestyle. There are an awful lot of wonderful black people, unfortunately still too many N words, there is a difference, they are mutually exclusive.
I made some good black friends in Kansas City. Best neighbor I had was black. But in the workplace, the older men were friendly, the younger ones were not.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
If you consider South Africa under Apartheid part of the Anglosphere, then maybe you’re right. Perhaps there is something about the culture of England that has been carried over to the other countries in the Anglosphere.
At the same time, it doesn’t take a lot of reading to learn about all the different kinds of racism and prejudice that exist in just about every culture on this planet. Thing is, we don’t live in those countries. We live here and must deal with our own problems.

Regarding the Anglosphere, can you think of any historical or sociological phenomenon that might have created the conditions where white people were able to institute racist policies against black people and other races to make their lives more difficult and create a society where their interests are ignored.

Things are no doubt changing for the better in these places, and we’ve come a long way from the bad ole’ days. That doesn’t mean that racism is over and we can all sit around the fire of prosperity and equality singing Kumbaya. There are still issues that need to be addressed but some people refuse to accept that. They take it personally and dismiss it instead of trying to understand the issue better and see how they can help create a society that’s equitable for everyone.
'it doesn’t take a lot of reading to learn about all the different kinds of racism and prejudice that exist in just about every culture on this planet"

It is everywhere. Mexicans (Aztecs) and Guatemalans (Mayans) can't stand each other. One Guatemalan told me it goes back hundreds of years to when they fought all the time.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Yeah, Felon Floyd's brother sure cashed in on GoFundme with $14 Million. His entire family played the sob story "feel sorry for me" garbage and people ate it right up and made this trash family millionaires. I wonder what he spent the money on? Talk about a brother who made millions off the death of his lowlife brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies